Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: An Iraqi with something to say.

Vargas

Yes | No

Default An Iraqi with something to say.

Ran across an Iraqi web log with some interesting things to say about Howard Dean and "Get-the-US-out-of-Iraq" critics. I'm sure not all Iraqi's feel this way, but it was nice to hear someone from that area stick up for the grunts deployed over there.

Ambition that blinds.

"You can say that it's great that Saddam is gone and I'm sure that a lot of Iraqis feel it is great that Saddam is gone. But a lot of them gave their lives. And their living standard is a whole lot worse now than it was before."

What did Mr. Dean meant by this statement? I didnít want to write about it from the beginning despite what I felt and the questions asked by some of the readers. I said, ďthis is an American affair and I might offend some of my American friends through expressing my opinionĒ. But the statement was too irritating and insulting and as I said before thereís no such thing as an internal affair anywhere in the world, not to mention the USA, the country in which the tiniest change in policy might well have a great impact elsewhere in the world. Anything that happens in America concerns everyone on this planet, and moreover as an Iraqi who his whole countryís future relies considerably on how the things go on in America I have additional reasons to care about such things.

To summarize my response I was not surprised, but it added to my confusion about the justification of the position of some Americans regarding this issue.
    To have such approach from some Arabs and Muslims, itís more than expected, still nauseating though. To have such an approach from some European countries is also (natural). But to come from Americans? Well, this is just more than I can understand.
    Iíd like to (debate with) Mr. Dean and his supporters on few points.

Iím not going to comment about the rightness of the statement with more than saying that only a (blind) man would believe it and only a man blinded by his ambitions would dare to say it, but when you say such words, donít you mean in other words that the sacrifices made by the American soldiers are all in vain? And that these soldiers are not doing a service to the world, nor to Iraqis and not to America. In fact you are saying that since they didnít do the world, America or us a favour then theyíre only doing a favour to GWB and his administration.

Donít you agree that by saying those words you accuse the American soldiers of one of two charges each of which is worse than the other;
    You are saying that, either they are stupid enough to sacrifice their lives for the sake of GWB political future, or they are evil people who love fighting and killing and they are doing this only for money, in other words theyíre no more than mercenaries. Saying that you only disagree with the way this issue is handled will also not change the fact that you are only harming your men and women on the battlefield.

By statements like these you deny any honourable motives for the great job your people are doing here. How in your opinion will this affect the morality of your soldiers? Feeling that their people back at home donít support them and that theyíre abandoned to fight alone in the battlefield.

And all of this for what? For staying in the white house for 4 or 8 years? Is it worth it?
    And this is not directed only to Mr. Dean, itís for all the Americans who support such allegations without being aware of their consequences. Whatís it that you fight so hard for, showing your soldiers as s occupiers and murderers, the soldiers who I had the honour of meeting many, and when talking to some of them, I didnít see anything other than gentleness, honesty and good will and faith in what theyíre doing.

Your words and those of others were insults to the Americans, Iraqis and moreover to yourself, and Iím certain you donít represent the number of Americans you fanaticise about. Iím sorry for being so rude, but I really tried hard to restrain myself from being more direct, and thus nearly as rude as you were. If I wanted to respond just as an Iraqi who is so offended by your words, my feelings wouldnít have been expressed without using a language nastier than what Iíve committed myself to on writing on this blog.

Please consider this for a moment, does winning the elections and getting rid of GWB and the republicans worth the damage youíre inflicting on your men and womenís morality?

My heart goes with those brave people and the widows, orphans and mothers of the American soldiers who died while doing this great service for their country, ours and humanity.
    I canít imagine what their response would be to such thoughtless words motivated with nothing more than selfish ambitions.

-By Ali.

