Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TAX!

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

Have a look at this table of countries by 'public spending as % of GDP'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Govern...centage_of_GDP

The UK is at 49% Canada at 42% The US at 41.6%

Way down below 35% is a mixed bag, but we have: -

Singapore, Switzerland, South Korea, Malaysia, Thailand, Bahamas, Sri Lanka, Hong Kong, Liechtenstein

I think these are all livable places. Singapore and Hong Kong have *very* low taxes, and still manage to have functioning social safety nets.

I don't think your assertion that cost-cutting is always a disaster is true. There are lots of countries living quite prosperous, civilized lives with much more frugal public sectors than Canada or the UK.
    Last edited by Cullion; 5 Days Ago at 02:43 PM.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Socially Liberal Fiscally Conservative Vermin View Post
    Isnt there an argument that they wouldn't have all that wealth if it wasnt for public services? The less they pay into them the worse off ultimately it will be for them?
    They got the same public services as people who paid nothing, or who paid a few thousand a year. There's not really a clear moral case that somebody owes everybody else millions a year just because they happen to have it.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

Doesnt it depend on where it came from?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post
    Trump can't actually win an election.. can he ?
    Quote Originally Posted by MerkinMuffly View Post
    Short answer is no.
    I think you're right here.

Yes | No

Income tax - I accept. But capital gains tax really irks me.
    "She's shown she's into Butterface not Butterbody, too." - Snake

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Socially Liberal Fiscally Conservative Vermin View Post
    Doesnt it depend on where it came from?
    The tax system of the UK doesnt make much distinction. Why should it?
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Yes | No

I believe you stated that there was no moral case. My comment/question was aimed at that & not about the workings of the Inland Revenue.
    Trump can't actually win an election.. can he ?
    Quote Originally Posted by MerkinMuffly View Post
    Short answer is no.
    I think you're right here.

Yes | No

I don't think the means is part of a case for progressive taxation? There might be a moral case for just banning certain kinds of business activity, e.g. private equity companies that takeover real companies and then make them take out massive loans which they convert into profit, leaving the real company a struggling shell.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME