Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone for Eugenics?

Yes | No

Default Anyone for Eugenics?

Over the weekend, several headlines in the U.K. and a trending Twitter topic included a reference to a school of thought that many thought had been relegated to the past: eugenics, or the controversial notion that human populations could be somehow “improved” via selective breeding. But the troubling ideas found their way back into the news after comments made by a newly-appointed aide to British Prime Minister Boris Johnson resurfaced. In a 2016 interview, researcher Andrew Sabisky said “Eugenics are about selecting ‘for’ good things. Intelligence is largely inherited and it correlates with better outcomes: physical health, income, lower mental illness.” On Monday evening, Sabisky resigned.

Other unearthed comments allegedly written by Sabisky referred to a “permanent underclass” being created by “unplanned pregnancies,” suggestions that lawmakers should pay attention to “very real racial differences in intelligence,” and a comparison between women’s sport and the Paralympics.
    Minister Boris Johnson’s Adviser Resigns Over Race and Eugenics Controversy

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Cummings
    Most of those who now dominate discussions of issues such as ‘social mobility’ entirely ignore genetics and therefore their arguments are at best misleading and often worthless.
    Anyone up for a Brave New World?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post
    Trump can't actually win an election.. can he ?
    Quote Originally Posted by MerkinMuffly View Post
    Short answer is no.
    I think you're right here.

Yes | No

I don't care about race / etc. but I would love for folks to have to prove they have the capability to support a child and they are mentally fit to do so before they are allowed to have one.

Yes | No

Do you fear that that would lead to State over reach?
    Short answer is no.

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Paul Sartre View Post
    I don't care about race / etc. but I would love for folks to have to prove they have the capability to support a child and they are mentally fit to do so before they are allowed to have one.
    You want the government to save you from your younger self? Let it go Nob, it's too late.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

To discuss seriously; living organisms can't really be ranked 'better' or 'worse' on some kind of straight line. they can only be said to be well-adapted to a specific set of circumstances or not, and circumstances change constantly.

So to 'improve' things via eugenics becomes very much about forcing organisms to adapt to the environment favoured by some human value system. What is that value system, exactly?

Would it be a world populated with placid but conscientious betas ? high enough IQs to be trained in fields like medicine or software engineering but not smart enough to suffer from the spike in mental illness at the top of the scale where the creative geniuses tend to be ?

No boxers, no eccentric artists, no impulsive beauties who like a drink.

The horror. Like a giant doctor's waiting room. All beige, forever.

Also, those people would be fucking useless at rebuilding society after a technological collapse from a solar flare or asteroid. Like a flock of terrified sheep.
    Last edited by Cullion; 19th February 20 at 03:06 PM.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

Maybe C-19 will wipe out the surplus people?
    Short answer is no.

Yes | No

It's going to sweep through the elderly, freeing up family-sized homes that have 2 people rattling around in them.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Socially Liberal Fiscally Conservative Vermin View Post
    Maybe C-19 will wipe out the surplus people?
    Old ones, anyways.

Yes | No

unfunded pension liabilities, suddenly not so much of a problem
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Yes | No

Where is doofa now??!!

It is terrible that it is taking out the boomers...
    "She's shown she's into Butterface not Butterbody, too." - Snake