Page 129 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130131 LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,290 of 1309

Thread: Trump srs?!?!?

Yes | No

I do that on reddit. I always subscribe to subs on both sides of the issue.

Makes me more centrist and able to see both sides of everything.

Yes | No

The hair-trigger blocking thing is a nice +ve bias feedback loop I've noticed
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post
    Trump can't actually win an election.. can he ?
    Quote Originally Posted by MerkinMuffly View Post
    Short answer is no.
    I think you're right here.

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

Most of my real-world friends are left of centre. Generally speaking left wing people are more educated than right-wing people. The niche of intelligent and conservative people is found in magazines like The Spectator, The Manhattan Institute's 'City Journal' and the Salisbury Review.

Being exposed to both I find these are the two sets of stereotypes they have about each other

Left view of Right: 'Evil'
    Selfish, unwilling to financially support those in need
    Small-minded
    knee-jerk distrust of other cultures
    Bigoted

Right view of left: 'stupid'
    Deluded
    Naive
    knee jerk distrust of their own culture
    Trying to project an aura of altruism by promising other people's money to their favourite causes.

It wasn't true a generation ago, but today I generally find the left less tolerate of opposing views and more likely to propose censorship of their opponents in various forms.
    Last edited by Cullion; 19th January 20 at 12:40 PM.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

It wasn't true a generation ago, but today I generally find the left less tolerate of opposing views and more likely to propose censorship of their opponents in various forms.
    I think that has been a theme on left for quite a long time. I grew up in an area that was effected by the miner's strike in the 80's & there was a lot of really intolerant rhetoric being bandied about then. Left wing activism is often very fractional with people holding some very rigid dogmatic attitudes the further left you go. I dont have any exposure to right wing activism so cant comment as anything but an outsider on that.

If you get the time I thought this was a good article by John Grey, thoughts?

Why the left keeps losing.
    Last edited by Dr. Socially Liberal Fiscally Conservative Vermin; 23rd January 20 at 04:24 AM. Reason: STALIN TOLD ME TO!!
    Short answer is no.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Socially Liberal Fiscally Conservative Vermin View Post
    I think that has been a theme on left for quite a long time. I grew up in an area that was effected by the miner's strike in the 80's & there was a lot of really intolerant rhetoric being bandied about then. Left wing activism is often very fractional with people holding some very rigid dogmatic attitudes the further left you go. I dont have any exposure to right wing activism so cant comment as anything but an outsider on that.

If you get the time I thought this was a good article by John Grey, thoughts?

Why the left keeps losing.
    It makes sense to me. I also very much liked Prof. Glasman's 'Blue Labour' writings. Left wing politics based on sneering at the working class is a losing proposition.

The thing that's glaring to me about most of the current Labour leadership contenders is how many of them are from firmly middle class backgrounds (Keir Starmer's description of his dad as a 'tool maker' is dishonest, his dad owned his own engineering company and had employees) but desperately pretend to be working class.

Labour can definitely win the next election if it picks a nice, comforting mainstream leader with no ties to fringe groups and drops the obsession with 'woke' causes. None of that stuff resonates with retired former miners in yorkshire. Refocus on the cost of caring for aging relatives, practical answers to cost of living going up faster than wages for the bottom of the labour market.

Stuff actual ordinary working class people care about.
    Last edited by Cullion; 23rd January 20 at 03:49 PM.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

Right wing activism, in the UK at least, is an odd thing. Firstly, educated conservatives of the kind you might find reading or commenting on something in 'The Salisbury Review' aren't really activists as such. They tend to sigh a lot and draw parallels with the last days of Rome, but generally speak as if the battle is already lost, or as if the best thing to do is wait for the left to destroy itself and hope it doesn't take down too much of civilization with it. Reading something by Roger Scruton will give you a feel, but don't be surprised if you don't go through a lot of articles which are about art history, wine, theatre etc.. before you come across actual politics. Roger Scruton described a conservative as 'somebody who has found something beautiful enough to protect'.

Populist right wing activism, of the kind Nigel Farage engages in, isn't really familiar to me. I don't go to those kinds of meetings. I did once vote for Count Tolstoy when he stood for UKIP, but only after I convinced myself he was a 'Salisbury Review' type of conservative with no fascist links. I did once start getting a newspaper called 'the UK Column' or something like it semi-regularly posted through my letterbox by an unseen hand after chatting with an elderly neighbour about the EU and making my views clear.

I did not find any racism or Islamophobia inside but there was intense concern about the preservation of British cultural traditions and legal rights most people today probably aren't aware of and how these things were under threat by the EU, along with conspiracy theories about how the EU was some kind of survival of Nazi intelligence apparatus that was never dismantled. Real passion for things most people would find archaic or unimportant mixed in with fringe conspiracy theory, but nothing hateful to any minority groups.

The Tory party, the young conservatives etc.. aren't exactly right wing activism. It's more like champagne and sex parties for ambitious, materialistic people who don't care much about political correctness and don't feel guilty about having more money than everybody else (or wanting to). They found a social group where they can meet other people like themselves. It's not really very ideological and tbh they probably have more fun than most of the left-wing campus groups.

Tommy Robinson, EDL and the UKIP of today are what the BNP has morphed into now that the vast majority of working class people have basically accepted anglicised black and asian people but are still hateful of and frightened of muslims who maintain a cultural distinction. Farage always works very hard to convince people that he is not the same as this group but the doubts are well founded.
    Last edited by Cullion; 24th January 20 at 01:01 AM.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Yes | No

Well it looks like the GOP are going to bury their heads in the sand & just shout 'NO U!'
    Short answer is no.

Yes | No

It will probably work.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Yes | No

Looks like it is even with the recordings that Lev Parnas is releasing.
    Short answer is no.

Yes | No

Well the next time an American brings up show trials.......
    Short answer is no.