Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Emissions trading scheme - please explain

Yes | No

Default Emissions trading scheme - please explain

This is not a thread about whether global warming is real but rather what simply is an Emission tradings scheme, how does it work, will it work etc.

For example, i understand that first you seek to measure co2 production and then set limits which if you go over you have to purchase other businesses credits.

Then what, does the government get the money, if so how do they spend it?

I did see a news report that many African nations at the latest round of climate meetings wanted compensation for the fact that developed nations had screwed the world, and a significant portion (billions) of ETS funds were proposed to be given to underdeveloped nations as 'compensation'

With the trading if I run a business with very low emissions, and I trade them to say a mining company, does any carbon actually get reduced or we just figuratively trade our emissions and feel better about it.

Do any countries have one up and running, if so where does the money flow?

Yes | No

This is what I thought, I dont think anyone can in plain language describe what an ETS is or how it is supposed to help.

We can talk about whether Global warming is real, or even man made or in our control, but if we cant fix it what does it matter.

Just a thought.

Yes | No

The process is called "Cap and Trade," so after the initial cap, you are no longer reducing emissions.

Theoretically, after the cap, people would cease to produce more emissions total, and either buy more credits to produce more individually, or improve their technology to become more efficient.

If you stand to make more money just producing more and paying the fines for the excess emissions, then you're increasing the total amount of emissions produced.

The credits are supposed to be distributed by the government, either by auction or by handing them out in proportion to emissions produced. Of course, this gives more incentive to produce more emissions to get more credits, and kind of screws over any smaller sized business that wants in on the action.

Also theoretically, the money paid to the government for the credits or fines should be going to reducing the damage done by the emissions, or by reducing the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, or on green technology to improve efficiency, etc. I suppose this means it could go to help the global South as well, but I've never heard of such a plan specifically.

Yes | No

As long as the first world countries continue to avoid diligently bringing everyone else up to speed it is a wasted effort. It's just a "when no body is looking, you pollute there, and I'll pollute here" scheme.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    Steve wasn't in CTC but he's one of us in spirit. I can't explain it.
    <3

SHARK FARTS!

Yes | No

Perhaps this belongs in a more serious folder than CTC?

Done!
    Last edited by Kiko; 25th May 10 at 11:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce View Post
    We all have our respective crosses to bear.... We all have flaws and virtues, and frequently our virtues are bound up with our flaws. And those characteristics are all magnified when one takes charge of a quarrelsome Internet forum.
    for example....
    Quote Originally Posted by Yiktin Voxbane View Post
    It's the rough end of the pineapple for you Mon ami .

Registered Member staff EuropIan's Avatar

Yes | No

DO IT!!
    You are Ian's plaything, responding to his touch with shrieks of orgasmic delight. No woman in the history of the world is having better sex than sex you are having with Ian... in my head.

Yes | No

Cap and Trade and other various "stop global warming" economic projects are getting kind of silly to me. Like this one.
    They laugh about it now, but when Greenville residents heard about a federally-funded "carbon sequestration" project...
    "We were scared," says Frankie Gilmore, a local mailman.
    Gilmore and many of his neighbors in rural Ohio had never heard of "carbon sequestration." But in 2008, scientists from Battelle, a major R&D lab, came to call. They wanted to demonstrate that you could capture and bury CO2 emissions miles beneath the earth. The government is looking to apply the technology widely to burning coal.
    But local newspaper editor Christina Chalmers says townspeople were grumbling from the get-go.
    "A lot of people did not even believe in global warming," says Chalmers. "So they just thought it was a bunch of garbage."
    Battelle held several public meetings but townspeople were uncomfortable. It wasn't clear to them who was responsible if anything went wrong. There was a slight chance the CO2 injections could cause earthquakes. And what if the CO2 somehow leaked into the water supply? Battelle assured them quakes and leakage were an extremely low risk. But by 2009 a couple of Internet-savvy grandmothers had started Citizens Against CO2 Sequestration.
    Co-founder Jan Teaford wrote their blog.
    "This is our home. We live here. Those people don't live here. They're never going to live here," says Teaford. "And we felt we had a right to protect it and we should have a say in what goes on here."
    The group wrote letters to the editor, knocked on doors. They even held a prayer rally. And hundreds of lawn signs reading "No CO2 Waste in Darke County" peppered the town. On August 19th, Battelle scrapped the project, citing "business considerations."

Maybe I'm not fully understanding "CO2 waste," but don't we inject CO2 into our soft drinks to make them fizzy? Why are people freaked out by CO2 so much that they fear it being under their feet? I heard of this and thought, "How nice - a silly project to bring jobs and notoriety into a small town." They're treating it like someone's trying to build a prison for radioactive zombies.

Registered Member staff EuropIan's Avatar

Yes | No

Stop it! Volcano! Stop it!

stop it or we tax the shit out of you!
    You are Ian's plaything, responding to his touch with shrieks of orgasmic delight. No woman in the history of the world is having better sex than sex you are having with Ian... in my head.

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

It's about Manbearpig. This creepy, money-grubbing democratic Manbearpig (and many like him, around the world) here:-

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esoFaupuMMg

Look, if you were a smart, but kind of lazy and ammoral, politically connected ivy league graduate, which would you rather do:-

i) Make your living via the risky, dirty, accountable results-oriented heavy-industry of getting fossil fuels out of the ground where fuckups like we're seeing BP make in the gulf cost you billions of dollars.

ii) Find a numbers guy from an investment bank and use your political contacts and name as a reasonably in demand public speaker to travel around the country on expenses to drum up support for laws which meant you and your partner got a cut of whatever those dimwitted 'do stuff and make things' people were doing with all that delicious, delicious oil.

Oh yes, I'm that cynical.
    Last edited by Cullion; 25th May 10 at 04:49 PM.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

P.S. I'm sorta into this soft-spoken blonde milf here:-

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbLK4RZDdzI
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.