Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Make a real difference in the economy - Forgive Student Loans

Yes | No

Default Make a real difference in the economy - Forgive Student Loans

Ok this is how it works.

You graduated high school. Congratulations! You can either 1) join the workforce right away (socially frowned upon), 2) go to a tech school for comparitively little money and join the workforce as a skilled laborer right off the bat (earning shit-tons but confined to a specialized field), 3) go to college, get an aa degree, ba/bs/bfa, or keep going to college and get an ma/mfa/ms/md/phd and depending on your choice of school/specialty end up with anywhere from 40k to 250k in student loan debt once you graduate.

Those that chose to enter the workforce right away will have a 4 year experience lead over you in most entry-level positions. Those that went to tech school will have a 3 year experience lead and have qualified special traning. Those that stuck with their AA degrees usually get stuck in dead-end secretarial type jobs or are confined to lower level positions in companies of their field speciality (from personal experience). The college grads usually take 6 months to a year to find a position within their field if they didn't go to school for one of the few "hot" careers (doctor, lawyer, engineer, nursing) and even then they might be one of the unlucky few to not find a job and usually those degree paths require even more money.

For those unlucky few who didn't have their parents or a scholarship/grant to pay for their schooling, the college grads will be saddled with debt. This debt will most likely run $200-600 a month and take up 20% of their income even if they get a job in their field.

Think about the effect forgiving the debt of millions of hard-working, accomplished americans would do if suddenly they had that 20% of their income back to spend money and invest with.

There are people in their 50s and 60s who have steadily been paying off their student loans and still owe around $50k.

Most college graduates end up in a worse financial situation than those that did not go to college. At least for the majority of their working lives. It is the rare few who are able to even use their degrees to their full advantage and earn what someone with higher education should earn.

Read some of the stories on this petition: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/Rea...-Student-Loans

Registered Member Supporting Member bob's Avatar

Yes | No

Think about the effect forgiving the debt of millions of hard-working, accomplished americans
    Have you really thought about it?

Yes | No

Fine... I want my $10K back for paying it faithfully when I was supposed to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce View Post
    We all have our respective crosses to bear.... We all have flaws and virtues, and frequently our virtues are bound up with our flaws. And those characteristics are all magnified when one takes charge of a quarrelsome Internet forum.
    for example....
    Quote Originally Posted by Yiktin Voxbane View Post
    It's the rough end of the pineapple for you Mon ami .

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    Most college graduates end up in a worse financial situation than those that did not go to college. At least for the majority of their working lives.
    Horseshit.

I'm all about more aid and less loans for students. Give me a couple of drinks and I can even get turned on by free tuition for all. But college pays off better than any other investment you could make.
    I'm here a week now... waiting for a mission... getting softer. Every minute I sit in front of this computer, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the gym, he gets stronger

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

Yes, because your government totally has that spare money to throw around right now.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Registered Member Supporting Member bob's Avatar

Yes | No

If you're looking for genuine alternatives, consider the HECS system

Spoiler:

In 1989, the Hawke Labor Government set up the Higher Education Contributions Scheme (HECS)[3], which was developed by economist and lecturer at the Australian National University, Bruce Chapman and championed by Education Minister John Dawkins (see Dawkins Revolution). Under the original HECS, a $1,800 fee was charged all university students, and the Commonwealth paid the balance. A student could defer payment of this HECS amount (in which case it was called a HECS debt) and repay the debt through the tax system, when the student's income reached a certain level. As part of the reforms, Colleges of Advanced Education entered the University sector by various means.
    In 1996, the new Howard Coalition Government, while otherwise retaining the HECS system, created a three-tier HECS fee structure. Fees were charged on the basis of the perceived value of courses. Courses considered to have most likelihood of generating higher income for students in the future (eg. Law and Medicine) were the most expensive and those least likely to generate higher income (eg. Nursing and Arts) were the least expensive. At the same time, HECS charges increased by an average of 40%. Universities were permitted to create full-fee places on which they could charge full up-front fees to students who missed out on a HECS place.

Yes | No

Hey shut up assholes, there's a product I'm working on that more or less requires people having to go into debt for college.

Yes | No

what does this do to help retired people, will never pass.

Yes | No

There are a bunch of people who cannot retire now because they are still paying off their student loans. They are age range 50-60ish.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy
    Horseshit.

I'm all about more aid and less loans for students. Give me a couple of drinks and I can even get turned on by free tuition for all. But college pays off better than any other investment you could make.

Depends entirely on 2 factors:

The major you get into.
    What jobs are available for that major when you graduate.

Sure there are lots of people who get into business or end up with some weird job somewhere with a completely unrelated degree; but they are usually the exception and not the rule.