Thread: RIP Pat Quinn (1943-2014)

Yes | No

Default RIP Pat Quinn (1943-2014)

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...t-71-1.2846984

If ever there was a tough, tell-it-like-it-is,Irish hockey man, Pat Quinn was the guy.
    He never won a Stanley Cup, but did coach teams that won Olympic Gold and WJHC Gold.
    One of my favorite memories of Quinn was his being at the helm of the Flyers team that went 35 games without a loss in 1979-80 - a record that still stands to this day. I was nine years old, and that was the year I became A Philly fan. Unfortunately, Quinn's Flyers were destined to meet the powerhouse Islanders in the Finals that year and fell short of their third championship.
    I also remember the time Quinn and a couple of other Toronto execs were getting harassed by a reporter who tried to follow them on an elevator. Quinn grabbed the pesky journalist by the shirt and shoved him out of the elevator with all the effort of a man swatting aside a fly. It was classic.
    It was before my time, but Quinn is also well-known for being the one to deliver perhaps the hardest bodycheck ever received by the elusive Bobby Orr - knocking him completely senseless. That hit garnered so much attention, a shady Bostonian, assumedly a mobster, even offered to 'take care' of Quinn- if Orr so wished him to.
    Bobby, the gentleman that he was, refused. Thankfully.
    RIP Pat. The hockey world will miss you.

My ballsack is half full Üser Friendly's Avatar

Yes | No

nice obituary
    die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

Yes | No

Sad day when he passed. 72 y/o. You'd think a career athlete would have more longevity if he stayed away from drugs and booze...oh, wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Syntactical Dysruptorize
    Stop being nice. Start doing good.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulMechanic
    ...Also, never take a shit and throw it into a deep fryer. I really regret doing that.

Yes | No

Cigars and brandy were Quinn's thing.

Jean Bealiveau passed away the other day too..now there was a class guy.Often referred to as the most gentlemanly NHL'er of all time.
    Not many hockey players are inducted into the Order of Canada. I think him and Gretzky are the only one's.

Yes | No

Australia mourned the loss of 25 year old cricketer Phillip Hughes a few days ago. Died from an arterial dissection caused by deflecting a cricket ball during a match :(. 25 year old country boy who was talented and well liked (had played for the international team).

If you've seen 70 then be thankful. When a young life of promise is taken a whole nation mourns.
    "She's shown she's into Butterface not Butterbody, too." - Snake

Yes | No

***sigh***

We Americans know. Michael Jackson had so much more touching to do. He left too early.
    "NoB's acquisitiveness is Zanshin like" - Dougie

"USA is 50 separate countries" - doof (tadpole farmer extraordinaire)

"I actually believe, nay, know that NoB's ass and innards are spotless." - Lilith

Yes | No

IOU rep.

Love MJ!! *crotch grab*
    "She's shown she's into Butterface not Butterbody, too." - Snake

Unintentional Rayp'ist Spade: The Real Snake's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Pigtales View Post
    Australia mourned the loss of 25 year old cricketer Phillip Hughes a few days ago. Died from an arterial dissection caused by deflecting a cricket ball during a match :(. 25 year old country boy who was talented and well liked (had played for the international team).
    He had a stroke, like NoB?
    Did they build him a "makeshift memorial" from Pringles cans?
    Quote Originally Posted by Feryk
    What Snake Said
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily
    Snake is also correct about EVERYTHING.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Spade: The Real Snake View Post
    He had a stroke, like NoB?
    Did they build him a "makeshift memorial" from Pringles cans?
    I AM GOING TO BUILD STONEHENGE ON YOUR FACE!
    "NoB's acquisitiveness is Zanshin like" - Dougie

"USA is 50 separate countries" - doof (tadpole farmer extraordinaire)

"I actually believe, nay, know that NoB's ass and innards are spotless." - Lilith

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by OZZ View Post
    Cigars and brandy were Quinn's thing.

Jean Bealiveau passed away the other day too..now there was a class guy.Often referred to as the most gentlemanly NHL'er of all time.
    Not many hockey players are inducted into the Order of Canada. I think him and Gretzky are the only one's.
    Truth. My Jean Beliveau story: One of the guys I work with was an Assistant Coach of his son's Midget AAA team. They were 1-8 and needed to do something. He told the head coach he wanted to get Jean Beliveau to talk to the team. FTR, this is in Edmonton, AB. Jean lives in Montreal.

He cold called Jean, told him what they needed. They setup a speakerphone in the dressing room after practice one day and the coaches asked him questions. He spoke for 90 minutes. My friend still has the recording. He talked about hard work, discipline, sacrifice, etc.- all the components to make a good team. For free. Because he loved hockey and the people who played it well.

Team went 16-1 after that.

Damn good guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Syntactical Dysruptorize
    Stop being nice. Start doing good.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulMechanic
    ...Also, never take a shit and throw it into a deep fryer. I really regret doing that.