Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ambush from Behind?

Yes | No

Default Ambush from Behind?

I have been wondered about something. I have about 1 year's worth of Kempo and then a year's worth or grappling under my belt. But I haven't learned a counter in grappling for an ambush from behind. Its very usual for a fighter in MMA too get into a "bear hug" from behind that traps both arms. But such an attack would seem likely on "da Str33t" by a mugger. Usually you get suplexed or taken down if you don't use your legs to hook your opponents legs before the throw. I'm used to starting from bad positions like the back mount on the ground but not standing. What should I do?

Osiris

Yes | No

Break the grip as you drop your base and go from there.

Yes | No

Breaking the grip is the problem. Your arms are trapped. What about just butt flopping to the ground?
    Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by Stupidity. -the Imperial Minister of Truth

FUCK YOU YOU KNOW NOTHING !!! UNTIL YOU COMBINE ANTI-GRAPPLING , ANTI-STRIKING , AND ANTI-TACTICS - ALL ON A PERFECT BASE OF ANTI-CONDITIONING YOUWILL BE THE BITCHASSMOHERPUNK OF THE SUCK -Djimbe

Osiris

Yes | No

They have them below the elbow?

Yes | No

Ok, you're walking down the "Street" and a mugger suddenly grabs you from behind in a bear hug trapping both arms. The grip can be below the elbows or above the elbows. I want to know a counter to both grips.

Osiris

Yes | No

Actually, he wont grab you below the elbow. Thats rather low. So hes either got you on the elbow or above. Either way theres a certain hand position you use to break the lock. I really cant explain it in detail.

Punisher

Yes | No

I think it's more likely for someone to hit, push, or tackle you from behind then get you in a static bear hug.

Likely you're going to be forced forward either by the blow or the guys continued momemtum.

If you're hit or pushed, assuming your're not knocked out, you have to recover your balance, assess the threat and deal with it from there. At my dojo we do drills were you close your eyes and your partner pushes you from behind, hard enough you have to take a couple of steps. You recover, turn around, and have to decide what to do given a variety of parameters. You don't want to go straight ninja on a guy that accidently ran into you.

If your forward momentum is so great that you can't recover, you should comply and try to roll with it the best you can. If the guy has his arms wrapped around you, try to pin them to your body and end up on top.

Registered Member noob kismasher's Avatar

Yes | No

here's how you do it:

1. he traps both arms:
    really, i don't see the problem here, just curl your arms and base to one side, then suplex his stupid ass

2. doesn't trap the arms:
    okay, i know this takes practice, but the hand that he is GRIPPING ONTO is the weak point. Not the one grabbing. use both your arms and grab the same forearm that he is holding and push down. two on one should break the grip. you may have to throw an elbow to his face as well

obviously these are only two of a myriad of possibilities.

Yes | No

If hes got you lifted off the ground, bring your heel up to hit him in the groin. Once on the ground, give a rear headbut to his face. Slide your hand to the side of your body and start hitting him in the balls. Grab the groin, step behind him and lift, causing him to fall backwards and land on his back. We call this an usurper throw. It's nice. Wesley Snipes does this move at one point in Blade 2.
    Instead of the throw, you can also grab his leg and pull it through, causing him to fall on his ass. You can also pop him an elbow once your groin strikes have given you some space.
    My school actually teaches a hip throw off of this one, but thats a little more tricky.
    "Pranksters and LARPists write or call in threats. Guys like me claim responsibility.

-SFGoon.

"I can teach libs to love guns faster then I can teach cons to think, it seems."

-JohnnyCache

virtual_mantis

Yes | No

Try this one. Bend down like you're about to sit in a chair and thrust your arms forward. Both movements should be done simultaneously. You should be thrusting your hips back a little too.

Ofcourse, only works if you haven't been picked up yet. If you are being picked up do the heel kick thing like crazy until he puts you back down and then do the hip thrust.

give it a try, works petty good.