Page 48 of 125 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit? Yay or Nay?

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Üser Friendly View Post
    Not necessarily with your antiquated first past the post system
    The figure I quoted is what would happen in our fptp system when you look at the leave vs stay votes per constituency.

Yes, you already said that, and as I said, that's fine for purely domestic issues, but brexit affects all UK nationals regardless of their place of residence, and so all should have a right to participate in the process
    If you choose not to pay tax here you lose a say over the country's laws even if they affect you. This will also affect non-UK nationals living in France, Germany etc.. none of them get a say either.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

My ballsack is half full Üser Friendly's Avatar

Yes | No

Yes I edited the first part of my post

So only tax payers should have a vote?

I wonder how disenfranchising all those racist dolites would affect the referendum results?

And the whole 'well maybe the French should also get a vote' is a stupid argument and I expect better from you
    Last edited by Üser Friendly; 10th July 18 at 02:55 PM.
    die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

Yes | No

I don't think it makes sense for people who aren't living with the consequences political decisions have on life in the UK should vote on them. You've chosen life in another country, and good on you, but if we get into you voting on UK issues because they effect you, then why shouldn't I get a vote in Irish elections? Irelands representations in the EU council could effect me, and technically I'm an Irish citizen, I've just never lived there and have an English accent.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

Ex pats are and will continue to live with the consequences of brexit

You seem to be willfully ignoring my point

I don't want to be involved in the day to day politics of the UK but Brexit is a special case

The reason you want to ignore the rights of ex pats is you are scared our vote would put an end to the Brexit debacle

You

Yes | No

Ex pats are and will continue to live with the consequences of brexit
    I paid attention to your point but you're not seeing the bigger picture.

I will live with the consequences of Ireland refusing to leave the customs union. I'm technically an Irish citizen but I don't get to vote on everything Ireland does that effects me, because I don't live in Ireland so I don't get a say in how the country is run. So I'm comfortable that it is fair that you don't get a say in how the UK is run.

You also need to consider that most British expats don't live in the EU, and a lot of them in the US, Canada and Australia have fairly traditional/right wing views about the UK and the Commonwealth vs the EU. You wouldn't necessarily get the result you wanted even if they were all allowed to vote.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Yes | No

If you are so sure why not put it to the test?

Yes | No

When you say you are technically an Irish citizen, what do you mean Cullion?

Yes | No

When you say you are technically an Irish citizen, what do you mean Cullion?
    He drinks like a fish and he's catholic.
    Last edited by Jean-Paul Sartre; 11th July 18 at 10:46 AM.

Yes | No

Everybody who is entitled to an Irish passport because one of their parents is Irish (and born in Ireland) is technically already an Irish citizen under Irish law.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...r_descent.html

Quote Originally Posted by The section that applies to Cullion
    Irish citizen parents born in Ireland

If either of your parents was an Irish citizen who was born in Ireland, then you are automatically an Irish citizen, irrespective of your place of birth. If you are an Irish citizen, you can apply for an Irish passport. You do not need an Irish passport in order to be an Irish citizen but having an Irish passport is evidence that you are an Irish citizen.
    My mum was born in Ireland, has an Irish passport etc..

I don't know how many UK citizens qualify as 'already Irish', but once you count all the people who are entitled to apply for Irish citizenship due to having an Irish-born grandparent etc.. it's something like a third of the UK population.
    Last edited by Cullion; 11th July 18 at 11:05 AM.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Yes | No

The link you cite is broken

However this link works and it seems you are guilty of wishful thinking

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...h_citizenship/