Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Our Own DAYoung Chimes in on the 2012 US Presidential Race

Yes | No

Default Our Own DAYoung Chimes in on the 2012 US Presidential Race

Look at him, all writing legitimate commentaries for legitimate media outlets. WHY DON'T YOU LOVE US ANY MORE, DAMON!?

From ABC.net.au:

Like all Mormon ex-missionaries, Mitt Romney knows what is best for women.

"I respect and will protect," he said during his 2002 campaign for Massachusetts governor, "a woman's right to choose".

Unsurprisingly, this rhetoric did not last. As a conservative Christian, the Republican presidential candidate will oppose women's control over their own reproductive destiny. This is why Romney tried to veto a Massachusetts law requiring religious hospitals to provide contraception for rape victims. It is why he is now critical of Obama's plan to force religious institutions to cover contraception in their employee insurance.

Here's the rest of it: http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/3835656.html
    Last edited by Phrost; 23rd February 12 at 08:33 AM.
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. "
    - Robert A. Heinlein

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

I wish Damon would address the property rights issue here.

When does a woman's right to choose become a woman's right to insist that a religious institution provide her with a particular type of treatment ?
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

Damo !!

We miss ya mate .
    Thank GOD I'm an Atheist .

Unintentional Rayp'ist Spade: The Real Snake's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post
    I wish Damon would address the property rights issue here.

When does a woman's right to choose become a woman's right to insist that a religious institution provide her with a particular type of treatment ?
    I would argue that when that very same religious institution begins or continues to accept government monies in the form of Medicare/Medicaid while continuing to claim tax-exempt status.

I would like Damon to address:
    In his Natural History essay, Gould argued that science is concerned with empirical facts and theories, and religion with value, including moral value and what might be called 'ultimate value'.
    while continuing
    The selectivity of this sleight of hand is telling
    In short: faith is never wholly pure.
    However, this freedom, as is so often noted by secular authors, is not a license to curtail the freedoms of others.
    We have scientists promoting their own social agendas, under the auspices of "advancing mankind" while installing their own concept of morals and ethics by agreeing to not explore *other* aspects of science they see as distasteful.....such as human cloning.

There is a conscious selective application of the rules wherein science is considered "pure" yet religion is considered "stilted".
    Quote Originally Posted by Feryk
    What Snake Said
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily
    Snake is also correct about EVERYTHING.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    I would argue that when that very same religious institution begins or continues to accept government monies in the form of Medicare/Medicaid while continuing to claim tax-exempt status.
    I don't think tax exempt status or Medicare/Medicaid has any bearing on the situation. It's not healthcare providers that's the issue, but health insurance providers.
    Arjuna: Is the universe supposed to be something else?

Normand: Yeah, it's a collection of places commodore pipes
    has chomped pillows while being reamed up the ass.
    Fortunately, that's not ALL it is.

how's your day going, commode-pipe?

Yes | No

We have scientists promoting their own social agendas, under the auspices of "advancing mankind" while installing their own concept of morals and ethics by agreeing to not explore *other* aspects of science they see as distasteful.....such as human cloning.
    This is absolutely true, and it has gone other ways, too, with some scientists promoting radical social positions, usually when government gets involved. The Tuskeegee Experiment and Operations Plowshare, Plumbbob and Starfish Prime spring to mind.
    Last edited by Commodore Pipes; 23rd February 12 at 11:15 AM.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore Pipes View Post
    I don't think tax exempt status or Medicare/Medicaid has any bearing on the situation. It's not healthcare providers that's the issue, but health insurance providers.
    The Federal Mandate is pretty much set. If the exemption is expected or required for one, it will be equally applied to the other.
    What Snake Said

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore Pipes View Post
    This is absolutely true, and it has gone other ways, too, with some scientists promoting radical social positions, usually when government gets involved. The Tuskeegee Experiment and Operations Plowshare, Plumbbob and Starfish Prime spring to mind.
    Downwinders.
    What Snake Said

Yes | No

*gibbers madly, stalks family traveling in RV*

Yes | No

The Federal Mandate is pretty much set. If the exemption is expected or required for one, it will be equally applied to the other.
    Explain, please. I have a counterpoint but I think it is a counterpoint to a point you didn't make, and I don't want us to waste any more time on serious discussions than we have to. There are dick jokes to be made, after all.