Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Worlds smallest petrol engine?

  1. #11
    Registered Member Lollius Urbicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,336


    Yes | No

    Default

    Haven't I already seen this advert...


  2. #12
    If I die before I wake..  photo granny_zps6f721b53.jpg
    Photobucket
    Cullion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    37,543


    Yes | No

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Faustus View Post
    Energy density of petrol ~35 MJ/L and at best petrol engines are ~30% efficient.

    So lets say you get 10MJ/L of usable work out of the motor to generate electricity.

    The conversion from mechanical to electrical energy via an alternator is probably going to be ~60% efficient so we end up with 6.6MJ/L.

    Lets say a 'squirt' is 1 cubic centimeter (generous but make things easier) so we have 6.6KJ/cc.

    If you're runing something small like a notebook then you're probably using ~50W that's 50J/s so it'll run for ~132 seconds, so just over 2 minutes.
    By comparison Lithium ion batteries only have an energy density of 1-2 MJ/L IIRC, but that's not a big enough difference that I want a combustion engine chugging away on my lap.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

    Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

  3. #13
    Dining with Daemons Photobucket Dr. Sold to the Highest Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    9,366


    Yes | No

    Default

    Yeah a good Lithium-ion battery you'll get ~1KJ/g at 95% efficiency if you keep 'em cool.
    01000010 01101111 01101100 01101100 01101111 01111000

  4. #14


    Yes | No

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Faustus View Post
    Energy density of petrol ~35 MJ/L and at best petrol engines are ~30% efficient.

    So lets say you get 10MJ/L of usable work out of the motor to generate electricity.

    The conversion from mechanical to electrical energy via an alternator is probably going to be ~60% efficient so we end up with 6.6MJ/L.

    Lets say a 'squirt' is 1 cubic centimeter (generous but make things easier) so we have 6.6KJ/cc.

    If you're runing something small like a notebook then you're probably using ~50W that's 50J/s so it'll run for ~132 seconds, so just over 2 minutes.
    So with a liter of fuel I can run it for 200 minutes? That is awesome.

    I was thinking more along the lines of something smaller though, like a raspberry pi or a netbook.
    Snake - $20 on NoB
    Reese -God has a big dick but NoB impregnates more virgins.
    Reese - NoB often finds himself humbled in his own presence.
    Cullion-
    I concede under Nobs irrefutable onslaught of logic
    Dr. Max - NoB aleady knows, he's omniscient.
    Doofa - NoB giveth and NoB taketh away
    Lily-
    he's God's gift to women, the next step up in evolution
    resolve -
    a taco storm of unbridled fury
    User Friendly - Shall I compare NoB to a Summer's day? NoB art more lovely and more temperate
    bob - in many ways you are my favourite poster
    Snake - NoB is the internetz Viagra
    Commodore Pipes - You might be god after all
    Cy Q.Faunce - a lulz slot machine that rings the cherries every time
    Feryk - more entertaining than Jersey Shore & no commericials
    Lily - When I read your posts I can imagine there really is a God
    Snake - Easy is the head which rests NoB's crown
    Lebell - I'm not opposed to seeing you naked
    Helmutlvx - *sob* You're the sexiest man I've ever seen
    Ajamil - Every month should be NoB month
    SoulMechanic - the one person on the board I want to get shitfaced drunk with the most
    Cullion - I think I should just step back and get NoB to write my posts for me
    Angry Mandrill - amusing, entertaining, even witty
    Snake - I would SO be slipping you roofies.
    Moleculo - Tomorrow belongs to NoB
    MJS -ejaculates with enough force to rocket out of danger
    Nid - a pious man of refined tastes

  5. #15
    Dining with Daemons Photobucket Dr. Sold to the Highest Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    9,366


    Yes | No

    Default

    2000 minutes
    01000010 01101111 01101100 01101100 01101111 01111000

  6. #16
    If I die before I wake..  photo granny_zps6f721b53.jpg
    Photobucket
    Cullion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    37,543


    Yes | No

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Egg NoB View Post
    So with a liter of fuel I can run it for 200 minutes? That is awesome.

    I was thinking more along the lines of something smaller though, like a raspberry pi or a netbook.
    The volume of fuel you could fit in the space taken up by a battery would power the laptop for about 6 times as long as the best batteries currently available, if Max's efficiency figures held true for tiny engines like this.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

    Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •