Page 71 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit? Yay or Nay?

My ballsack is half full Üser Friendly's Avatar

Yes | No

How would you rate Thresa's performance so far Cullion?
    die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

She's awful. Appears to be basically working to keep us in the EU by cooking up a deal so bad she hopes it will change he country's mind. But it won't. She may keep the tories out of power for a generation
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

My ballsack is half full Üser Friendly's Avatar

Yes | No

What is your prediction for the UK's exit terms?
    die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

Yes | No

About a week before Christmas, the EU unilaterally decided that they were going to give us an relaxed-terms transition period that doesn't seem to have been reported at all in the UK media. You can read the details, on an official EU website, here: -

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release...yRGXyP66oZ6JwY

I expect we will come out on these terms and then move to a Canada+ type deal. If I'm unlucky we'll come out on those terms (or come within days of it) and then 'project fear' will suceed and we'll get 'Brexit In Name Only' followed by a constitutional crisis where working class engagement with the democratic process essentially comes to an end for a generation.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

Ferry Tales :D :D :D :D :D :D

Also I demand you change my name to, Dr Brexit at Epiphanies
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post
    Trump can't actually win an election.. can he ?
    Quote Originally Posted by MerkinMuffly View Post
    Short answer is no.
    I think you're right here.

Yes | No

She's awful. Appears to be basically working to keep us in the EU by cooking up a deal so bad she hopes it will change he country's mind. But it won't.
    so certain of that? based on my reading the man on the street attitude is that leave is turning out exactly how the stay said it would and the the leave said was just progressive scaremongering.

>working class engagement with the democratic process essentially comes to an end for a generation.

didn't the vote largely fall along generational lines and not class lines?

The world is perishing from an orgy of self-sacrificing.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Robot Jesus View Post
    so certain of that? based on my reading the man on the street attitude is that leave is turning out exactly how the stay said it would and the the leave said was just progressive scaremongering.
    Completely wrong. The predictions made in govt. leaflets in 2016 were that there'd be mass unemployment by now.

>working class engagement with the democratic process essentially comes to an end for a generation.

didn't the vote largely fall along generational lines and not class lines?
    You can see this more clearly by parliamentary constituency. Working class people outside the south east voted to leave in England and Wales, but not Scotland. The higher-unemployment post industrial bits of the midlands and hte North voted to leave. This applies across ethnic groups outside of London.

Once they believe leave was secured, and Corbyn reminded them of his anti-EU credentials, droves of working class UKIP voters voted Labour again at the last election.

The people most fiercely against EU membership tend to be people competing at the bottom of the labour market.
    Last edited by Cullion; 9th January 19 at 06:16 PM.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Yes | No

Completely wrong. The predictions made in govt. leaflets in 2016 were that there'd be mass unemployment by now.
    there was scaremongering on both sides, but is the NHS experiencing the massive windfall the leave side said there would be? are there serious border issues that the leave side said there wouldn't be?

Nope.
    It's easy to get a little caught up in US politics and apply it to other countries, bad habit and I'm sorry. the main determining factors appears to be urbanity and education. I would propose that those factors fall in line with generational norms. used to be you could get an office job just by the cut of your jib, now you need some paper to back it up; that doesn't make an educated man not working class, it just means that education is no longer the class determinate factor it once was.

I'd also question the mandate a 52% victory grants. In Canada we have a law that says 2/3 majority is required for any major action; reasonably sure the UK has a similar statute. which makes sense, if the vote would be different a week before or a week after it should be treated as such.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Robot Jesus View Post
    there was scaremongering on both sides, but is the NHS experiencing the massive windfall the leave side said there would be?
    That isn't exactly the claim made. The claim made that over £350 million a week would be back under UK govt.s control to spend as it wished. This claim was true.

are there serious border issues that the leave side said there wouldn't be?
    No, read above.

It's easy to get a little caught up in US politics and apply it to other countries, bad habit and I'm sorry. the main determining factors appears to be urbanity and education.
    The UK's second city voted Out. Most of England outside of the south eastern London commuter belt voted out.

I would propose that those factors fall in line with generational norms. used to be you could get an office job just by the cut of your jib, now you need some paper to back it up; that doesn't make an educated man not working class, it just means that education is no longer the class determinate factor it once was.
    So you think the UK's second city voted out because it's population is older than London ?

I'd also question the mandate a 52% victory grants. In Canada we have a law that says 2/3 majority is required for any major action; reasonably sure the UK has a similar statute.
    Wrong on both counts. 52% is a larger vote share than most ruling parties get in UK elections. There's no 2/3rds law on our books, and if there was, we'd never have joined the EU in the first place.

which makes sense, if the vote would be different a week before or a week after it should be treated as such.
    That's nonsensical. I don't think you understand how elections normally work at all in most of the Western world.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Yes | No

That's nonsensical. I don't think you understand how elections normally work at all in most of the Western world.
    the difference is the conservatives are arguing that the referendum means leave till the end of time. I'm suggesting a referendum just invites another referendum, especially in such a close race. Really you can have as many as you want until you get the right result. which is one reason I think referendums are dumb.

I don't often agree with Thatcher, but they really seem like a way to avoid parliamentary procedure to hastily shove something into the legal system with as little over site and second thought as possible. A politician may have a mandate to do certain things based on what they ran on, a referendum seems to result in supporters being able to push forward policies while simultaneously washing their hands of any consequences. "don't blame me, it's the irrefutable will of the people we do X lol".

So you think the UK's second city voted out because it's population is older than London ?
    I was mistaken about the age thing. That's the political conversation over here. My question is what common threads do Scotland and London share that Manchester do not?