Here is the web log address:

[url]http://iraqthemodel.blogspot.com

My favorite quote "You are saying that, either they are stupid enough to sacrifice their lives for the sake of GWB political future, or they are evil people who love fighting and killing and they are doing this only for money, in other words theyíre no more than mercenaries"

Think about that next time you hear someone claim they hate the Bush Administration and despise our occupation, but support our troops. Can't be done, unless you willingly support drooling idiots and/or bloody-handed mercenaries.

Yes | No

Excellent.

*Ducks and covers from the anti-war crowd here*
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. "
    - Robert A. Heinlein

The Wastrel

Yes | No

You know, there is an entire wing of the critical crowd that is NOT anti-war, but which just wants to see things done a little differently. Just a friendly reminder.

Vargas

Yes | No

So what does that make me, pro-war? Just kidding :)

Seriously, though, I sometimes wonder, what's the use in being a super-duper, high-speed, military helicopter guy if I can't use my training and experience in the pursuit of a worthy goal? Yes, I've probably watched 'Tears of the Sun' one too many times, but the question still stands: What are you going to do with the short time you have here on this planet? Yes, 500+ G.I.s have died in Iraq. I feel horrible for the families that are left behind with their grief. However, people die every day, young and old, and in the end, no one lasts longer than about 100 years. So again, the question stands: What you going to do with the short time you have? Sit on the sidelines like a spectator or grab a glove and get in the game?

One caveat. This doesn't mean you have to be in the military to have a meaningful life (far from it). I have a lot respect for people in the Peace Corps, Americorp, Medics Sans Frontiers, Int'l Red Cross and UNICEF, because they are trying to do make a difference too. To a smaller extent, same thing applies to firemen, cops, teachers, civic leaders and, yes, martial arts instructors (the good ones, anyway).

But in the meantime, feel free to jump in with your ranting and raving. Because, by exposing me to adversity (usually in the form of homosexual innuendos and profanity-enhanced insults), you only make me stronger. So bring it on!!!! :)

Vargas

Yes | No

And yes, The Wastrel is Correctô, as usual. Dammit :)

The Wastrel

Yes | No

HARDYHARHAR!!!

MaverickZ

Yes | No

Originally posted by The Wastrel
    You know, there is an entire wing of the critical crowd that is NOT anti-war, but which just wants to see things done a little differently. Just a friendly reminder.
    Impossible! Issues like this are always black and white. You're either for the war or against it.

Vargas

Yes | No

If you guys don't stop making sense, I'm going to have to go to some other forum.

You know, the one's where "fukc you you fukcin faagot!!!11" is considered a witty reply.

The Wastrel

Yes | No

Isn't that THIS forum?

Yes | No

Originally posted by Vargas
    Seriously, though, I sometimes wonder, what's the use in being a super-duper, high-speed, military helicopter guy if I can't use my training and experience in the pursuit of a worthy goal?

What are you going to do with the short time you have here on this planet? So again, the question stands: What you going to do with the short time you have? Sit on the sidelines like a spectator or grab a glove and get in the game?

Well if I had my way I'd send you and the U.S. military might after Karimov, the jerk dictator of Uzbekistan. Taking down this torturing asshole would be a high priority to me.

"Independent human rights groups estimate that there are more than 600 politically motivated arrests a year in Uzbekistan, and 6,500 political prisoners, some tortured to death. According to a forensic report commissioned by the British embassy, in August two prisoners were even boiled to death."

But he runs a country that has, surprise surprise OIL! So he's the U.S.'s good buddy. (And the pipeline, the one that was dismissed as a reason for the Afghan War IS going through, by the way)

"US dignitaries who have visited Uzbekistan: Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, Secretary of State Colin Powell, Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill, then-First Lady Hillary Clinton, then-Secretary of State Madeline Albright, General Tommy R. Franks, General Richard B. Myers, General Anthony Zinni, and numerous Senators and Representatives from both parties, including McCain, Lieberman, Daschle, Gramm, and Shelby.

Uzbekistan President Islam Karimov visited the US in March 2002, where he was warmly greeted by President Bush and Rumsfeld.