Page 97 of 125 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit? Yay or Nay?

My ballsack is half full Üser Friendly's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post
    The only thing that would prevent an open border would be the EU ordering the Republic to close it, and the Republic complying with those orders.

The UK government clearly stated it would erect no border in the event of no deal. The 'right wing nutters' compaigning for the Tory party to follow its own manigesto don't want to close the border either. An Irish politican was on 'Question Time' a couple of weeks ago and said that the Irish govt. wouldn't either. When the editor of the Telegraph asked her in front of the audience 'so who would close the border, if we won't and you won't?', she was unable to answer.
    A verbal agreement isn't worth the paper it's written on. That is why the border situation needs to be codified.

What's to stop Boris, or some other monster raving brexiteer who takes over as Tory leader/Prime Minister closing the border for political expediancy?

The Brexit faction has cold feet and has grasped the back stop as an excuse to halt a brexit they don't realy want and never realy thought would come to pass

Or else the deal would have passed first time around
    Last edited by Üser Friendly; 17th April 19 at 02:32 AM.
    die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post
    Nancy Pelosi doesn't understand the Good Friday agreement.
    She knows more about it than the loony right, monster raving loony leave campaign/brexit brigade did or still do

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Üser Friendly View Post
    A verbal agreement isn't worth the paper it's written on.
    It's not a verbal agreement, it's official UK govt. published policy.

What's to stop Boris, or some other monster raving brexiteer who takes over as Tory leader/Prime Minister closing the border for political expediancy?
    None of them want to do that or have a reason to do so. You are ignoring the elephant in the room; the only party that has repeatedly threatened to re-divide Ireland is the European Commission.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

That's bullshit Cullion

Please provide proof of that oulandush claim

Fact is the Unionists who now hold the balance of power would rather close the border than have a united Ireland

Tory pary policy can change at any time. Only an international treaty can ensure Boris doesn't change the policy because big Arlene has threatened to steal his tuck shop money

The monster raving loony right has realised they are going to lose a lot of money if brexit goes through and are sabotaging it

Face facts

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Üser Friendly View Post
    That's bullshit Cullion

Please provide proof of that oulandush claim
    The UK govt. definitely has no intention of closing the Irish border in the event of no deal https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-47544149

Fact is the Unionists who now hold the balance of power would rather close the border than have a united Ireland
    The Unionists want the border to say open just as much as Republicans do. David Trimble (remember him? co-author of the Good Friday agreement. Bit of a unionist, yeah?) is now engaged in a legal battle to show that May's 'backstop' idea would breach the Good Friday agreement.

Tory pary policy can change at any time. Only an international treaty can ensure Boris doesn't change the policy because big Arlene has threatened to steal his tuck shop money

The monster raving loony right has realised they are going to lose a lot of money if brexit goes through and are sabotaging it

Face facts
    You aren't dealing in facts. The UK govt, categorically won't close the border under any circumstances.

I am on a train with bad wifi right now, but I will find you a video of the Irish politician being unable to explain who would close the border soon.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

Here she is (she's an Irish MEP) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iP-osK2M5E&t=12s

And here's a shorter clip saying clearly that she does not believe Ireland should have a hard border even in the event of the UK leaving on WTO rules. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcGJTr9HtXo&t=25s

Can you find me an irish leader who believes Ireland should have a hard border?

The UK govt. doesn't think so. Only EU Commission negotiators raise this.
    Last edited by Cullion; 17th April 19 at 05:41 PM.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Last edited by Cullion; 17th April 19 at 05:44 PM.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Yes | No

You cannot possibly say what the UK Gov will do in the future regarding anything. Policies can change and manifesto promises can be broken. The border needs to be codified

As to the Unionists, remember NI voted to remain, yet a loony right leave faction is calling the shots, a faction that is so unreliable and unpredictable that they can't even keep their regional parliment functioning. What makes you so sure they want to keep the border open. They are totaly unreliable and adhearing to an out dated anti Republican dogma, they are corrupt and could just decide to break the Good Friday Agreement because god told them to

But please provide some proof to support your claim that the EU wants to establish a hard border between North and South
    Last edited by Üser Friendly; 18th April 19 at 02:54 AM.

Yes | No

But they have a very public, written policy of not closing the border, even in the event of no deal, as of today, agreed?

The only people you will find raising the issue of a hard border, in any news media, are EU negotiators and Leo Varadkar.

I think you are refusing to accept the reality here: the EU is playing games with Ireland, using it as a negotiating tool.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Yes | No

So your claim that the only ones who want to establish a hard border in Ireland is the European Commision is just an empty, peoject fear distraction technique

Gotcha

As to 'gvt policy' that could change tommorow, and will certainlt change when another party takes over, on a whole range of issues.

There needs to be a legally binding treaty to keep Boris, or Jeremy or whoever honest, not some 'honest, we wont close the border, you can trust us'

Like i said if every one wants to keep the border open why not just vote for the deal? Remember the backstop idea was from the Brits, not the EU