Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 79

Thread: Isn't It Arrogant To Say That Only Christianity Is True?

  1. #11
    (╯□)╯︵ ǝpıɔoıɔos resolve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    9,005


    Yes | No

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Syntactical Disruptorize View Post
    Actually, not all frames of reference incorporate exclusive truth claims. Some work on altogether different bases. Single-truth worlds appeal to a lot of people, but they don't enjoy an intellectual monopoly.
    I will agree except on the fact that multiple truth claims automatically exclude single truth claims, therefore they become a single truth claim by exclusion.

    Hinduism and Christianity or any other Monotheism, for example.
    "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

  2. #12
    Hermetic Syntactical Disruptorize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,035


    2
    Yes | No

    Default

    False. Excluding a class of claims doesn't mean one selects a single remaining truth.

    You're just saying words at this point; you clearly have no idea of concepts underlying them. So go neg rep me again.
    Last edited by Syntactical Disruptorize; 16th February 15 at 09:40 PM.
    You know where you'll find sympathy: In the dictionary, between "syphilis" and "suicide".

  3. #13
    (╯□)╯︵ ǝpıɔoıɔos resolve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    9,005


    Yes | No

    Default

    I had up-repped you 0_o, for having a civil conversation with me :/

    By saying that an exclusive truth claim is not exclusive you are making an exclusive truth claim no?

    For argument's sake:

    Hindu: "I a hindu will accept your Christ and add him into the pantheon which all fall under expressions of Brahma."

    Christian: "But Jesus said that no man comes to the Father except by Him and that He and the Father are one and the Father said to have no other gods before Him, so no you cannot simply add Christ to your current belief system because then your version of Christ isn't Christ any more. It's fundamentally different."

    Hindu: "But I am saying that I can do this because Brahma has many expressions and some that do not make sense with each other." <- That's the exclusive truth claim. They are -excluding- the claim of Christ of being exclusive.

    Truths cannot contradict one another. That's kind of plain logical sense. Any time you say "You are wrong" that is an exclusive truth claim. Either one is right and the other is wrong or both are wrong.

    The very act of asking a christian "how can you have the exclusive truth?" is implying that Christianity is wrong in its exclusive claim, thus anything that is exclusive is wrong... IE: they are excluding anything that is exclusive, thus the question itself is exclusive in nature.

    That's the irony.


    Here's a good analogy I have read before:
    "James has a blue pen. He tells Jack it is blue. Jack asks him how he can be so sure that the truth of the blueness of the pen is exclusive [to other colors being a possibility]. In doing so Jack is saying that the pen might not be blue. In other words he’s implying that the real truth is that the pen is another colour. Jack has just made a claim to an exclusive truth. "
    Last edited by resolve; 16th February 15 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Edited for readability, sorry!
    "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

  4. #14
    Unintentional Rayp'ist Spade: The Real Snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    36,504


    Yes | No

    Default

    You still can't send PM, this is an exclusive truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feryk
    What Snake Said
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily
    Snake is also correct about EVERYTHING.

  5. #15
    not long for this world nihilist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    36,605


    Yes | No

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by resolve View Post
    Christian: "But in the bible that some dudes wrote, Jesus said that no man comes to the Father except by Him and that He and the Father are one and the Father said to have no other gods before Him, and the bible said the bible is true!"
    Do you have any idea how sad you sound?

  6. #16
    Hermetic Syntactical Disruptorize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,035


    Yes | No

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by resolve View Post
    By saying that an exclusive truth claim is not exclusive you are making an exclusive truth claim no?
    You moved the goalposts. It's not a single truth claim.

    This kind of thing is why I view you as a fundamentally dishonest person.
    You know where you'll find sympathy: In the dictionary, between "syphilis" and "suicide".

  7. #17


    Yes | No

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by resolve View Post
    Actually it'sL

    "Aren't Christians arrogant saying their exclusive truth claim is the only right one?"

    Answer:
    All people are equal but not all ideas are equal. Truth by its very nature is exclusive. Everyone has an exclusive truth claim, therefore you should sort out ideas to find the best ones possible. If christians say their claim is the best one then how is that any more arrogant than anyone else doing the same? Which we all do...
    Repeating the retard in the video almost verbatim is not helping your case. He then goes on to say the reason Christian are right is because Jesus therefore not arrogant at all!

    Please bear with me, but perhaps it is because I read answers like yours so often?
    And yet you still dont understand them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post
    Trump can't actually win an election.. can he ?
    Quote Originally Posted by MerkinMuffly View Post
    Short answer is no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post
    I think you're right here.

  8. #18
    Unintentional Rayp'ist Spade: The Real Snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    36,504


    Yes | No

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by resolve View Post
    Here's a good analogy I have read before:
    "James has a blue pen. He tells Jack it is blue. Jack asks him how he can be so sure that the truth of the blueness of the pen is exclusive [to other colors being a possibility]. In doing so Jack is saying that the pen might not be blue. In other words he’s implying that the real truth is that the pen is another colour. Jack has just made a claim to an exclusive truth. "
    You are applying a fact-based claim to exclusive truth to a belief-based claim to exclusive truth.

    Not wanting to sound too much like fake Dr. Max Faustus the Penniless, but one has the ability to run scientific test in order to prove, with a high percentage possibility, that when data is applied against the color-wheel spectrum, the pen is, in fact, a higher degree of "blue" than any other color.

    One lacks to ability to do this with a belief.

    The two monkeys in your fable can disagree based on their individually held beliefs, but that doesn't make one of them any less wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feryk
    What Snake Said
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily
    Snake is also correct about EVERYTHING.

  9. #19


    Yes | No

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by resolve View Post
    By saying that an exclusive truth claim is not exclusive you are making an exclusive truth claim no?
    No, you're not fully understanding the machinery of the logic you are trying to use.

    If your positive exclusive truth claim can be proven to be negative at least once then the positive claim is NOT valid.

    So that proof would be a truth claim about the validity of your claim to exclusivity.

    Whether that proof is an exclusive claim would depend on whether another proof could also invalidate your original claim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post
    Trump can't actually win an election.. can he ?
    Quote Originally Posted by MerkinMuffly View Post
    Short answer is no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post
    I think you're right here.

  10. #20
    not long for this world nihilist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    36,605


    Yes | No

    Default

    The reason gnostic Christians get flak is entirely based upon the fact that they will not admit fallibility.
    The smug certainty is universally off-putting.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
◮ Top