Page 15 of 121 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit? Yay or Nay?

Hermetic Syntactical Disruptorize's Avatar

Yes | No

Sigh. More anti-democratic thuggery. I guess we all have annoying relatives.

I recall Antifa tried to scare me once about pro-union thugs taking revenge on me for mocking the idea of a grad student union. His bitchy bullshit didn't work. (In fact, Antifa, if you're reading this, I'll happily meet you in person to see if you can scare me. I think you're a crummy punk and a coward.)
    You know where you'll find sympathy: In the dictionary, between "syphilis" and "suicide".

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post
    i) They're a tiny minority, but a few crawly little far-right insects have crawled out of the woodwork because they think the referendum result is some kind of vindication for their views. There are anecdotes (mostly the same few incidents repeated) of grafitti and abusive language to immigrants all over social media and a spanish woman I work with had some old man grab her arm and yell abuse at her about Spanish corruption out of the blue, without provocation.
    Yes they have become far more visable in the last week. A freind of mine was attcked in Leeds, she's 2nd gen Caribean & was told to fuck off back home.

]ii) The way many disappointed remain voters are behaving is just embarrassing. They're practically hyperventilating, telling each other scary stories about how we're all a few months away from having to boil shoe leather to survive. The unthinkable disaster scenario they're worried about is one where the EU charges a 5% tariff on our exports and we retaliate by reminding them that we buy more from them than they do from us so they need to calm down or we'll charge the same tariff back. The majority of the same people would swallow 5% corporation or personal tax rises at a general election without batting an eyelid. They're highly reliant on authority figures telling them what's okay and 'normal' and what isn't, the absence of clear authority just for a few days makes them completely lose their shit.
    I agree its pretty ugly, its not something I've indulged in. I have been shocked by some of my friends attitudes towards people they have known well for years just because they didn't vote remain.
    Trump can't actually win an election.. can he ?
    Quote Originally Posted by MerkinMuffly View Post
    Short answer is no.
    I think you're right here.

Yes | No

"NoB's acquisitiveness is Zanshin like" - Dougie

"USA is 50 separate countries" - doof (tadpole farmer extraordinaire)

"I actually believe, nay, know that NoB's ass and innards are spotless." - Lilith

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Righteous Indignation View Post
    The Welsh arent happy about leaving either.
    I was surprised when this turned out to be wrong (In Wales there was a narrow majority to leave the EU. I think it might have something to do with steel works closing that EU rules prevented the govt. from saving with subsidies).
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

Looking back what I wrote before the vote, about liking trade and travel but not liking intrusion into our criminal law and social policy, or restraints on who else we can trade with, I think EEA membership gives the best of both worlds. This is what Norway and Iceland do.

No EU citizens would face barriers to working here, or us in the rest of Europe.

We can sign our own trade and immigration deals with other non-EU countries, as long as we have a system to stop goods from outside the EU being shipped into the EU (e.g. don't abuse this to turn the UK into a giant smuggling post). This alone could make a lot of basic staples, include food, much cheaper as our supermarket suppliers could shop more widely without tariffs.

Being able to set our own immigration policies for non-EU citizens can make it easier for highly skilled non-EU citizens to work here. I think english speakers with no criminal record from the commonwealth or US should automatically qualify.

We're no longer EU citizens, so if we go to the EU to work the host nation is no longer obliged to treat us as they would their own citizens where welfare etc.. is concerned. This works both ways so it's a net neutral 'libertarian' option.

No chance of getting sucked into supporting an EU military.

Regain our own seats in international orgs like the WTO.
    Last edited by Cullion; 30th June 16 at 05:00 PM.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

I was surprised when this turned out to be wrong (In Wales there was a narrow majority to leave the EU. I think it might have something to do with steel works closing that EU rules prevented the govt. from saving with subsidies).
    Yeah that surprised me given they're net beneficiaries as far as EU funding goes
    Short answer is no.

Yes | No

Yeah that surprised me given they're net beneficiaries as far as EU funding goes
    Once in a while, people do things out of principle, or in the anticipation of a long term benefit. I'm disgusted that so many on the left in Europe don't get this. I thought it was the conservatives who were supposed to have calculators for hearts.
    You know where you'll find sympathy: In the dictionary, between "syphilis" and "suicide".

Yes | No

Mehh people have principles on both sides, your argument cuts both ways IMO.

Disgust, now there's a recurrant theme in your posts.
    Short answer is no.

Yes | No

Mehh people have principles on both sides, your argument cuts both ways IMO.
    What a Doofa-like misreading. I'll spell it out for you: You are astonished because you think the Welsh acted against their interest, but you have failed to engage with any of your opposition to find out what their interests are. That is why you and your fellow travelers failed to win the day, and you're still fucking doing it. You learned fucking nothing.

Disgust, now there's a recurrant theme in your posts.
    The word is "recurrent", unless you're recycling currants, I suppose. Yes, I'm disgusted with you, and I've explained why.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Syntactical Disruptorize View Post
    You are astonished because you think the Welsh acted against their interest, but you have failed to engage with any of your opposition to find out what their interests are.That is why you and your fellow travelers failed to win the day, and you're still fucking doing it. You learned fucking nothing.
    No I have spent a lot of time engaging with people on the otherside of the debate which is why I'm not running around on social media like Chicken Lickin at the moment. I appreciate the arguments & currenlty see no need to panic as they may well be right.

What surprised me about the Welsh vote (but not astonished me) was the closer alliance with what is ostensibly an English political movement. The rise of UKIP in the South of Wales (the most populous part) for instance.

The word is "recurrent", unless you're recycling currants, I suppose. Yes, I'm disgusted with you, and I've explained why.
    uhuh
    Last edited by Dr. Socially Liberal Fiscally Conservative Vermin; 1st July 16 at 07:44 AM. Reason: :p
    Short answer is no.