Page 14 of 121 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit? Yay or Nay?

Hermetic Syntactical Disruptorize's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Righteous Indignation View Post
    Yes
    Well, congratulations, I guess.
    You know where you'll find sympathy: In the dictionary, between "syphilis" and "suicide".

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Syntactical Disruptorize View Post
    Hey, Doc, do you think this came about because elitist liberals became unresponsive and oblivious to the desires of the working class?
    I think this is an interesting dynamic in the left side of the political spectrum. It is hard to protect high paying union type jobs and fulfill the 'every culture is valid, you can't judge' rhetoric with loose immigration laws at the same time.
    "NoB's acquisitiveness is Zanshin like" - Dougie

"USA is 50 separate countries" - doof (tadpole farmer extraordinaire)

"I actually believe, nay, know that NoB's ass and innards are spotless." - Lilith

Yes | No

It's very hard to reconcile a welfare state and open borders. This is doubly true if most of your conviction that you're clever stems from holding opinions that you think align you with clever people. The idea that this emperor is naked is too terrifying to occur to the poor dears.
    You know where you'll find sympathy: In the dictionary, between "syphilis" and "suicide".

Yes | No

"NoB's acquisitiveness is Zanshin like" - Dougie

"USA is 50 separate countries" - doof (tadpole farmer extraordinaire)

"I actually believe, nay, know that NoB's ass and innards are spotless." - Lilith

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

Although we've seen the stock market ping up again the last couple of days, I still expect this to get worse and there to be a brief recession. We'll survive.

Once we have some new trade deals signed we'll be able to grow quite fast because I expect real long term benefits from being freed up from EU bureaucracy and being forced to favour trade with other over-regulated low-growth countries.

The rest of Europe needs to worry about being competitive compared to Canada, Australia, the US, the Caribbean and Asia again. We're open for business.

Two things that have disappointed me though:-

i) They're a tiny minority, but a few crawly little far-right insects have crawled out of the woodwork because they think the referendum result is some kind of vindication for their views. There are anecdotes (mostly the same few incidents repeated) of grafitti and abusive language to immigrants all over social media and a spanish woman I work with had some old man grab her arm and yell abuse at her about Spanish corruption out of the blue, without provocation.

ii) The way many disappointed remain voters are behaving is just embarrassing. They're practically hyperventilating, telling each other scary stories about how we're all a few months away from having to boil shoe leather to survive. The unthinkable disaster scenario they're worried about is one where the EU charges a 5% tariff on our exports and we retaliate by reminding them that we buy more from them than they do from us so they need to calm down or we'll charge the same tariff back. The majority of the same people would swallow 5% corporation or personal tax rises at a general election without batting an eyelid. They're highly reliant on authority figures telling them what's okay and 'normal' and what isn't, the absence of clear authority just for a few days makes them completely lose their shit.

I understand now that politicians serve a useful social function; they're a lightening rod for blame and disappointment. When there aren't authority figures to sullenly and ineffectually complain to and about.. we turn on each other. Politics becomes personal in a new and mostly unpleasant way. I understand now why American politics involves so many ordinary people yelling at each other in town hall meetings and in the street.. it's because you're actually freer people who are used to working without as much of an 'authority lightening-rod', or at least you were until very recently. Most Europeans find this frightening and can't really handle it.

It's only taken 3 generations of comfortable living and 'experimental' educational techniques to take a population that stood up to nightly carpet bombing from Hitler to their grandchildren bursting into tears whenever the stock market takes a brief dip. Utterly pathetic. About half the population seems to have completely lost any sense of what real risk or hardship entail.

These are the people the American founders spoke about when they talked about 'people who'd give up freedom for a little security will get neither'. I see it very clearly now.
    Last edited by Cullion; 29th June 16 at 06:57 PM.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

The whole thing is sad. It appears to have been decided by people screaming and jeering at one another. The analogy to America is obvious and has been made enough times, I'm sure.

Yes | No

One of my aunts there (retired nurse in Bristol), told me I'd get punched in the face after I told her to calm down on Facebook (she keeps posting stupid crap, the end is nigh, the rest of the world doesn't understand, on the politicians have broken their promises...waaah waaah).
    "She's shown she's into Butterface not Butterbody, too." - Snake

Yes | No

http://theweek.com/articles/632380/h...rest-illusions

But what if progressivism isn't inevitable at all? What if people will always be inclined by nature to love their own — themselves, their families, their neighbors, members of their churches, their fellow citizens, their country — more than they love the placeless abstraction of "humanity"? In that case, the act of ignoring or even denigrating this love will have the effect of provoking its defensive wrath and ultimately making it stronger.

It makes perfect sense to be surprised, saddened, and concerned by the outcome of the Brexit vote. But shock? Fury? Disgust? Despair? That's what a person feels when he discovers that his most dearly held fundamental beliefs have led him astray.

Wake up, progressives! You have nothing to lose but your illusions.
    Sorry, Doc, you're a fundie.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by It's only money View Post
    One of my aunts there (retired nurse in Bristol), told me I'd get punched in the face after I told her to calm down on Facebook (she keeps posting stupid crap, the end is nigh, the rest of the world doesn't understand, on the politicians have broken their promises...waaah waaah).
    Weird. What side is she on? Who does she think will do the punching?

Yes | No

She's an over 60 'Remain'. Some choice quotes:

"Democracy is all well and good when it works otherwise it sucks like when the Referendum led to the Leave campaign winning."

"Friends of mine have already reported sales declines, these are honest hard working independent people hit by the selfishness of those who voted to Leave."

"So don't tell me to have a cup of tea and calm down and just suck it."

"Your post would warrant a black eye that I would want to avoid."
    "She's shown she's into Butterface not Butterbody, too." - Snake