Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gary 'The Weasel ' Sets Sept. 15th Deadline For NHL Lockout

Yes | No

Default Gary 'The Weasel ' Sets Sept. 15th Deadline For NHL Lockout

Yes | No

Fucking awesome.:( It'll be a strike, just watch and see.

I was hoping the Oilers would finally have something to cheer for this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Syntactical Dysruptorize
    Stop being nice. Start doing good.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulMechanic
    ...Also, never take a shit and throw it into a deep fryer. I really regret doing that.

Yes | No

I'm actually optimistic this time and I think a lockout/strike will be avoided.

Yes | No

The clock is ticking..

So the way I understand all this ' rich vs. richer economics ' BS is this:
    As it stands - the players' salaries are comprised of up to a maximum of 57% of the entire league revenue.
    The owners want this reduced to 43% and are grumbling about revenue sharing to support shitty franchises like Phoenix who have no fans.
    They also claim to be desirous of an end to front-loaded long-term contracts. But if this is the case, it seems strange to me that so many teams have been scrambling to lock players up to these very same contracts in the last few weeks.
    The players , naturally, want an increase, or certainly no decrease, in the percentage of revenue they are entitled to.
    Am I missing something ?
    Isn't capitalism all about hiring people to work for you for a set amount of money ? Why should the NHL's gross revenue have a bearing on the players' already enormous salaries ?
    I own a business, I pay you to work for me - if you attain or exceed certain performance bonuses as per your contract - you get a bonus.
    Isn't that sufficient ?
    Apple employees, in the main, don't get extra money because Apple is kicking ass on the world market. They get what they are entitled to according to their contracts. Executives will get bonuses based on profit, but the average joe working for Apple doesn't.
    Are all NHL players now considered mid-level executives ?
    I am fully aware that the NHL owners cashed in for many years, and it took a court order just to get them to open their books to the players during negotiations about a decade ago when most of the labor strife began. I know the owners are tightwads ..but I think they have ponied up a fair bit of cash over the past few years.
    Is it the players who are being greedy this time ?
    Help me understand this feryk, you know a lot about money.
    Enlighten me.

Unintentional Rayp'ist Spade: The Real Snake's Avatar

Yes | No

http://www.sportmapworld.com/map/ice...h-america/nhl/

By my count there are only 7 CNUX NHL teams, which quite simply means the NHL needs the USA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feryk
    What Snake Said
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily
    Snake is also correct about EVERYTHING.

Yes | No

Both sides are being greedy.

What the players want is more flexibility in the way they get paid, and are looking to keep the avenues to get around the current cap that their agents have already established. They want more control of where they play and want changes to free agency (all of this is based on some radio chatter I've been listening to). The players believe the owners are making serious bank off them, and they are losing control over their own futures.

The owners, OTOH, have watched their costs increase dramatically (leases have increased, operating costs have all increased) and they are not able to raise ticket prices fast enough to compensate (so they say). Obviously, the biggest cost to a team is their salaries. The owners want to shut a number of loopholes that have emerged since the last CBA (10+ year contracts that are back ended).

The fans are getting fucked both ways, and neither side seems to give a shit about the people who pay to watch this shit. The problem the NHL has is that in most of it's markets it is LUCKY to be considered the 4th major sport (behind football, baseball and basketball). The fans in most of the US markets ARE fickle, and will find better things to do. A lockout will hurt Canadian fans the most because here it's the #1 sport.

We will forgive and forget when it's settled, though. A Philly fan might not. He can watch the Eagles, the 76'ers or the Phillies. Lots of other places for his dollar to go.

...Also, never take a shit and throw it into a deep fryer. I really regret doing that.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Max Penetration View Post
    http://www.sportmapworld.com/map/ice...h-america/nhl/

By my count there are only 7 CNUX NHL teams, which quite simply means the NHL needs the USA.
    They always have. 4 of the Original Six were American.

Yes | No

Well, I, for one, am getting fed up.
    I know a lot of lifelong hockey fans that feel the same way and don't like the way things are going , both on the ice and off of it.
    But, like most Canadians, I'm sure I will forgive, forget - and tune in as soon as the puck drops.
    And yes, Snake, the NHL needs the USA - but that doesn't mean the NHL needs a franchise in Phoenix, Arizona.

Unintentional Rayp'ist Spade: The Real Snake's Avatar

Yes | No

The CNUX need somewhere to golf
    Quote Originally Posted by Feryk
    What Snake Said
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily
    Snake is also correct about EVERYTHING.

Yes | No

Hey, you guys keep paying out $14M/year, we'll show up and golf.