Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This old chestnut again

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

Default This old chestnut again

Sir Ian Gilmore, the retiring head of the Royal College of Physicians, has today called for all drugs (including cocaine and heroin) to be decriminalised on the grounds that it would reduce crime and make it less dangerous for user's health because they wouldn't be contaminated with as many impurities.

He goes on to suggest that drugs should be available in a regulated way, with addiction being treated as a medical problem. (echoes of Ron Paul's drugs policy).

This comes a few weeks after the head of the legal Bar in England and Wales expressed the same view.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...op-doctor.html

Reason and sanity? or evidence of a British Liberal Elite hopelessly out of touch, trying to make policies which will probably be safe and fun for middle class college students but lead to something like a social apocalypse in the council estates of the UK ?
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Registered Member Supporting Member bob's Avatar

Yes | No

Why do you think it will lead to social apocalypse? Surely drugs can't get any more available in housing estates in the UK.

Registered Member staff EuropIan's Avatar

Yes | No

Decriminalisation would take money away from criminals.

What would they seek as new revenue streams?
    You are Ian's plaything, responding to his touch with shrieks of orgasmic delight. No woman in the history of the world is having better sex than sex you are having with Ian... in my head.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by bob
    Why do you think it will lead to social apocalypse? Surely drugs can't get any more available in housing estates in the UK.
    I didn't say I thought it would, I presented it as one of two options.

I'm in favour of treating Cannabis, Ecstasy and Cocaine the same way we treat prostitution in the UK. i.e. some cities allow 'massage parlours' and it's always been legal in private, but it cannot be on sale in the street or anywhere near a residential area, school or playground.

Heroin, PCP and Crack? I'm genuinely not sure.
    Last edited by Cullion; 17th August 10 at 05:45 AM.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

Like, ofcourse drugs should be dicriminalised man.
    doing anything else would be fascist and unnatural.
    drugs arent that bad and it makes you see the universe in like a more total and deep way, you know?
    and for all those fascists who are antidrugs and stuff i'd like to say:' thats just your opinion, man!'
    Quote Originally Posted by The people
    So is Lebell a mod yet?

Yes | No

Murder is wrong, but if we criminalise it, it will just go underground.

Wait, what?
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Yes | No

Cocaine is arguable. Cannabis is obvious.

Heroin, no. People die from dosaging problems cuz they...well...they wanna get really high (er, low). More is better until it's not...and then they stop breathing abruptly.

Been a number of ODs since January. College aged and below. Gross.

PCP, no. No matter the dosage, enough people go stark-raving mad in a non-progressive and unable-to-predict manner.
    Last edited by Kein Haar; 17th August 10 at 07:04 AM.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Nid
    Heroin, no. People die from dosaging problems cuz they...well...they wanna get really high (er, low). More is better until it's not...and then they stop breathing abruptly.

Been a number of ODs since January. College aged and below. Gross.

PCP, no. No matter the dosage, enough people go stark-raving mad in a non-progressive and unable-to-predict manner.
    The reason I'm not sure is that you saw these terrible things happen, somewhere that those drugs are already completely illegal.

All of the drugs I listed as 'not sure about' I am aware are horribly dangerous and degrading poisons.

What I'm not sure about is whether criminalising them has reduced usage, and whether decriminalisation could make them in any way safer (the 'public health checks for dangerous impurities' argument).

I'm picturing what the decriminalised heroin or PCP society would be like.

Queues of junkies at the pharmacy on welfare cheque day I should think. (We already have that now in some towns and cities in the UK for methadone which is prescribed for heroin addicts).

Would there be more such addicts than there are now ? I'm genuinely not sure. If the number of addicts went up, it would be a bad idea.

Could their stealing habits be reduced ? Hmm.. maybe, if it decriminalisation made it cheaper and it was no longer sold on credit. Maybe. I'm not really sure here either.

Could we reduce their health complications by supplying them with stuff that's not so contaminated ? Probably.
    Last edited by Cullion; 17th August 10 at 07:45 AM.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Registered Member billy sol hurok's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Nid
    Doesn't that argue more strongly for regulated dosages/quality?

I mean, the local bartender has the obligation to cut you off when she thinks you've had "enough." Why not the local smack tavern?

Yes | No

we should legalise everything.
    its the perfect solution to crime.
    lets start with tax evasion.
    Quote Originally Posted by The people
    So is Lebell a mod yet?