Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcyclists: do you suit up?

Seriously PhotobucketPhotobucket
    Photobucket

Yes | No

Default Motorcyclists: do you suit up?

I know there's already a thread on bikes, but hear me out.

I nearly died this morning. Things could have turned out very differently and I wouldn’t have had to sit through my HBA test. But I survived, and I think I even may have passed, so, so far, good morning all around.

I ride a Kawasaki ZZR. 250cc’s, 185kgs, twin exhaust, blah blah blah. I’m not a big fan of the blue, or the fairings and I’d like it to be bigger. But I love that piece of machinery like a goddamn brother.
    It saves me a ridiculous amount of money on fuel. A frustrating amount of time saved finding a park. I ride it almost every single day. (My boyfriend gets very jealous.)
    I’m a cautious rider, because that’s how I was taught. Be defensive on the road, was the message. Don’t expect anyone to see you, don’t think they respect you. You are always the smaller vehicle. Sure, sometimes I speed, hit corners to quick or should pay more attention. But I’m human, so I take basic precautions. I always have full gear on. Helmet. Gloves. Kevlar jeans. Jacket. Boots. My tire pressures and all else are checked regularly, I have a fuel tank full of petrol, my brakes work and the front lever was replaced last week.

Thank the Earth for all that, too, because when the asshole pulled out in front of me on the highway, if any of the things above had failed me I have no idea how things would have gone.
    I’m doing 100kms an hour, the speed limit, there is a car behind me, some few hundred metres away, and a few oncoming cars around the corner, also going 100km/h.
    A side road meets the highway, a large clear area with no sight problems. Apart from drivers, evidently.
    I see him, and wonder; has he seen me? There is no way he’s going to… he does. He swaggers onto the road in his Ford shitbox and sputters along in first gear. He looks all of twenty (probably more) metres away.
    Shit. I think to myself.
    Instinctively, I set up and squeeze. My right hand holding the brake like its dear and right toe pressing on the back brake urgently. I hit the clutch to and kick down a few gears.
    I honestly don’t know if I would have slowed down fast enough, stopped in time, to have avoided the back of his car. Maybe I would’ve. I don’t know. I felt like he was getting too close too quick so I let the front brake go and swerved around him, on his left and away from traffic. I shoot past the bastard like he’s standing still.

But it took a long time, for me, for this to happen. My head slowed down and abruptly everything else was going very, very, fast.
    I was going too quickly, and it became glaringly apparent that there was exceedingly little between me and the road.
    My Kevlar reinforced jeans suddenly seemed too light, too low slung and too loose. My jacket armour was suddenly very thin and frail. I couldn’t even remember why I’d put my helmet on.
    It wasn’t the car I was worried about. If I hit the road, I thought, I’m going to die.

I didn’t. Thankfully. He pulled out and sped up, I probably wouldn’t have actually hit him, I was going the speed limit, slow enough to react, I had gear on to protect myself from the worst of things if I had come off.
    But I think about what could have been. If he had pulled out slower, I had been speeding, if my brakes had failed, if my tires had been worn. If I hadn’t of been wearing my gear. It then becomes painfully clear that it was a near thing. It then becomes clear to me why my dad presses me with upkeep and checking tires and breaks and everything.

It then becomes clear to me that riding is a practice on the line of danger. In 08, according to the TAC, 1044 riders were seriously injured and 43 motorcyclists died on Victorian roads, 14% of the states road death. 44% of those deaths occurred on roads signed 100km/h or more. But only 24% of them involved another car. 3% of this states traffic is motorcycles and, looking around, it looks like a solid half of those ride without taking any precautions at all.

Someone once told me that there are two kinds of motorcyclists. Ones who’ve had accidents and expect another, and ones who haven’t and should expect one.
    So why is it, then, that last week a man died locally when he wasn’t wearing a helmet? Why, then, do I see motorcyclists riding without any gear? Too hot, too expensive and too time consuming. Are the excuses I hear from a few.
    Similar excuses, I imagine, from those who have gravel rash, broken bones and totalled bikes.

So, those with motorbikes. Do you suit up?
    Last edited by syberia; 23rd April 10 at 01:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Eat World
    I'm not crazy because I take the right pills, everyday.

Martial mediocrite Toby Christensen's Avatar

Yes | No

Oh Syberia!

It's so good you're SAFE.

(This is why I refuse lifts on motorbikes)
    "Kill him and take her as your prize. That's how it works, you know."

Poop Loops cutting through the social hypocrisy of reproduction.

Photobucket

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Toby Christensen
    Oh Syberia!

It's so good you're SAFE.

(This is why I refuse lifts on motorbikes)
    Thanks... I get back on the bike later.

Yes | No

"My boyfriend gets very jealous."

Thought you were a cock hating lesbo with negroidal tendencies? This is the thread I want to read about.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    MOM34 is easy to fist. 5 kids have come through that set of french dooors she calls a snatch.

Photobucket

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Mechanic
    "My boyfriend gets very jealous."

Thought you were a cock hating lesbo with negroidal tendencies? This is the thread I want to read about.
    Your concern is noted.

I don't not hate cocks, I assure you. Its just that this one came in a pakage deal with a good set of abs, a cute ass and a charming smile. I dont know how long it'll last, before i break it, but it's good value.

Yes | No

Remember now sybs, cocks are allot like mattresses, you rip the tag off and your expected to purchase and take it home. Either way you will foot the bill.
    MOM34 is easy to fist. 5 kids have come through that set of french dooors she calls a snatch.

Martial mediocrite Toby Christensen's Avatar

Yes | No

SoulMechanic, is the woman in your avatar real? Cos she's sexy enough to make my hemispheres solder together.
    "Kill him and take her as your prize. That's how it works, you know."

Poop Loops cutting through the social hypocrisy of reproduction.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Toby Christensen
    SoulMechanic, is the woman in your avatar real? Cos she's sexy enough to make my hemispheres solder together.
    I don't care what they say about the Tobz, he is tops in my book. She is real and for 24 bucks will give you this thing called the "Compton Waffle". Even if you are diabetic, you gonna dig her syrup.

not long for this world nihilist's Avatar

Yes | No

When someone pulls out in front of you , go to the centerline and wheelie past them.

Easy like a Sunday mornin' Frank White's Avatar

Yes | No

Here in California, helmets are mandatory. As a result, many folks wear fake helmets. Myself, I wear t-shirt in the summer if I'm skippin around town, leather in the winter or long rides. The "bikies" (that's what you call bikers, right?) wear full face helmets, but more for concealing identity than protection.