Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: No Virginia, the earth is 10k years old.

Yes | No

Default No Virginia, the earth is 10k years old.

So this morning I was watching a TV show about how the earth was formed and how land masses changed over the eons. During a commercial break my oldest daughter asked me "Isnt the earth like 6000 years old?"
    I asked her where she had heard that, knowing full well where she had heard it, and she replied "Sunday School last week"

Now, Im not a very or even semi religious person but MOM34 is. I didnt want to out and out tell her that her sunday school teacher was a batshit crazy bitch so I took the high road. (read "High Road" as I wanted to get laid sometime this weekend since MOM34 bought a new s3xy t1m3 outfit)

I told her that the earth was about 4.5 billion years old. She said that her SS teacher told her that the earth was created in 7 days. I explained to her that time isnt relavent to God and that a million years is but a blink to him. I also explained that God created the universe based on scientific principles and man used the scientific principles to date the earth. She said that, that made sense to her.

I later explained to MOM34 what had transpired and told her that if the subject came up in SS again, my oldest would undoubtedly repeat what I said. I then informed MOM34 that if it became a problem with the SS teacher I was going to put my foot down and not let the kids go back to that class. I explained that I dont want the kids to get the wrong "facts" fed to them by some overzealous housewife that makes sure dinner is on the table for hubby when he gets home.

Well.......now she (MOM34) is a tad bit frazzled with me. Did I do the wrong thing? I havent told them there is no Santa Claus either, so I dont see the harm in mixing truth with religious supposition.

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

Be prepared to discuss the evidence for each hypothesis. You have stronger evidence on your side. I'm sure your wife loves your children enough to not want them to grow up believing demonstrably untrue things, but it may well be the case that these truths have never been demonstrated to her.

She may be quite rightly concerned about the endgame. The endgame is where cynical, disturbed people use a stupid literal interpretation of the Bible to try and refute all it's ethical wisdom in order to create a broken society that seems entirely rational if you're willing to sacrifice truth and beauty to the machine god.

Tell your wife that.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

Tell you daughter the Earth is mother to us all, and it's not right to talk about a lady's age like that.

Will she be set upon you? jubei33's Avatar

Yes | No

^"keep your pagan deities away from my children!!"
    Where have all the hobos gone to?

RESOLVE IS A DISHONEST PERSON.

http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

Yes | No

Black kids go to sunday school?

I thought they were dragged by their ears to the adult services several times per week.
    If your daughter isn't wearing her hijab, you can see it and slap her.

-Creativo

Yes | No

Who mentioned deities? I'm talking about respect.

SFGOON

Yes | No

My wife is in the bedroom loudly crying right now because I won't let her get another dog.

She can get as mad as she wants, but the answer is and will always be no.

How do I cope? Simple, by not coping. Instead, I relish her emotional agony. The key is to make her feel stupid and clumsy. She will have less energy for disagreeing with you if she's always depressed.

Registered Member staff EuropIan's Avatar

Yes | No

You are Ian's plaything, responding to his touch with shrieks of orgasmic delight. No woman in the history of the world is having better sex than sex you are having with Ian... in my head.

Registered Member Supporting Member bob's Avatar

Yes | No

I'm going to need a little more information if I'm going to help you here. Describe your wife's new outfit in detail please.

Robstafarian

Yes | No

Your actions were completely justified, and you didn't go too far. Honestly, I would've gone further.

I would tell MOM34 that the Sunday School teacher is attempting to give your daughter a medieval mindset which will cause her to feel feel alienated from, and threatened by, modern existence. Consider how many present advocates of Mad Bishop Ussher's Chronology (the most likely source of the Sunday School teacher's claim) are manifestly ignorant of Epistemology and Ontology. Hell, most of them don't even know the claim comes from a 17th century Anglican.