Page 9 of 125 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit? Yay or Nay?

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post
    The USA
    YEAH!!!! USA!!!!
    "NoB's acquisitiveness is Zanshin like" - Dougie

"USA is 50 separate countries" - doof (tadpole farmer extraordinaire)

"I actually believe, nay, know that NoB's ass and innards are spotless." - Lilith

My ballsack is half full Üser Friendly's Avatar

Yes | No

Only if you decided not to trade with us just because we left the EU. You don't have to do that. Unless the EU makes you. Is that what you'd want?
    If the UK became belligerent and began a trade war with the EU, as you seem to be suggesting, the hard decisions would have to be made and Ireland would have to consider it's position carefully. It would be a hard choice.

On the upside, as the only English speaking EU state, Ireland could get more extra-EU direct investment, which is nice

They'd lose more export revenue than we would.
    Would you show the numbers for that?

That's an entirely spurious correlation. UK per Capita GDP declined during that period because we were a collapsing imperial power. Eventually that collapse stabilised. Would've happened inside or outside the EU.
    That is pure speculation on your part

Compare the growth of the following economies over that period: EU, UK, Hong Kong, US, Switzerland, Australia
    Go on then
    die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

Yes | No

Speculation about trade wars aside, Ireland could come into conflict with IUK (Independent UK) if they try to compete Corporation Tax wise with Ireland to attract foreign investment

Could the UK try for a Tax Haven style business model?

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Üser Friendly View Post
    If the UK became belligerent and began a trade war with the EU, as you seem to be suggesting, the hard decisions would have to be made and Ireland would have to consider it's position carefully. It would be a hard choice.
    It wouldn't. You're suggesting that the EU would start a trade war with us if we left.

Would you show the numbers for that?
    Already did.

That is pure speculation on your part
    No it isn't. It's based on history and the underperformance of the EU relative to the other economies I cited.

Go on then
    You find the figures and prove me wrong. Otherwise the point stands. I am right by default.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

It wouldn't. You're suggesting that the EU would start a trade war with us if we left.
    I suggested the EU would impose import duties and the UK would follow suit. Not quite a trade war, but nice try

Already did.
    I have already shown that once the loss is federalised IUK comes out way worse than each individual member state so...

No it isn't. It's based on history and the underperformance of the EU relative to the other economies I cited.
    Perhaps you could expand on this history andunderperformance, or I will be right by default. Apparently

You find the figures and prove me wrong. Otherwise the point stands. I am right by default.
    LOL. I'm not doing your leg work. Don't bother making claims if you can't be bothered backing them up

Yes | No

Nine out of 10 of the country’s top economists working across academia, the City, industry, small businesses and the public sector believe the British economy will be harmed by Brexit, according to the biggest survey of its kind ever conducted.

A poll commissioned for the Observer and carried out by Ipsos MORI, which drew responses from more than 600 economists, found 88% saying an exit from the EU and the single market would most likely damage Britain’s growth prospects over the next five years.

A striking 82% of the economists who responded thought there would probably be a negative impact on household incomes over the next five years in the event of a Leave vote, with 61% thinking unemployment would rise.

Those surveyed were members of the profession’s most respected representative bodies, the Royal Economic Society and the Society of Business Economists, and all who replied did so voluntarily.

Paul Johnson, director of the independent Institute for Fiscal Studies, said the findings, from a survey unprecedented in its scale, showed an extraordinary level of unity. “For a profession known to agree about little, it is pretty remarkable to see this degree of consensus about anything,” Johnson said. “It no doubt reflects the level of agreement among many economists about the benefits of free trade and the costs of uncertainty for economic growth.”

Economists overwhelmingly reject Brexit
    Trump can't actually win an election.. can he ?
    Quote Originally Posted by MerkinMuffly View Post
    Short answer is no.
    I think you're right here.

Hermetic Syntactical Disruptorize's Avatar

Yes | No

Yes, good thing you're not a known partisan lying asshole. I'll totally look into that.
    You know where you'll find sympathy: In the dictionary, between "syphilis" and "suicide".

Yes | No

Here is the actual survey results and the question that was asked.

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchp...n-Brexit.aspx#

I wondered if they were diddling with the question to obtain a given result. This one isn't perfect, but it's specific enough to give you a decent dataset.

Quote Originally Posted by Syntactical Dysruptorize
    Stop being nice. Start doing good.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulMechanic
    ...Also, never take a shit and throw it into a deep fryer. I really regret doing that.

Yes | No

Professor of European Law at the University of Liverpool, Professor Dougan provides his viewpoint on the EU referendum, and discussed the facts and figures circulated by both the ‘Leave’ and ‘Remain’ campaigns.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USTypBKEd8Y
    Trump can't actually win an election.. can he ?
    Quote Originally Posted by MerkinMuffly View Post
    Short answer is no.
    I think you're right here.

Hermetic Syntactical Disruptorize's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Fallacious Imputation
    Here's some guy who agrees with me, carefully presented without context, rebuttal, or anything but a sheer appeal to authority. But you can trust me! I'm a scientician!
    You know where you'll find sympathy: In the dictionary, between "syphilis" and "suicide".