Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blood Sausage. Black Pudding. Boudin Noir. Blutwurst.

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

Default Blood Sausage. Black Pudding. Boudin Noir. Blutwurst.

This thread is about the delights of blood sausage. I'm going to talk about the variants I've personally tried (from the British Isles), but this thread isn't just about those versions. It's a very widespread phenomenon, with a lot of variations to pick your favourite from, all around the globe.

Doug and I have both posted enthusiastically about British Isles 'black pudding' as a part of a nourishing cooked breakfast. Some North Americans here have been skeptical, some curious and willing to experiment.

Well, what is it ?

In the most common British Isles variety, Black pudding is boiled pig's blood in a length of intestine. (yes it's Klingon food. Shut up until you've tried it at least once, faggot).

In the UK our puddings are usually bound with cereal, or with suet or cubes of fat added. European puddings are lighter because they are often made with cream instead of cereals.

Now, that might sound off-putting if you haven't grown up with it. It's ok, I understand that. This is a picture of what it looks like uncooked:-

See? It's just a dark sausage

Beyond this basic description, the variety of different fillers and spices used is enormous, even within the UK. Oatmeal, suet, bits of potato or onion, lumps of delicious, delicious animal fat, herbs, garlic, red wine, stout.. All kinds of stuff finds it's way in.

Now, as Dougie will know, the best Black Pudding in the world to have with a British cooked breakfast comes from the North of England, from Pigs blood, oats, barley, onion, sage and thyme and is oven dried instead of boiled to concentrate the meaty flavour.

Cooked as an accompaniment with seared scallops, it looks like this:-

I'll let Dougie talk to you about the lesser celtic, but still worthy, versions of this English dish as they are made in Stornaway and Clonakilty. Later on we'll talk about France, Poland, Germany and other countries.
    Last edited by Cullion; 4th April 10 at 06:21 PM.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

tip top!

the texture is unlike anything else. if you're a little disturbed by the ingredients, try really hard to be objective about how it tastes. forget there is blood in it.

besides, we all eat animal products anyway. this is just another one.

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

Tell us all about the black puddings you can get down below.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by 1.34.214.245.2333-
    besides, we all eat animal products anyway. this is just another one.
    Uhm...

Anyway, you make a good case, and it sounds like something all omnivores should try.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    Tell us all about the black puddings you can get down below.
    i really doubt it's eaten as often here. but you can get it from quite a few butchers.

i've generally got it from the supermarket, you can buy it in any of them. i forget which brand it is.

the black pudding i've had is very rich, and both moist and crumbly at the same time. you can't eat a large amount of it.

Yes | No

It's almost unheard of here. I think I've had it once, and it's the sort of thing I will order if it's available. (I heart heart, plus kidneys, liver, and prety much all the guts) Sadly, my countrymen do not agree at all. Even my yuppy butcher usually only has liver.
    I'm here a week now... waiting for a mission... getting softer. Every minute I sit in front of this computer, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the gym, he gets stronger

Yes | No

I don't think I've ever seen it available anywhere.

I would certainly try it.

Is this currently considered a peasant food? Or is it kinda expensive?
    If your daughter isn't wearing her hijab, you can see it and slap her.

-Creativo

Yes | No

Cullion, if I make it to England, I want you to serve me (or treat me to) fine black pudding.

And, yes, I mean the food.
    "Even logical positivists are capable of love." - A.J. Ayer

Yes | No

have you tried it before? would you consider popping down to your local butcher for some?

Yes | No

My favorites were hearts and gizzards. I never had a taste for liver - too dry and grainy, and the idea of eating something that filtered poison...