Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Tai Chi as a martial art

Registered Member Lollius Urbicus's Avatar

Yes | No

It should be noted that you can carry on doing Judo well into old age

As long as you keep practices age appropriate and know your limitations, like anything else.

Senior Member  photo blind_zps3e8a80d7.jpg
     photo climate_zps68df1d20.jpg
    Photobucket

Yes | No

The only problem for judo (depending on what you want to do) you need a minimum of fitness and "not-too-injured" status. For tai chi "health" stuff you don't afaik.

But mostly you need good technical players to do it with... the local comp stable full of hunched-over meatheaded 20something won't usually be very fitting for an older recreational player.
    In big cities of course there are proper clubs where there's a bit of everything but many smaller clubs are very focused on the sport side of judo.

It was conceived as a lifelong activity, also in the intentions of the old man. I'd like to be able to do it into old age, like some people do tennis matches with their friends, they could throw each other around instead.
    - Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is Forever.

Senior Member Photobucket Craigypooh's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post
    so looking for 'pure' Tai Chi fighters in MMA would be a fools quest. I'm aware of 1 professional MMA fighter in the UK with a substantial Tai Chi background who had an 'okay' record, but he cross trained extensively.
    Looking for pure anything fighters in MMA is a fools quest nowadays. Everybody cross trains if they want to be successful. It's just a question of whether your base is any good for offence and how easy it is to fill in the holes in your defence.

It sounds like tai chi and BJJ would be a nice combination.
    Last edited by Craigypooh; 20th April 12 at 05:29 AM.

If I die before I wake..  photo granny_zps6f721b53.jpg
    Photobucket

Yes | No

If as many people interested in full contact competition trained in martial tai chi as trained in Judo or BJJ, maybe the picture would be different. But it's very hard these days to get the fresh meat through the door. The kind of people who would be interested in training up for a San Shou fight are the kind of people who usually visit the local MMA gym first, for totally understandable reasons.

Tim Cartmell is an interesting example of an 'internal martial arts/tai chi' guy who combined it with a blackbelt in BJJ.
    Last edited by Cullion; 20th April 12 at 05:31 AM.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Unintentional Rayp'ist  photo commie-3-1_zps471bb205.pngPhotobucket
    Photobucket

Yes | No

I think Cullion needs to go start a thread on Bullshido entitled:

Cross-Fit Is Merely Modern-Day Shaolin Temple Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Feryk
    What Snake Said
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily
    Snake is also correct about EVERYTHING.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...