Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 24/7 solar thermal power plant goes live!

Dining with Daemons Photobucket Dr. Meat Servo's Avatar

Yes | No

Default 24/7 solar thermal power plant goes live!

Torresol Energy has overcome one of solar energyís biggest challenges: operating when the sun doesnít shine. The 19.9 MW Gemasolar concentrated solar power plant in Spainís Andalucia province has two tanks of molten salt (MSES) that store heat energy generated throughout the day. Unlike normal plants that have less thermal storage or none at all, this stored energy enables Torresol to satisfy peak summer energy demand long after sunset.

If I die before I wake..  photo granny_zps6f721b53.jpg
    Photobucket

Yes | No

what does a kilowatt hour from this plant cost when subsidies are taken into account?
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Senior Member Photobucket
    Photobucket

Yes | No

In the long run I don't see how that matters.

The world is perishing from an orgy of self-sacrificing.

Photobucket

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Robot Jesus View Post
    In the long run I don't see how that matters.
    that's a fairly stupid thing to say. try again.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

Do think that the continued running of the plant is only viable if subsidised?

Or are you refering to the initial capital investment?

Photobucket

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Faustus View Post
    Do think that the continued running of the plant is only viable if subsidised?

Or are you refering to the initial capital investment?
    I'm not making a statement about the costs, I'm asking what the costs are.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Yes | No

I know but I was wondering what you meant when you mentioned subsidies

Photobucket

Yes | No

Continued running may only be viable due to subsidy, the initial investment may have been subsidised. Both are the case with a lot of renewable projects in the UK.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Yes | No

Couldnt find any figures just pieces saying that it was subsidised. The only figure on capital subsidy figure iI could find was 5,000,000 euros from the EU.

Senior Member Photobucket Craigypooh's Avatar

Yes | No

I had a look for costs too, which were surprisingly difficult to find. It cost £260m to build and is expected to produce 110GwH per year. But I couldn't find anything on the running costs (although I'd expect that to be pretty small by comparison) or expected lifetime (to amortise the investment), which you'd need to work out the cost per KwH. Reading around it seems the best solar power plants are about 10-20% more expensive than the least efficient gas turbines without CO2 capture.

If you want value for money then hydro, biomass, onshore wind and nuclear are all pretty similar to gas turbine.
    Last edited by Craigypooh; 29th April 12 at 05:59 AM.