Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Dark Knight Returns

Yes | No

Default The Dark Knight Returns

There is perhaps no other tale in the Batman canon that is more celebrated than Frank Millerís 1986 graphic novel The Dark Knight Returns, and there is probably no other Batman storyline which has been more regulary touted as being ideal material for the big screen.
    Well, DC has finally attempted an animated production of Millerís legendary rendering, probably to test the waters and gauge the level of interest should Time Warner decide to embark on the big production some time in the near future.
    For those of you unfamiliar with the setting in The Dark Knight Returns ( you know, those few of you who have been living in a cave the past two decades, and no, Iím not referring to that cave), letís do a brief overview.
    This is a Ď one of many possible futuresí Batman tales. The story is set some ten years after the last known sighting of the Dark Knight. The world has changed, and not for the better. Crime is at an all-time high, especially in Gotham where a group of super-vicious criminals known as The Mutants are running amok. A different breed of criminal, the Mutant gang commits atrocities in such a random fashion, and often without any genuine motive; thus reminding long-time members of the Gotham Police force of the unpredictable crime sprees the city once endured at the hands of The Joker - who quite coincidentaly, has been in a semi-autistic state in Arkham for the past ten years. Meanwhile, James Gordon is one month away from permanent retirement and receiving public death threats from the leader of the Mutant Gang.
    Commisioner Gordon and Bruce Wayne are good friends now, and ther are no more secrets between them. Two-Face, the Joker and Superman, as well as the latest incarnation of Robin, all play a part in the Dark Knightís return to action. The Wayne familyís loyal butler, Alfred Pennyworth is also still alive and kicking.
    Eventually, the Batman can no longer sit on the sidelines with this Mutant Gang keeping the city in a constant state of fear and decides to suit up once again, and viewers can assume he is now in his mid to late 60Ďs.
    An animated version of this tale to start was probably a good idea, the story lends itself to an animated world much more than a live-action version of the celebrated tale regarding the Batmanís future as Gothamís protector.
    The DVD release is only a half-tale, and the remainder of the storyline which involves the other, aforementioned principle characters from the DC canon is being saved for Part 2. I can only suppose that screen time was the mitigating factor in this decision, and it was probably for the better. This way, the Mutant Gang and inevitable showdown between the aging Dark Knight and its leader remains the main focus of this installment.
    When I discovered there were two parts, I assumed the second one would be a version of the less-heralded sequel to Frank Millerís Dark Knight storyline - The Dark Knight Strikes Again. Thankfully, this is not the case.
    Fansites seem to be full of gripes about how this installment doesnít capture the nihilistic atmosphere set by Milller in his graphic novel - but this is to be expected. Personally, I donít concern myself with such things when it comes to animated offerings. The purpose here is more to introduce younger audiences to this particular version of Batman, and not to capture the essence of the original storyline.
    This telling gets 3 stars. Far from terrific, but not a horrible job done by those involved.
    I rented it, and probably wonít bother purchasing this one.
    Last edited by OZZ; 18th October 12 at 12:15 PM.

Unintentional Rayp'ist Spade: The Real Snake's Avatar

Yes | No

watched trailer, voices suck
    Quote Originally Posted by Feryk
    What Snake Said
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily
    Snake is also correct about EVERYTHING.

Yes | No

Part 2 apparently due out in January or February..

Yes | No

The second installment has been out a while now.
    If the first part left a little something to be desired, the second half of The Dark Knight Returns delivers big time.
    Gritty, just as Miller intended his original graphic novel to be. I'm not sure how they managed to make the second part so much better than the first was. Its the same director, the same voices..perhaps its the content. After all, watching 55 year-old Batman square off against Superman along with what proves to be the final confrontation with his arch-nemesis The Joker - that's pretty hard to beat. It sure beats the hell out of his scrap with a fat mutant-gang leader..
    Another cool thing about this one is the appearance of good ol' Oliver Queen aka Green Arrow in a nice little addition to the storyline.
    If you didn't like the first one, watch the second part anyways - you won't be disappointed.
    But you'll have to purchase the Blu Ray version if you want the bonus feature on the history of The Joker ( I did..)
    5/5 Stars

Yes | No

AFFLECK! AFFLECK!!!!

His suit looks organic. Kind of lame. (fanbois jump on and tell me how it was that way in so and so comic so I should like it)

Last edited by NoBowie; 13th May 14 at 02:05 PM.
    "NoB's acquisitiveness is Zanshin like" - Dougie

"USA is 50 separate countries" - doof (tadpole farmer extraordinaire)

"I actually believe, nay, know that NoB's ass and innards are spotless." - Lilith

Yes | No

the movie is doomed, but it's not his fault.

The world is perishing from an orgy of self-sacrificing.

Yes | No

Maybe they should have let him direct?

Quote Originally Posted by Syntactical Dysruptorize
    Stop being nice. Start doing good.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulMechanic
    ...Also, never take a shit and throw it into a deep fryer. I really regret doing that.

Yes | No

"I actually believe, nay, know that NoB's ass and innards are spotless." - Lilith

Yes | No

The costume looks alright.
    I am maintaining cautious optimism about the upcoming Superman V Batman film.
    If Affleck doesn't have to perform too many scenes as Bruce Wayne, he may do alright.

Yes | No

They should have gone with Bill Murray:

Last edited by NoBowie; 19th May 14 at 01:50 PM.