Thread: Fusion - a new hope?

Dining with Daemons Photobucket Dr. Sold to the Highest Buddha's Avatar

Yes | No

Default Fusion - a new hope?

The simulations show the release of output energy that was, remarkably, many times greater than the energy fed into the container’s liner. The method appears to be 50 times more efficient than using X-rays — a previous favorite at Sandia — to drive implosions of targeted materials to create fusion conditions.

“People didn’t think there was a high-gain option for magnetized inertial fusion (MIF) but these numerical simulations show there is,” said Sandia researcher Steve Slutz, the paper’s lead author. “Now we have to see if nature will let us do it. In principle, we don’t know why we can’t.”
    High-gain fusion means getting substantially more energy out of a material than is put into it. Inertial refers to the compression in situ over nanoseconds of a small amount of targeted fuel.
    Such fusion eventually could produce reliable electricity from seawater, the most plentiful material on earth, rather than from the raw materials used by other methods: uranium, coal, oil, gas, sun or wind. In the simulations, the output demonstrated was 100 times that of a 60 million amperes (MA) input current. The output rose steeply as the current increased: 1,000 times input was achieved from an incoming pulse of 70 MA.
    Since Sandia’s Z machine can bring a maximum of only 26 MA to bear upon a target, the researchers would be happy with a proof-of-principle result called scientific break-even, in which the amount of energy leaving the target equals the amount of energy put into the deuterium-tritium fuel.
    This has never been achieved in the laboratory and would be a valuable addition to fusion science, said Slutz.
    Full article here

Well this would be great if they can validate the model. Sea water powered fusion WOOOOOHOOOOOOO!

Given that fusion has been a hot topic of reearch for many years now, how confident is the panel about it actually becomming a viable energy source?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post
    You say that like it's a problem. Financial self-interest is a reliable motivation, one that's been putting bosses and bitches together since the monolith taught the first man-ape to use a femur as a club.

If I die before I wake..  photo granny_zps6f721b53.jpg
    Photobucket

Yes | No

Best progress so far is in Europe. The next plant in France should be a precursor to a commercial plant. My bet is on it being decades away, but commercial reality within my lifetime.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...