Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hooked on Brothels

Yes | No

Default Hooked on Brothels

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Ho...512/story.html

Quote Originally Posted by Calgary Herald
    This week's Ontario Court of Appeal ruling on prostitution will make brothels legal within a year in Ontario, subject to an inevitable appeal by the Harper government to the Supreme Court.

The justices properly concluded that those who work in the world's oldest profession have the same constitutional right to security of the person as everyone else, something they currently do not have in a hypocritical system that says prostitution is legal, but forces its practitioners into dark alleys where they are exposed to monstrous predators like Robert Pickton.

The ruling, however, is naive. It presumes that prostitutes, male or female, will operate their businesses like walk-in clinics, presumably with all the licensing prerequisites of any business, such as indoor smoking bans and wheelchair accessible washrooms. The grim reality is that prostitution is mostly practised by the drug-addicted, the mentally ill and the desperately poor. For these, a licensed brothel will matter little.

Solicitation remains banned, meaning no advertising or "Hey sailor" come-ons, and exploitation by pimps also remains illegal. But living off the avails of prostitution will be legal as long as there is no exploitation or abuse, allowing prostitutes to hire security and support staff, such as maids and telephone reservation clerks. We doubt that someone hooked on crystal meth will have a business plan that advanced.

It is, however, a ruling that acknowledges the denial of a basic right. Prostitution will never be stamped out, and to ensure the safety of those who work in dehumanizing circumstances is a laudable goal.

Yet it is also laudable to encourage prostitutes to seek healthier alternatives, which may be hindered by a legalized brothel system. We thus must repeat what we wrote in 2010, when the original ruling by Ontario Superior Court Judge Susan Himel that precipitated this week's appeal decision was first rendered:

"If Himel's ruling stands, society will be diminished by a system that approves of the commodification of human beings through regulation. Sweden has taken the opposite approach to Canada. It holds "johns" - the customers - criminally responsible, rather than prostitutes. . . . Sweden does not criminalize the sale of sex, it criminalizes the purchase, and actively helps those caught in the sex trade to get out." A July 2010 report on the then 10-year-old Swedish model found that it has reduced human trafficking and organized crime, and did not drive the trade further underground.

The Ontario ruling became a sideline election issue this week when Premier Alison Redford, a former Alberta Solicitor General who opposes legalized brothels, trotted out a nearly 10-year-old column by the Wildrose party's libertarian leader Danielle Smith, who advocated red light districts for Calgary on these pages in 2003.

Smith now says it is a federal issue. That may be true, but if a future Supreme Court ruling backs the Ontario decision, it is one that has sober implications for all provinces, including Alberta.

Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Ho...#ixzz1qRK8kW64
    This issue comes up from time to time. I believe it should be regulated, monitored, and sanctioned. I also believe that a legitimate prostitute can run a healthy, viable business without organized crime being involved. But that's just me.

And no, I've never been to one, nor do I intend to.

Quote Originally Posted by Syntactical Dysruptorize
    Stop being nice. Start doing good.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulMechanic
    ...Also, never take a shit and throw it into a deep fryer. I really regret doing that.

Unintentional Rayp'ist Spade: The Real Snake's Avatar

Yes | No

After all Cracky's wild stories, I'm holding out for Kamloops wimminz
    Quote Originally Posted by Feryk
    What Snake Said
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily
    Snake is also correct about EVERYTHING.

Yes | No

You mean the ones that share the family tooth?

...Also, never take a shit and throw it into a deep fryer. I really regret doing that.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Feryk View Post

And no, I've never been to one, nor do I intend to.
    you say that now, as do I, but what about at 3 AM and a fifth of scotch?

I firmly believe I will never remember going to a brothel.

The world is perishing from an orgy of self-sacrificing.

Yes | No

The point is whether or not prostitution should be regulated and legalized, turned into a trade of sorts.

I'm in favor, but I'd like to hear from Lebell, cuz' is legal in Holland.

Has the tiny nation been overrun with hookers? Is there still a lot of illegal prostitution? Are drugs/crime a problem still associated with prostitution?

Yes | No

Bitches got 99 problems and a pimp aint one.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    MOM34 is easy to fist. 5 kids have come through that set of french dooors she calls a snatch.

Registered Member Lollius Urbicus's Avatar

Yes | No

The point is whether or not prostitution should be regulated and legalized, turned into a trade of sorts.

I'm in favor, but I'd like to hear from Lebell, cuz' is legal in Holland.

Has the tiny nation been overrun with hookers? Is there still a lot of illegal prostitution? Are drugs/crime a problem still associated with prostitution?
    Lots of unscrupulous Eastern European gangs trafficking girls under the pretence of working as a maid of cleaner.

Shengen means its super easy to transport them and the continent is so unequal that its still possibly to lure poor girls from villages and big cities with fake offers of work in the North Western states.

That's unlikely to be replicated in Canada unless there's some kind of underground slut road set up from Mexico, which is considerably logistically harder I would suspect.

Yes | No

What is 'Shengen'?

And we have enough problems now with Chinese snakeheads smuggling girls into the country then forcing them to work in massage parlors. My hope is that regulation and regular screening will help avoid this problem.

Registered Member Lollius Urbicus's Avatar

Yes | No

What is 'Shengen'?
    Schengen, I mistyped, basically an collection of countries in the EU who effectively have no border controls once inside the area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Agreement
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area

So as you can guess this makes it super easy to move people around illegally. Its also what helps prostitutes from West Africa trafficked all over Europe, because they smuggle them across the med in Spain or Italy and from there can basically move them to anywhere in the Schengen area.

Yes | No

Anytime there is an incentive to traffic in people, you have to assume someone will develop the infrastructure to do it.

I think it happens to a much smaller extent here. But it still happens.