Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Islam and Christianity: Is it the same God?

not long for this world nihilist's Avatar

Yes | No

All denominations teach partial scripture.

Yes | No

Jesus Prays for All Believers

20 “I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will[e] believe in Me through their word; 21 that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me. 22 And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: 23 I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me.

Srry Jebus, prayer doesn't work.

Instead, you have this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

All three religions say they worship the same God that spoke to Abraham, and Muslims think of Christ as a prophet.

The Islamic concept of God is not the same as the trinitarian Christian concept, but then neither is the Jewish concept of God.

Islam and Judaism are both much more straightforwardly monotheistic.

Islam is much closer to Arian (non-trinitarian) Christianity which saw Jesus as a human messenger rather than God himself.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post
    All three religions say they worship the same God that spoke to Abraham, and Muslims think of Christ as a prophet.

The Islamic concept of God is not the same as the trinitarian Christian concept, but then neither is the Jewish concept of God.

Islam and Judaism are both much more straightforwardly monotheistic.

Islam is much closer to Arian (non-trinitarian) Christianity which saw Jesus as a human messenger rather than God himself.
    Jesus is not the same god the Jews worship. Not even close.
    No one really knows what god they worship. Just a bunch of people buying into memes with no inkling how to determine if it's valid or not.

Yes | No

Oh, and Matthew 15:14

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Molestulo View Post
    Jesus is not the same god the Jews worship. Not even close.
    They obviously don't believe in the trinity, nor do they think Christ was the messiah (Muslims do). The Christian concept of 'The Father' is supposed to be the Yahweh that Abraham worshipped. But he's obviously much softer and more forgiving in the New Testament than the Old.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

God was like Archie Bunker and Jesus was like Meathead, the hippie son-in law.
    Christianity seems like pounding a round peg in a square hole.
    Last edited by nihilist; 18th February 15 at 03:04 AM.

Yes | No

That's because it's a mix of ideas from two very different cultures/ways of thinking; European paganism and semitic monotheism.

From the outside, the whole thing looks like somebody was trying to persuade hellenistic pagans to become 'righteous gentiles', and decided to be relaxed about ideas like 'God visiting earth disguised as a person' and decorated trees as long as they all pledged allegiance to Yahweh.

Much of protestantism consists of northern Europeans reading the original source materials and going 'hang on.. we aren't following the rules here.. lets get rid of all these statues'
    Last edited by Cullion; 18th February 15 at 03:16 AM.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Yes | No

I read somewhere that there is no Lucifer and fall of angels in the original masoretic texts, but was the result of mistranslation.

Is that correct?

your avatar gives me epiliptic fits Adouglasmhor's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by resolve View Post
    Wrong.

There are 3 extant modes of Christianity from which denominations branch: Roman Catholic, Orthodox, and Protestant.

Most of the splits occurred because of three reasons:

1) Organizational: This is the biggest reason. This person didn't like that bishop or pastor so went on to form his/her own congregation but the bigwigs running the denomination didn't agree so they pulled funding so that new congregation just forms their own denomination. Or a congregation couldn't decide on how they wanted to structure themselves (do we have lay elders or deacons? does it matter?) so they split and formed identical denominations (see Church of God/Assemblies of God) just with different structure. This can also be from political meddling (for famous example see Anglicanism vs Roman Catholicism) after the mixture of church and state. This is -THE- number one reason for so many different denominations which is truly a modern phenomenon in the history of the Christian church. Many churches in history who would be considered a different denomination to modern eyes in this way would be dumbfounded because they considered themselves in full communion, if not always full agreement, with their fellow churches in their See.

2) Traditional: This occurs when separate congregations have been apart for a long time and develop different traditions (do we sing? do we read publicly? are we stoic? are we joyful? etc) after the separation. This occurred historically from events like Rome getting beat up by barbarians, Islam splitting the Christian world into 3, Celtic christians being separated from their See for a long time (although eventually they rejoined in communion with Rome), a missionary leads some people to Christ and gave them some Scripture but then does not have contact with them again so they form their own group, et cetera.

3) Theological: This is what most people think of as being the reason there are so many denominations when it is honestly the first two that account for most of the different denominations and historically it has been over some really petty things (is Christ -in- two natures or -of- two natures? is the trinity the best way to explain Father/Son/Holy Spirit dynamic? is this version of a gospel which was written much later but we feel has some great inspiration or is the original version older version canon? do we include those few apocryphal writings which were part of the old Jewish canon that tell the story between the Old Testament and the New or only the canonical books which made it into the Jews' Hebrew bible? if not, are they spurious or deuterocanon?). Of course there were some pretty famous splits like the Protestants from the Catholics (Lutheranism over indulgences and other warped teachings, Baptists over baptizing infants when they have no choice, et cetera) and the Calvinists vs Arminians' famous battle over free will and depravity.

I also did not include the many cults of personality (which is huge in Africa) which usually only preach partial scripture or scripture combined with pagan/spiritist faiths or the cults of new/rewritten scripture (LDS/JW's) which are often included in those lists.
    So have ISIL killed all the Copts then some are not cat or orthodox and what about messianic Jews??
    Last edited by Adouglasmhor; 18th February 15 at 04:09 AM.
    Don’t say, “It’s been a good day” till sundown.
    Don’t say, “She’s a good wife” till she’s buried.
    Don’t say, “It’s a good sword” till you’ve tested it.
    Don’t say, “She’s a good girl” till she’s married off.
    Don’t say, “The ice is safe” till you’ve crossed it.
    Don’t say, “The beer is good” till you’ve drunk the last of it.

From Hávamál, a Norse poem