Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fully Armored, Ready to Kill

Yes | No

How much does the torso armor weigh?

I ask because I know a few folks who work with mail and make byrnies and hauberks for reenactors. For them to make a fully functional mail shirt without sleeves is atleast six months workinng on the mail for about 4 hours a day. By the time their done it weighs depending on the size anywhere from 10 to 15 pounds.

Yes | No

100 hours is no joke.

My dad assembled an RC-10 for me as a child, and it took 25 hours. That seemed like forever.
    If your daughter isn't wearing her hijab, you can see it and slap her.

-Creativo

Master of Sock Puppets TheMightyMcClaw's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrsmann
    How much does the torso armor weigh?

I ask because I know a few folks who work with mail and make byrnies and hauberks for reenactors. For them to make a fully functional mail shirt without sleeves is atleast six months workinng on the mail for about 4 hours a day. By the time their done it weighs depending on the size anywhere from 10 to 15 pounds.
    The shirt is maybe 10-15 pounds, and it's probably on the light side for a chain shirt.

Science Fucker Photobucket WarPhalange's Avatar

Yes | No

I imagine you'd have a hard time walking to the bank and back while lugging around 25 pounds. But at least you wouldn't get mugged on your way there.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    The shirt is maybe 10-15 pounds, and it's probably on the light side for a chain shirt.
    Wow, thats actually heavier than I thought it'd be. Did you make it with all steel or did you throw an aluminum or other light metals?

Forgive me if you've already answered these in other threads. From your OP I'm assuming that you've posted pics of your armor in earlier stages.

Master of Sock Puppets TheMightyMcClaw's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrsmann
    Wow, thats actually heavier than I thought it'd be. Did you make it with all steel or did you throw an aluminum or other light metals?

Forgive me if you've already answered these in other threads. From your OP I'm assuming that you've posted pics of your armor in earlier stages.
    Nah, fuck aluminum. The rings are all made of 14 gauge galvanized steel, and the scales are a nickel plated steel.
    The nickel plated steel oxidizes like nobodies business, so I ended up with black smudges on my face and shoulders after I took the armor off. After working with the stuff, I look like I've been working in a coal mine.

Drinks Your Milkshake JohnnyCache's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    You know, that's a pretty damn good idea. I think this needs to happen. Probably in Ann Arbor.
    As for my next project, I'm planning on doing a suit of leather armor modeled after Fighter from the original Final Fantasy. Because I'd be working with an eight bit sprite, it gives me a lot of leeway with design.
    Some kind of goth ninja shit is in order, though. I've got some rough plans for a sort of necromancer costume, all black metal and leather and bones and such.
    for bonus points carry a messenger bag and wear a ballcap.