Page 78 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit? Yay or Nay?

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

the referendum merely overturns decisions with sweeping constitutional impact which were made without the 2/3rds rule. As we didn't have the rule on the way in, I see no need to have it on the way out. Indeed, to have the rule now would clearly be a substantially undemocratic bias toward one point of view.

The only reason somebody would argue for this is because they don't like the result and are engaging in mealy-mouthed sophistry.
    Last edited by Cullion; 28th January 19 at 05:44 PM.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

or their entire political life is defined by being in the minority at almost all times.

I don't fear loosing, just dictatorship of the majority is something I've had to deal with a lot.

The world is perishing from an orgy of self-sacrificing.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post
    After we leave the EU and a govt. wins a general election with 'have a vote on rejoining the EU' in its manifesto.

What a ridiculous waste of time. We have a much better idea of how things are going to go (not well for a lot of people), the goverment have been rubbish so lets ask the people. That is democracy in action.

the referendum merely overturns decisions with sweeping constitutional impact which were made without the 2/3rds rule. As we didn't have the rule on the way in, I see no need to have it on the way out. Indeed, to have the rule now would clearly be a substantially undemocratic bias toward one point of view.

The only reason somebody would argue for this is because they don't like the result and are engaging in mealy-mouthed sophistry.
    Farage campaigned for a 60% threshold for the 1st ref, the only thing I have ever agreed with him on the mealy-mouthed wanker.
    Trump can't actually win an election.. can he ?
    Quote Originally Posted by MerkinMuffly View Post
    Short answer is no.
    I think you're right here.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Socially Liberal Fiscally Conservative Vermin View Post
    What a ridiculous waste of time. We have a much better idea of how things are going to go (not well for a lot of people)
    Nonsense. This is just project fear.

, the goverment have been rubbish so lets ask the people. That is democracy in action.
    We've already asked the people, and now it's time to do what they asked. You lost. Get over it.

Farage campaigned for a 60% threshold for the 1st ref, the only thing I have ever agreed with him on the mealy-mouthed wanker.
    Farage was wrong about that.
    Last edited by Cullion; 29th January 19 at 04:08 PM.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

at least then it would be settled. as I keep repeating if 48% of people are not being represented by their representatives it's not a representative democracy. and a piece of paper is a piss poor representative.

A simple majority works for reps because then they can reevaluate positions based on the size of their mandate to judge to how properly represent their constituents. Is this an unreasonable expectation?

Yes | No

Nonsense. This is just project fear.
    Nope just the reality of the situation. No deal is gonna fuck over a lot of people, you know this , I know this, we all know this reguardless of your parroting the same hard line over & over.

We've already asked the people, and now it's time to do what they asked. You lost. Get over it.
    We were consulted, then we discussed the ramifications of the consultation now we shuld be asked if we are happy with that. Your desperate Orwellian double speak about democracy just makes you sound like an idiot Gammon from the home counties who sectretly wants to get porked by a German mistress.

Well at least he gets porked by German mistress,
    Short answer is no.

Yes | No

WTO rules will not fuck over a lot of people. You have been fooled by exactly the same kind of panic-laden predictions that have been repeatedly proven wrong over the years, ever since all the worthies were insisting we had to join the Euro.

There is no convincing argument to hold another referendum. If we did, how would the result hold? Based on your 'changing circumstances' argument we'd have to offer people the chance to vote on leaving again every couple of years. Nuts.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Yes | No

my position has always been referendums without a huge mandate have no superior standing compared to a second one and are not representative democracy.

Yes | No

WTO rules will not fuck over a lot of people.
    You're proper gaggng for that Bratwurst aren't you!

You have been fooled by exactly the same kind of panic-laden predictions that have been repeatedly proven wrong over the years, ever since all the worthies were insisting we had to join the Euro
    Nope going on my discussions with various SME owners, farmers, NHS workers & academics I know.

There is no convincing argument to hold another referendum. If we did, how would the result hold? Based on your 'changing circumstances' argument we'd have to offer people the chance to vote on leaving again every couple of years. Nuts.
    Well a party could put it in their manefesto if they so desired. It worked well for the Tories.
    Short answer is no.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Robot Jesus View Post
    my position has always been referendums without a huge mandate have no superior standing compared to a second one and are not representative democracy.
    The vote did have a huge mandate, relative to a general election. The policy decision was much narrower and more clearly defined, the turnout higher and the margin of victory larger.

Direct democracy obviously isn't representative democracy. It's superior.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME