Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EXPLAIN URSELF CULLIONZ!!!

Yes | No

Oh THAT graph! Well you're wrong..... very wrong...

The point of the figure is that the expected value of gambling is very much not indicative of what happens typically for longer trajectories.

We can already see this pattern if we consider gambling twice. With probability one half, we gain 50% in value, the other outcome is losing 40%.

Starting with wealth 1 if we win twice, we have 2.25. But the other possible outcomes are 0.9 if we win once and 0.36 if we lose twice. The expected value is 1.1025, larger than 1.

In general we have..

EGamble[Wt+1|Wt=w] = w + 0.5⋅0.5⋅w − 0.5⋅0.4⋅w = 1.05w

Iterating that forward gives..

EGamble[Wh|W0 = 1] = 1.05^h

or

log_10(E[.]) = hlog_10(1.05)

That's the blue line in the plot.
    Last edited by Dr. Socially Liberal Fiscally Conservative Vermin; 2 Days Ago at 05:30 AM. Reason: BREXIT!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post
    Trump can't actually win an election.. can he ?
    Quote Originally Posted by MerkinMuffly View Post
    Short answer is no.
    I think you're right here.

Yes | No

You're welcome.
    Short answer is no.

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

nope, you're wrong. the expected value is not half the value of 2 wins. It's the expected value of the most likely outcome, which is one win and one loss.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Short answer is no.

Yes | No

I do understand basic statistics, that's why my expected result agrees with the montecarlo simulation, and yours doesn't.
    Last edited by Cullion; 2 Days Ago at 04:58 PM.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

you're not able to spot misapplication of textbook methods even when they produce glaringly incorrect results, are you ?
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Yes | No

I do understand basic statistics
    If that was true you wouldn't have made such a cock up interperating that graph & recognized it as a version of the Gambler's Ruin paradox.
    Short answer is no.

Yes | No

I haven't misinterpreted the graph. They've simply assessed the expected value incorrectly. I predicted the behaviour correctly with simple high school algebra.

Only an idiot would bet on a situation where the most likely outcome resulted in a 10% loss every 2 rounds.

I can walk you through it if you're struggling.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Yes | No

Go for it...
    Short answer is no.

Yes | No

Which part are you stuck on ?
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME