Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Winter Olympics 2014

Yes | No

I can see that pissing off a lot of NHL'ers. I wonder what the NHLPA's stance will be?

Quote Originally Posted by Syntactical Dysruptorize
    Stop being nice. Start doing good.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulMechanic
    ...Also, never take a shit and throw it into a deep fryer. I really regret doing that.

Yes | No

The NHLPA's opinion doesn't really matter.
    The NHL and the owners are more interested in getting the World Cup or something similar going again because they stand to make a lot of money, whereas with the Olympics , they don't make anything.
    Additionally, the owners' have to worry about their players' getting injured during the tournament and how this affects their bottom line.
    For instance, John Tavares - he is out for the remainder of the season now and the Islanders coaching staff and management are pissed off. Isles GM Garth Snow was quoted as saying " I wonder if the IOC is going to compensate the season-ticket holders.."
    The team will get insurance money to cover the loss to a certain extent, but the ramifications go far beyond a players' salary.
    Last edited by OZZ; 24th February 14 at 03:22 PM.

Yes | No

Its funny, a lot of the younger hockey fans at work are asking me questions like: " Well if they don't send guys from the NHL , who will they send ?" my response is something like " Well, don't you remember what it was like before they started sending the NHL guys ?"
    " Errr..no."
    I forget that I'm talking to someone who wasn't even born when the Miracle on Ice took place and the Soviet Red Machine was cleaning up on the international stage.
    So basically, the kids who are competing in the WJHC will be the ones' who will comprise the bulk of players for our Olympic squads, along with college kids,AHL regulars (who are still considered 'professional' but not elite) maybe a few retired former professionals etc.
    And the general public's attitude will go back to " Oh well..it doesn't really count because we aren't sending our very best."
    Much like the current attitude towards the World Championships.
    If the hold a World Cup in September, the NHL will make big bucks and it will get the fans geared up for the regular season.
    Last edited by OZZ; 24th February 14 at 03:34 PM.

Yes | No

Interesting. I could definitely see a World Cup thing happen.

Having said that, I can also see a bunch of players who decide to play in the KHL during an Olympic year to avoid the 'No Olympics' clause in their contracts.

These guys LOVE playing for their country. Not just Canadians, but Russians, Americans, Swedes and Finns. If their agent finds a way to give them an 'out', a number will take it.

...Also, never take a shit and throw it into a deep fryer. I really regret doing that.

Never go full Miley. Sinful Jock's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by OZZ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxual NoBlet View Post
    Arj was cool. I think he got a life.

not long for this world nihilist's Avatar

Yes | No

Default Winter Olympics 2014

Portlanders know how to win Olympic competitions.
    It involves a crowbar to the kneecap.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Name Change View Post
    Interesting. I could definitely see a World Cup thing happen.

Having said that, I can also see a bunch of players who decide to play in the KHL during an Olympic year to avoid the 'No Olympics' clause in their contracts.

These guys LOVE playing for their country. Not just Canadians, but Russians, Americans, Swedes and Finns. If their agent finds a way to give them an 'out', a number will take it.
    I hope they find a way..going back to a Canada Cup or World Cup is an acceptable alternative, but its nothing like the Olympics.
    Its been great having the best players from every country represented.
    Hell, not even church can keep Canadians from watching hockey !
    http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/oly...205107598.html
    Last edited by OZZ; 24th February 14 at 09:05 PM.

Yes | No

That's a pastor who knows his flock. You won't fight it, so support it!

Yes | No

Looking like the feel-good story of the Men's Hockey final standings may be all for naught.
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=444890