Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Leg Press

Yes | No

Default Leg Press

So I have started lifting weights again after a long hiatus, and I've started working out my legs after never working out my legs. I always had strong legs without having to do anything for them, so I never did. But my lifetime of laziness has caught up with me, and I am getting so goddamn fat, that I am working everything I can. So I started using the ram sled, and I've noticed something:

I can leg press hella more than I can squat.

On one level that doesn't surprise me, because injuries are the reason why I took the long hiatus from weights to begin with, and I am still nervous about squatting too much. I am still working on developing good form. But I don't feel a good pump from it, just a lot of sore little stabilizers. If there a way to figure out a target weight for squat based off of my leg press, or should the sore little stabilizers be a sign that I should stick with developing my form? ANd before you yell at me for not starting squats earlier, yes, yes I know the squat is the super best, but I was a young man with disproportionately strong legs, and I mostly worked on my vanity muscles.
    Arjuna: Is the universe supposed to be something else?

Normand: Yeah, it's a collection of places commodore pipes
    has chomped pillows while being reamed up the ass.
    Fortunately, that's not ALL it is.

how's your day going, commode-pipe?

Registered Member Supporting Member bob's Avatar

Yes | No

Which stabilisers?

Yes | No

I'm not sure what they are called, but mostly along the outside of my feet and on the upper back and outside of my legs, just below my fine ass. DOMS hits those the hardest. My quads, on the otherhand, never get DOMS from squats. I try to get my ass as low as I can - usually the bottom of my ass lines up with the bottom of my gastroc. That's as low as I can go and keep my back straight my knees behind my toes.

Yes | No

Where's Mole when you actually need him?

Put down the Ben&Jerry's now!!
    "She's shown she's into Butterface not Butterbody, too." - Snake

not long for this world nihilist's Avatar

Yes | No

Keep your weight on your heels
    Keep your chin up
    Don't go power than parallel
    Don't worry about going heavy for a few months and stick with higher reps (10-12)
    Muscles recuperate quickly but tendons and ligaments take months and months to build so don't be a hero and end up injured.

Registered Member Supporting Member bob's Avatar

Yes | No

What reese said +

You can use tables like this to give you a very general idea of what average individuals lift. Never listen to anyone who tells you that you 'should be lifting more than that'.

Get a professional to check your form (preferably a strength and conditioning coach who has experience working with athletes, not just a gym's personal trainer). Even if you have to pay for it, it's worth the money in the long term.

Also, don't think of squats as a 'leg' exercise. There's a lot more to it than that.

Finally, leg presses are ghey.

Yes | No

Why is it that some individuals have stronger/more conditioned/more flexible tendons and ligaments? It seems like they're aspects that are built up incidentally in your average gym goer.

I guess it's generally exposed when some choose to lift beyond what they are capable (and lack proper form) or make sudden movements during an activity?
    "She's shown she's into Butterface not Butterbody, too." - Snake

Yes | No

This is a good explanation of squat basics as far as form goes.
    remember to keep the bar perfectly parallel throughout the exercise.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6RIs8-AVwM

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    Why is it that some individuals have stronger/more conditioned/more flexible tendons and ligaments? It seems like they're aspects that are built up incidentally in your average gym goer.

I guess it's generally exposed when some choose to lift beyond what they are capable (and lack proper form) or make sudden movements during an activity?
    I'd say 90% of people have an incomplete stretching routine. This causes poor form which exacerbates injuries. As far as incidental conditioning goes, if your exercises don't mimic the activity you train for, you won't build the proper amount of strength and flexibility in parts of the connective tissue and therefore it is the 'Achilles heel' that also leaves one open to injuries when attempting unfamiliar stresses. Stretching is actually exercise that conditions the muscles and connective tissue. It's not only useful for gaining flexibility.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Moleculo View Post
    Don't go power than parallel
    Is this supposed to be "lower than parallel"?Can you explain this a little more? I thought that the lower you get, the more reward, as long as your knees aren't positioned in front of your toes. Do you mean don't go lower than parallel ever, or until I have more experience and the form down?

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    You can use tables like this to give you a very general idea of what average individuals lift. Never listen to anyone who tells you that you 'should be lifting more than that'...
    I am actually right on track for "Untrained" according to that table.

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    Finally, leg presses are ghey.
    Probably, but sometimes the old ego boost of big lifts of mostly nonfunctional strength like the calf raise helps keep me motivated.
    Last edited by Commodore Pipes; 13th December 11 at 09:14 AM.