Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2010 World Cup in Sarth Afreeka

Registered Member staff EuropIan's Avatar
    You are Ian's plaything, responding to his touch with shrieks of orgasmic delight. No woman in the history of the world is having better sex than sex you are having with Ian... in my head.

Yes | No

I say go for it Cullion. Last time America went up against Mexico I won a sum just short of 3 grand. Many a busboy's wife was beaten silly that night I would imagine.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    MOM34 is easy to fist. 5 kids have come through that set of french dooors she calls a snatch.

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Truculent Sheep
    Apparently the 7/1 odds offered for England winning the World Cup are unrealistic. Dark rumours circulating at present suggest more realistic odds of 20/1, but which bookie is silly enough to admit to that?
    Betting odds are market prices. If lots of people irrationally bet on England, the odds won't reflect their actual chance of winning. Bookies adjust their odds to ensure they won't have to pay out more than they've taken in, so if lots of people start betting on something, they lower the payout.

It's not that the bookies don't want to admit the odds, so much as them adjusting the odds to represent what people are betting on because that's just how the maths of being a bookie work.
    Last edited by Cullion; 12th June 10 at 08:21 AM.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

i think holland will make it at least to the quarter finals.
    but im not sure about the semi's, perhaps, first i wanna see em against denmark.
    Quote Originally Posted by The people
    So is Lebell a mod yet?

Hein vom Richterbach adored! Photobucket Truculent Sheep's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    Betting odds are market prices. If lots of people irrationally bet on England, the odds won't reflect their actual chance of winning. Bookies adjust their odds to ensure they won't have to pay out more than they've taken in, so if lots of people start betting on something, they lower the payout.

It's not that the bookies don't want to admit the odds, so much as them adjusting the odds to represent what people are betting on because that's just how the maths of being a bookie work.
    It sounds more like they're pushing down the odds for reasons of jingoism.

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

The fans are the ones pushing down the odds with Jingoism. Their jingoism is making them overestimate England's chances of winning.

This is just mathematical to a bookmaker, it's his living.
    Last edited by Cullion; 12th June 10 at 02:38 PM.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

How is the tie going over?

Is it breakup time for the special relationship?
    I'm here a week now... waiting for a mission... getting softer. Every minute I sit in front of this computer, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the gym, he gets stronger

Yes | No

Nice to know I am not the only one that noise is annoying the hell out of..

Vuvuzela drone killing World Cup atmosphere

John Leicester is an international sports columnist for The Associated Press

The constant drone of cheap and tuneless plastic horns is killing the atmosphere at the World Cup.

Where are the loud choruses of "Oooohhsss" from enthralled crowds when a shot scorches just wide of the goalpost? And the sharp communal intake of breath, the shrill "Aaahhhhss," when a goalkeeper makes an acrobatic, match-winning save? Or the humorous/moving/offensive football chants and songs?

Mostly, they're being drowned out by the unrelenting water-torture beehive hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm of South African vuvuzela trumpets. Damn them. They are stripping World Cup 2010 of football's aural artistry.

WORLD CUP FANS
    Some of the world's most colorful characters show up every four years at the World Cup. Check out the best fan shots at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.
    Vuvuzela apologists - a few more weeks of this brainless white noise will perhaps change, or melt, their minds - defend the din as simply part of the South African experience. Each country to its own, they say. When in Rome, blah, blah, blah.

Which would be fine if this was purely a South African competition. Fans could then legitimately hoot away to their hearts' content while annoying no one other than their immediate neighbors.

But this is the World Cup, a celebration of the 32 nations that qualified and of all the others that did not but which still play and love the game. Hosting planet football brings responsibilities. At the very least, South Africa should ensure that the hundreds of millions of visitors who come in goodwill to its door, both in person and via the magic of television, do not go home with a migraine. How many TV viewers who long for a more nuanced soundtrack to go with the show have already concluded that the only way to enjoy this World Cup is by pressing mute on their remote?

In Tweeting "No offense to the vuvuzela posse but, man, it's a bit much," seven-time Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong was not alone.

Attending or watching a match should be a feast for both the eyes and the ears. Those two senses work better together, each augmenting the other.

How do you feel about South Africa's vuvuzelas? Can't stand 'em! Get 'em out! They provide a nice atmosphere I barely notice either way
    Sounds should ebb and flow like tides with the fortunes on the field. That adds to the drama. Fans reacting with their voices to action on the pitch, to events in the stadium and to each other's sounds, songs and chants are part of football's theater.

A sudden crowd silence can also tell a story - perhaps of the heartbreak of a late, defeat-inflicting goal or of the collective shock of seeing a player horribly injured by a bad tackle. Sometimes, you should even be able to hear a coach bark orders from the touchline or players shouting at each other for the ball.

