Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Into the sea......

Yes | No

Default Into the sea......

A statue of a slave trader which was torn down during an anti-racism protest in Bristol was "an affront", the city's mayor has said.

Marvin Rees said he felt no "sense of loss" after the bronze statue of Edward Colston was pulled down using ropes and thrown into the harbour on Sunday.

The statue of the prominent 17th Century slave trader has been a source of controversy in the city for years.

Avon and Somerset Police said a decision was taken not to intervene.
    Full BBC article with video.

Edward Colston (2 November 1636 – 11 October 1721) was an English merchant, slave trader, Tory Member of Parliament, and philanthropist..... By 1680 he had become heavily involved in the slave trade, and in 1680 he became a member of the Royal African Company, which held a monopoly of the British trade in African slaves. He became Deputy Governor, the highest office of the company, in 1689
    Should this kind of thing be tolerated?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post
    Trump can't actually win an election.. can he ?
    Quote Originally Posted by MerkinMuffly View Post
    Short answer is no.
    I think you're right here.

Yes | No

Sure. We tossed in some tea a few hundred years back and things turned out great for us.

Hermetic Syntactical Disruptorize's Avatar

Yes | No

What's the point, where are they going with this? If this is all they have in mind, I think it is weak shit.
    You know where you'll find sympathy: In the dictionary, between "syphilis" and "suicide".

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

A tiny minority of (mostly white, middle class) far left activists want to latch on to protests about mistreatment of black people to advance their aim of overthrowing the social norms and traditions of western civilization, because that's the only way they can resolve the subconscious conflict with their parents.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

A tiny minority of (mostly white, middle class) far left activists want to latch on to protests about mistreatment of black people to advance their aim of overthrowing the social norms and traditions of western civilization, because that's the only way they can resolve the subconscious conflict with their parents.
    The Afro-Caribean community in Bristol have been very vocal about Colston's statue for at least 40 years making repeated petitions to the city council for its removal.
    Short answer is no.

Yes | No

I think you just got confused and interpreted what I said to mean 'all protests about BLM are driven by white antifa activists'. That is not what I said nor meant.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

I got what you meant but I'm more interested in the statue thing.
    Short answer is no.

Yes | No

I'm fine with local people getting to vote on statues being taken down. I trust the public to have some common sense. Somebody who is primarily famous for getting rich from dealing in slaves should come down. Equally, I doubt very much if a democratic vote anywhere in the UK (except perhaps in a small university town) would result in a statue of Winston Churchill getting taken down.

I am very against these decisions being made by small groups of the loudest, most mentally unstable protesters that the hard left can muster, however.
    Last edited by Cullion; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:22 AM.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

My ballsack is half full Üser Friendly's Avatar

Yes | No

I am very against these decisions being made by small groups of the loudest, most mentally unstable protesters that the hard left can muster, however.
    Like when Jesus attacked the hard working traders that were earning an honest living outside the temple in Jerusalem?

I bet Jesus was Antifa
    die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

Hermetic Syntactical Disruptorize's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Üser Friendly View Post
    Like when Jesus attacked the hard working traders that were earning an honest living outside the temple in Jerusalem?

I bet Jesus was Antifa
    Yeah, those are exactly comparable.

Given your demonstrated contempt for the religious, you pretty much fit this meme:

You know where you'll find sympathy: In the dictionary, between "syphilis" and "suicide".