Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: "Affordable", mass production all electric car coming out soon - Nissan LEAF

Yes | No

Geekdom "Affordable", mass production all electric car coming out soon - Nissan LEAF

this car has been unveiled for a little while now, and will be available for sale towards the end of this year in japan, europe and america, then a bit later in aus.

here is a short summary:

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f48x9baSuF0

thoughts? would anyone here buy such a thing?

Yes | No

30 minute quickest charge? 8 hours!! 100 miles!? What a p.o.s!

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

Hmm..

The range and charge time would make it fine for weekday use on my daily commute. I'd want a conventional car with a tank full of gas for longer journeys, but that doesn't rule it out in principle.

I'd want to see a price comparison of a 100 miles of electricity from my home supply, vs 100 miles of fuel in a simillar sized conventional car, and total cost of ownership for maintenance, what usage I can expect from a second-hand one with a certain mileage etc.. before I got interested.

I'm also not interested in paying additional taxes in order for it to be made to appear cheaper via subsidy (or sanctions on conventional vehicles).
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

Leaf? Who's in charge of marketing over there? I don't wanna drive a LEAF! What if it wilts? Will it change colors with the seasons? Will it blow away? Sounds flimsy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce View Post
    We all have our respective crosses to bear.... We all have flaws and virtues, and frequently our virtues are bound up with our flaws. And those characteristics are all magnified when one takes charge of a quarrelsome Internet forum.
    for example....
    Quote Originally Posted by Yiktin Voxbane View Post
    It's the rough end of the pineapple for you Mon ami .

Yes | No

Sounds nice, but I worry about infrastructure for it - as is the case for all electric cars. Would they package in the "plug?" They should market the "quick charge" stations as drive-up restaurants, like Sonic. That way you can park, plug in your car, grab a bite to eat, and when you're done - so is your car.

Also, mobile phone controls sounds like a perfect way to mess with people who borrow your car.
    Last edited by Ajamil; 13th April 10 at 04:03 PM.

Yes | No

i understand that running costs are extremely low and repairs are very simple.

it loses efficiency at highway speeds however. it won't travel 100 miles at 60 miles an hour.

the plug will come with it of course, so charging up at home is no problem. but i doubt that quick charge stations will be common any time in the next few years.

i'd consider owning something like this, but keep a conventional car for the longer trips.

Yes | No

What does a full 'tank' cost at residential electricity prices though?
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Tormenter of tards. FickleFingerOfFate's Avatar
    If you can't laugh at yourself,
    Others will be happy to do it for you.

The two most abundant elements in the universe,

are Hydrogen, and Stupidity.

Yes | No

Well, from the Volt's wiki page, it says we're talking about roughly 25 kW hours per 100 miles. If the original all electric car got the same performance you'd spend about 2.50 on recharging for every 100 miles here.

A standard petrol engine that got 40 mpg would cost you about 10-15 to do the same distance, which represents a huge saving. If the maintenance/depreciation and insurance were the same as for the petrol engine, I'd save about 20 a week, so it depends what they are.
    Last edited by Cullion; 13th April 10 at 06:12 PM.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Tormenter of tards. FickleFingerOfFate's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    If the original all electric car ...

This original electric car?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_EV1

Or this one.

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/
    If you can't laugh at yourself,
    Others will be happy to do it for you.

The two most abundant elements in the universe,

are Hydrogen, and Stupidity.