There are stadium sounds other than vuvuzelas at this World Cup - just not enough of them. They are being bullied into submission by the trumpets' never-ending screech.

In Rustenburg there were scattered unison chants of "In-ger-land, In-ger-land," a few bars of "God Save the Queen" and the occasional "USA! USA!" when England played the United States on Saturday night. But vuvuzelas ultimately won the battle of the bands. They and the result - a disappointing 1-1 tie - silenced England's fans, who usually are among the best-drilled noisemakers in football.

They take their singing seriously, with chants that are cheeky, taunting and often just insulting. But at least they are inventive, too.

The same cannot be said of vuvuzelas. They are simply mindless. Their pitch doesn't change, just the intensity. Blow hard. Blow soft. The only range is from horrifically loud to just annoyingly so. Because of that, we absolutely could not hear the rich African voices of Ghana fans who sang lustily Sunday at the Loftus Versfeld in Pretoria, vibrantly clothed in their national colors of green and red. What a shame.

Please, South Africa, make the trumpets stop. Give us a song, instead.

The same cannot be said of vuvuzelas. They are simply mindless. Their pitch doesn't change, only the intensity. Blow hard. Blow soft. The only range is from horrifically loud to just annoyingly so.

Please, South Africa, make them stop. Give us a song, instead.

As far as the Games today..Germany was absolutely dominant in their opening match defeating the Aussies 4-0 and Ghana became the first African nation to score a victory beating Serbia 1-0.
    You can always count on the Germans to put in solid performance, but they were handling the ball so well today it was really incredible..
    As far as the USA-England match yesterday goes...if that English keeper had been doing his job the USA would have lost. Being a keeper in football is a tough position, I know first-hand because I played the position in University.. the saves that are impossible to make are forgiven by your fellow team members because they truly are impossible, but flubbing a play like that is almost inexcusable.He lost that game for them.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by KO'd N DOA
    Woe hold on there. We provided the seeds for the turf, meaning that once again Canada wins another grass competition.

My vote is for Spain - inlaws require that kind of loyalty.
    Yes..inlaw requirements are what forces me to cheer for Greece but my heart is with the Germans since Canada and Scotland never get in.

Yes | No

Default Ball To Blame ??

Oh, I see its the BALL'S fault...
    Whatever..

Controversy over World Cup ball won’t die

By Martin Rogers, Yahoo! Sports
    4 hours, 20 minutes ago

POLOKWANE, South Africa – The infamous Jabulani World Cup ball has had goalkeepers in the tournament worrying, panicking and complaining for the past week. Now it has reduced one of them to tears.

Adidas claims that the Jabulani World Cup ball is the most accurate ever produced. (Photo by Stuart Franklin/Getty Images) Algeria’s Faouzi Chaouchi was the latest keeper to be impacted when he allowed a long-range strike from Slovenia’s Robert Koren to evade his grasp and produce the only goal of a 1-0 loss at Peter Mokaba Stadium on Sunday.

Chaouchi could not control his emotions after the game. After striding through the interview zone without pausing to speak to reporters, he boarded the team bus and cried.

English fans react

“You could see he had tears in his eyes and he could not help it,” said Algeria fan Mohammed Dahbi. “It is sad for the country but it is not his fault. Anyone can make a mistake and unlucky things can happen with that ball.”

That ball is the adidas Jabulani, and it already has sparked a storm of controversy. The manufacturer claims it is the most accurate ball ever made, but some weird plays on the field say otherwise.

Its unpredictability may have benefited the United States on Saturday night, when Clint Dempsey’s tame effort worked its way past England’s Robert Green. In truth, both Green and Algeria’s Chaouchi should have made comfortable saves on the goals they conceded. Yet on both occasions, there was significant movement in the air once the ball had been kicked.

“For sure, it is the ball,” said Algeria defender Madjid Bougherra. “You could see it moving, and once it bounced in front of him it just took off and gave a crazy bounce.”

The goal came in the 79th minute. Algeria, playing with 10 men after substitute Abdelkader Ghezzal was sent off, was trying to hang on for a draw. But the game’s only goal appeared to have more to do with the ball than the 11 vs. 10 situation. Just ask the scorer.

“Every player, if he is being honest, will tell you there is something strange about the ball,” said Koren, the Slovenia captain. “It is different to what we are used to and it gives keepers a big problem – like we saw today.”

Slovenia might be the only team in Group C without much of a problem. Certainly, there are nervous times ahead for the United States, England and Algeria.

And, surely, for a certain manufacturer whose signature product is coming under ever-increasing scrutiny. Adidas, however, defends the ball.

“This ball has been around since December and been used around the world with very few comments,” Andy Harland, the developer of the ball, said in a recent interview with British television station Sky Sports News. “Teams have gone to altitude and you have seen comments in those situations.”

A skeptical public – and 32 starting goalkeepers – might take a bit more convincing.