Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bay Area: Woman fired for Islamic Do Rag

Zendetta

Yes | No

Default Bay Area: Woman fired for Islamic Do Rag

Quote Originally Posted by Librul Meedya
    A muslim woman claims that she was fired from her job at the Hollister store in San Mateo for refusing to take off her Islamic head scarf.

The woman, who asked to be identified only with her first name, Hani, said her manager fired her Monday for not following the company's dress code, called the "look policy." She says her Hajib, or Islamic head scarf, was not permitted by the dress code.

"I was really surprised, especially in the Bay Area, where everyone is so receptive and kind, that someone would discriminate against a religious group," she said.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35573939

For starters, if she was working for Hollister then she is, without a doubt, a Immoral Westernized Whore. Her "Nice Muslim Girl" defense sure isn't fooling me!

But seriously folks, whaddya think? We don't know for sure what management thought, but I seriously doubt they fired her for "being Muslim".

Consider: If I was a rastafarian with long dredloks working for a company with a conservative dress code, its not unreasonable for them to ask me to cut the loks on my lunchbreak - if I was fired it would be for the hair, not the religion. I don't think that's "cool", but I believe that a private company has the right to set these kinds of policies.

Then again, I'm of the belief that Hooters should have the right to discriminate against ugly, flat-chested women.

To be honest, this seems to me to be a mild-but-telling example of what many people in the modern west criticize muslims for: wanting special exceptions made for them, then claiming religious discrimination when those special exceptions are not granted.

Whaddya think?

Science Fucker Photobucket WarPhalange's Avatar

Yes | No

I thought it was Hijab, not Hajib?

Zendetta

Yes | No

I think you are right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijab

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hajib

Unless she was wearing a government official on her head, in which case she should have definitely been fired.

Yes | No

Most places will make you read/sign stuff clearly stating the dress code. If it's not about uniform, then it may be something about length of hair or facial hair and certainly whether visible tattoos or piercings are allowed. I know I'm only allowed one piercing per ear and none on the face and no tattoos visible.

She's free to express herself, but not free to work somewhere if the two clash. Hell, what's next? She wants to work at Victoria's Secret? Good luck, Honey!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce View Post
    We all have our respective crosses to bear.... We all have flaws and virtues, and frequently our virtues are bound up with our flaws. And those characteristics are all magnified when one takes charge of a quarrelsome Internet forum.
    for example....
    Quote Originally Posted by Yiktin Voxbane View Post
    It's the rough end of the pineapple for you Mon ami .

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Zendetta
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35573939

But seriously folks, whaddya think? We don't know for sure what management thought, but I seriously doubt they fired her for "being Muslim".
    Are you seriously saying with a straight face that she would have been fired if she was some old eastern european lady wearing a scarf.

Also, I didn't catch her nationality, but the south asian population is exploding in the hollister area.
    I'm here a week now... waiting for a mission... getting softer. Every minute I sit in front of this computer, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the gym, he gets stronger

Zendetta

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy
    Are you seriously saying with a straight face that she would have been fired if she was some old eastern european lady wearing a scarf.

Also, I didn't catch her nationality, but the south asian population is exploding in the hollister area.
    Hollister, CA has lots of asians. "Hollister" the clothing brand sells clothes for young hot chicks (but as a crusty old geezer you aren't expected to know that). This store is in San Mateo.

You imaginary Helga person would have been discriminated against via age-ism and sexism.

But if she got hired I doubt she would have claimed a cultural, let alone religious, exemption from the rules of the company that she wants to pay her wage. She'd either take it off or work elsewhere.

This chick wasn't fired for wearing the do rag, she was fired for refusing to not wear it.

Are you saying (with a straight-or-gay face) that she was discriminated against for her religion, and not for violating the company's almost certainly ridiculous "Look Policy"?
    Last edited by Zendetta; 25th February 10 at 02:53 PM.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Zendetta
    Are you saying (with a straight-or-gay face) that she was discriminated against for her religion, and not for violating the company's almost certainly ridiculous "Look Policy"?
    I am saying with a (thursday=necrophiliac) face that I absolutely guarantee you that the company had no written policy forbidding head coverings. I'm quite sure that their dress code was intentionally fuzzy and said something like 'workplace appropriate.' and the only reason the head covering bothered anyone was the islamic connotation.

Also, the law is quite clear. We're not talking about a safety or id issue. The company is going to lose.

Now you tell me with a straight face that you wouldn't be on the opposite side if this was about her wearing a darwin fish pendant.
    Last edited by HappyOldGuy; 25th February 10 at 02:02 PM.
    I'm here a week now... waiting for a mission... getting softer. Every minute I sit in front of this computer, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the gym, he gets stronger

fuck you math class MEGA JESUS-SAMA's Avatar

Yes | No

Hollister is run by the same company as Abercrombie, and they're actually the same clothes. The difference is that Abercrombie has sexually charged advertisements and store displays while Hollister is wholesomely WASP-mom friendly. Both companies actually have a pretty strict look policy; aside from wearing their clothes and scents on the job they also require you to wear your hair a certain way and look vaguely like the homos you see in their ads.

Terrorist head scarves do not jive with Surfer-guidoism.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by MEGA JESUS-SAMA
    Hollister is run by the same company as Abercrombie, and they're actually the same clothes. The difference is that Abercrombie has sexually charged advertisements and store displays while Hollister is wholesomely WASP-mom friendly. Both companies actually have a pretty strict look policy; aside from wearing their clothes and scents on the job they also require you to wear your hair a certain way and look vaguely like the homos you see in their ads.

Terrorist head scarves do not jive with Surfer-guidoism.
    I actually looked up their look policy. It's actually very short and fuzzy. You don't have to wear their clothes. You are supposed to look classically californian. The girl was sticking to the company color palette with her scarves, and her immediate supervisors had no issue with the scarf.

Remember, the law says that the company needs to make a reasonable accomodation. Just like they can't not hire a black girl for not looking like a surfer. The company is wrong, and will lose.
    Last edited by HappyOldGuy; 25th February 10 at 02:23 PM.

fuck you math class MEGA JESUS-SAMA's Avatar

Yes | No

That's not what I've heard from my sources on the inside, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's regional variations or perhaps an employee conspiracy to convince people to stop buying their clothes.