Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thorium fuelled car!

Yes | No

Default Thorium fuelled car!

Laser Power Systems (LPS) from Connecticut, USA, is developing a new method of automotive propulsion with one of the most dense materials known in nature: thorium. Because thorium is so dense it has the potential to produce tremendous amounts of heat. The company has been experimenting with small bits of thorium, creating a laser that heats water, produces steam and powers a mini turbine.
    Current models of the engine weigh 500 pounds, easily fitting into the engine area of a conventionally-designed vehicle. According to CEO Charles Stevens, just one gram of the substance yields more energy than 7,396 gallons (28,000 L) of gasoline and 8 grams would power the typical car for a century.
    The idea of using thorium is not new. In 2009, Loren Kulesus designed the Cadillac World Thorium Fuel Concept Car. LPS is developing the technology so it can be mass-produced.
    Full InstryTap Article

The key to the system developed by inventor Charles Stevens, CEO and chairman of Connecticut-based Laser Power Systems, is that when silvery metal thorium is heated by an external source, becomes it is so dense its molecules give off considerable heat.
    Small blocks of thorium generate heat surges that are configured as a thorium-based laser, Stevens tells Ward’s. These create steam from water within mini-turbines, generating electricity to drive a car.
    A 250 KW unit weighing about 500 lbs. (227 kg) would be small and light enough to drop under the hood of a car, he says.
    The U.S. Geological Survey’s estimated thorium reserves in 2010 shows the U.S. leading with 440,900 tons (440,000 t), followed by Australia with 333,690 tons (300,000 t).

However, several world organizations conclude India may possess the lion's share of the world's thorium deposits, with estimates ranging from 319,667 to 716,490 tons (290,000-1650,000 t).

Reza Hashemi-Nezhad, director of the Institute of Nuclear Science at the University of Sydney, Australia, says nuclear power plants already run submarines and could operate oil tankers, “but they are not small enough to fit in the boot (trunk) of a car.”
    And amid widespread concerns about terrorism, would governments allow scores of nuclear sources to roam the freeways? Processed thorium can produce uranium 233 as a byproduct. Would governments allow charging an electric vehicle using radioactive material in private garages?
    “Nobody will allow that to happen,” Hashemi-Nezhad says.
    Hedrick thinks such concerns are overblown, stressing thorium’s by-products are very hard to turn into weapons-grade material, requiring an immense amount of work and energy.
    Stevens agrees, emphasizing his system is “sub-critical,” which means no self-sustaining nuclear reaction within the thorium creating significant amounts of radioactivity. “It’s very safe,” he says.
    Link to article from LPS website

LPS home page

^ Images of Cadilacs thorium concept car

Well its been bandied about for awhile but Thorium still hasnt delivered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post
    Trump can't actually win an election.. can he ?
    Quote Originally Posted by MerkinMuffly View Post
    Short answer is no.
    I think you're right here.

Yes | No

Big oil won't let it happen I'm afraid. How sad. So many good ideas in the past were rendered DOA by lobbyists. Greedy bastards.
    “The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”
    ― Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

My ballsack is half full Üser Friendly's Avatar

Yes | No

God help you if your land is rich in Thorium, for you will soon be annexed by USA
    die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

Yes | No

One of the things that makes it interesting to America is the fact that they have sooo much Thorium (pro tip for Winkers: try reading the OP)
    Short answer is no.

Yes | No

Thats kinda the idea.
    Short answer is no.

Yes | No

Fuck you Dr

How long do you think all the Thorium in the world will last the USA?

6-8 years is my guess, and after that, I guess India will become terrorists

Yes | No

With the reserves they have the US could power 55,000,000,000 cars for 100 years.
    Short answer is no.

Yes | No

How many tanks is that equivelant to?

Home Brewer Extraordinair Keith's Avatar

Yes | No

wasn't this outed as a hoax?

Yes | No

Dunno, but if the byproduct is U232, then you would have thousands of potential dirty bombs running around the US, wouldn't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Syntactical Dysruptorize
    Stop being nice. Start doing good.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulMechanic
    ...Also, never take a shit and throw it into a deep fryer. I really regret doing that.