Page 75 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit? Yay or Nay?

Yes | No

how would a second vote be any less legitimate then the first?

The world is perishing from an orgy of self-sacrificing.

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

The fact that the first had not yet been acted on would render the second illegitimate.

It's a bit like asking why you don't get to re-run national elections the day after if you don't like the result. Imagine what the result would be for Canadian democracy if you actually tried to do that. People who'd been happy with the first result would want a third vote etc.. and it would just collapse into chaos where nobody saw any point in voting any more.

The only reason this question seems vaguely reasonable to you is that mainstream journalists and centre left politicians did not like the first result so they're trying to sell this absurd idea. We can't just ignore votes and make people vote again every time the urban upper middle class don't get their way.
    Last edited by Cullion; 22nd January 19 at 10:12 PM.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

Its hardly the "day after"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post
    Trump can't actually win an election.. can he ?
    Quote Originally Posted by MerkinMuffly View Post
    Short answer is no.
    I think you're right here.

Yes | No

The time delay doesn't really matter. What matters is that the first vote hasn't been enacted. A system where the establishment just delays acting on results it doesn't like until it thinks it can ask for another vote isn't a functioning democracy, it's an oligarchy with window dressing.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

you sound just like my old condo board "turnout doesn't matter, Beatrice, Irene and I think a vote of 3/4 is a fine margin to replace the red brick in the grilling area we installed last year, it's too red and should be brown instead; another vote should be delayed until everyone can see how nice the brown brick is."
    Last edited by Robot Jesus; 23rd January 19 at 03:31 PM.

My ballsack is half full Üser Friendly's Avatar

Yes | No

The time delay doesn't really matter. What matters is that the first vote hasn't been enacted. A system where the establishment just delays acting on results it doesn't like until it thinks it can ask for another vote isn't a functioning democracy, it's an oligarchy with window dressing.
    It isn't that the establishment has delayed acting

More like they are inept and/or there is no compromise that will be accepted by the loony right wing of the brexit party

Come on Cullion, if you are so sure the majority of the voting public is still behind brexit why not let the people ratify the final deal?
    die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Robot Jesus View Post
    you sound just like my old condo board "turnout doesn't matter, Beatrice, Irene and I think a vote of 3/4 is a fine margin to replace the red brick in the grilling area we installed last year, it's too red and should be brown instead; another vote should be delayed until everyone can see how nice the brown brick is."
    The turnout for the first vote was higher than most UK general elections, and the winning vote more conclusive.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Üser Friendly View Post
    It isn't that the establishment has delayed acting
    lolz.

More like they are inept and/or there is no compromise that will be accepted by the loony right wing of the brexit party
    Why should they accept a deal that deliberately violates their own party's manifesto promises ? May made a speech where she insisted she planned to leave the Customs Union, Single Market and ECJ jurisdiction then set up a new govt. department which she ignored for 18 months whilst conniving with a civil servant with a publicly-known history of supporting Eurofederalism. The deal was rejected by everybody in parliament except a rump of Tory ministers and hardline remoaners. The vote loss didn't hinge on the ERG and DUP, it was the biggest ever defeat of a sitting govt's bill.

Come on Cullion, if you are so sure the majority of the voting public is still behind brexit why not let the people ratify the final deal?
    That stupid thing the EU got the Irish to do, where you keep voting until the EU gets a result it likes then the voting stops? We're not going to to that here.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Yes | No

The turnout for the first vote was higher than most UK general elections, and the winning vote more conclusive.
    it's a question of mandate. a politician who won with 50%+1 should reevaluate the platform his ran on to accommodate the 50%-1.

so how should the piece of paper rethink it's position with similar numbers?

politics is the business of compromise, and a referendum question cannot do that.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Robot Jesus View Post
    it's a question of mandate. a politician who won with 50%+1 should reevaluate the platform his ran on to accommodate the 50%-1
    That's not how general elections work. No reason why this one has to either.

so how should the piece of paper rethink it's position with similar numbers?

politics is the business of compromise, and a referendum question cannot do that.
    There isn't any need to compromise with the people who didn't want to leave and you wouldn't be making this argument if remain had won by a 52-48% margin.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME