Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Passed over for Promotion - Suggestion Box Open

Yes | No

Default Passed over for Promotion - Suggestion Box Open

Hi Guyz,

This is not a "how do go postal?" thread.

I work in an NGO type of office, and recently there was lots of buzz about major expansions, with new directorships coming up. Directors make $$$$, so who wouldn't want that.

As a 'white person' I am not eligable for promotion. (discrimination for ethnic minorities is allowed under the Canadian Charter of Rights). No crying or offence taken on my side.

I was told this long ago, and now the reality of it is finally sinking in.

But at the same time it might be good to have something to look forward to. A goal, a possibility. How many "I worked in the mail room and become CEO from hard work" kind of stories can one take when your story is, "they hired me cause they needed a white man to do the work, but also to pretend you don't exist".

The corner office, parking spot, a higher salary scale, company perks, congratulations on a life long service to the oppressed, are tangible dreams, even if you realize you can't be the face of the organization. NGO

Any of you come to the realization that your current or former job (once so perfect) is ultimatly going nowhere, and have to take steps to ensure you have a future?

What did you do?

KO'd
    Last edited by KO'd N DOA; 18th February 10 at 04:21 PM.

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

My first thought is a hard, honest question. I hope you understand me from my posts to be a pretty right-wing kind of guy who doubts and publicly questions political correctness fairly frequently.

The unpleasant question is this: Hand on heart, is there anything about your work that feels like a 'mismatch' which may explain your lack of promotion aside from any kind of ethnic favouritism ?

I'm not asking this to be a dick.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Registered Member Supporting Member bob's Avatar

Yes | No

I went blackface.

Srsly, why the fuck would you even work there?

hey, how's yer margarita? Angry Mandrill's Avatar

Yes | No

put into it what you're getting out of it. why bust your ass when there's no possibility of reward? be the laziest, slackest muthafucka in the pile. no overtime, no above and beyond, no nuthin. this approach has made me love my job.
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy peacock
    Not drunk is he who from the floor can rise alone and still drink more; but drunk is he who prostrate lies without the power to drink or rise.

Yes | No

I respect that sometimes there is satisfaction in working somewhere with a mission you believe in that goes beyond money. I can't value those things for you.

If I was stuck doing stuff I didn't enjoy with no chance of improvement, I would leave.

If I was just a little ticked about the money and feeling unnapreciated, I would talk to my boss and give it a chance to fade over time. If it kept bothering me more as time went on, I would leave.
    I'm here a week now... waiting for a mission... getting softer. Every minute I sit in front of this computer, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the gym, he gets stronger

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

If koa was told that word for word, in yurop he'd have an unquestionable legal case. Our 'politically correct' public bodies are allowed to say things like 'we want ethnic minorities to apply for this job because we want them to be fully represented here' in job adverts, and offer unofficial preference in advancement, but if somebody bluntly says 'we're denying you a promotion because u r white' then they've broken the law.

I'll take koa's story at face value for now, but I'm surprised things have gotten so corrupt in Canada.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Registered Member Supporting Member bob's Avatar

Yes | No

It's not even about the money. Why work somewhere where your contribution is valued so lowly that you've been told you're no chance of going anywhere? Even if you had no aspirations to do the top job...

Will she be set upon you? jubei33's Avatar

Yes | No

time for the 'ass cake':

Fill an ass shaped cake with balloons of hydrogen sulfide and fed ex it to management on an appropriate holiday. Write something cryptic on the cake like: "whatsamatter? Afraid I'll make a stink?"

profit
    Where have all the hobos gone to?

RESOLVE IS A DISHONEST PERSON.

http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

Yes | No

I find it really hard to believe that such discrimination WOULDN'T be illegal in Canada. If they actually said to you "Sorry, you're white, no promotions for you" and gave no other reason, go get a free consultation with a lawyer.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    My first thought is a hard, honest question. I hope you understand me from my posts to be a pretty right-wing kind of guy who doubts and publicly questions political correctness fairly frequently.

The unpleasant question is this: Hand on heart, is there anything about your work that feels like a 'mismatch' which may explain your lack of promotion aside from any kind of ethnic favouritism ?

I'm not asking this to be a dick.
    When you chose to work for an NGO, or to chose a carear path that leads either to an NGO or government service, the goal ostensibly is to do your part to contribute to society and make the world a better place.

Maybe its sociocide's divergent views on every issue that I have been exposed to, perhaps the fact that now married I have to chose between what is in the best interest of my own whims and mysteries, and what will best provide for the family unit, house, and eventually retirement.

In either case, I am left after this pass over with thinking how many of these can I stomach and still wish to work here, and how many I can afford.

I work for an ethnically based NGO, so being the White Man (one of many including lawyers accountants, engineers, lobbyists ect.) with a skill set that is absent in the NGO ethnic base is why I am there in the first place.

12+ years into this path, however, the 'noble' idea of lending my remaining lifes energies to aiding 'the oppressed', is starting to lose its pius santimonious nature and what drove me before - the nice butterflies and rose coloured glasses - are not as satisfying anymore.