Thread: Public Enemies : Now on DVD

Yes | No

Default Public Enemies : Now on DVD

I was surprised to see that there was no review for this movie. I couldn't find one anyways..so I decided to do quick one since some people may be contemplating purchasing this movie as a Christmas gift for the Gangster -Film fan on their shopping list.
    Directed by Michael Mann and starring Johnny Depp and Chrisitan Bale - Public Enemies is a very historically inaccurate depiction of the fast, hard life of renowned bank robber and the first man to be declared 'Public Enemy Number One' - John Dillinger.
    Mann depicts Dillinger as suave, intelligent and neccessarily vicous if the circumstances call for it. And while I did enjoy the movie very much ( I actually purchased it as soon as it went on sale for less than $20.00).Mann definitely took some liberties with the life of Dillinger to make him seem like a sentimental , robin hood - like figure, which he defintiely was not.
    While it is true that he did have a thing for a woman named Billy Frechette, she was one of a few and when he was shot dead outside the movie theatre in Chicago, the picture inside his pocketwatch case was of Polly Hamilton - a friend of Ana, the woman who ultimately set him up and collected the $5,000 reward for doing so- and one of his other 'love interests'.Hamilton was also there the night he was shot, but it is unknown whether she knew Ana had betrayed him.
    Ana Sage is shown to be almost blackmailed into setting Dillinger up in the film, threatened with deportation back to Romania.But the truth is she wanted the reward money and hoped that her co operation would keep her in the USA.In actual fact, she was deported anyways.
    Another major fiction in the film is the way that Dillinger's connection to Baby Face Nelson is protrayed. While it is true the two men worked together and had an uneasy truce (Dillinger didn't like Nelson's psychopathic behavior and was afraid he could get them all killed) the shotout at the Little Bohemia Lodge in Wisconsin is one of the best parts of the film, but Nelson was not killed that evening. In fact, Nelson was not even in the lodge with the others, but arrived after the agents had just begun trying to apprehend the Dillinger gang. He did kill and FBI agent and a local sheriff that night and the FBI did indeed kill a couple of innocent people who failed to stop their car when ordered - this is in the film as well. Nelson himself was killed some time after the messy incidnet at the lodge in Wisconsin.

I am a big fan of these types of movies..but , much like The Untouchables, this one is rife with historical inaccuracies. I am not saying that this ruins the movie, but people should know this going in. Mann takes a lot of liberties with the characters and the timeline in order to make an enjoyable film.
    Some people might find the pacing a bit slow..there are times when you feel that things are dragging a bit, but that is a matter of individual taste.
    Depp, as always takes pains to give as accurate a depiction as possible of one of history's most celebrated outlaws. He is great in the film and I encourage people to take a look at the video of the real-life press conference that took place when Dillinger was captured and returned to Indiana where he was famously photographed with his arm around one of the prosecuting attorneys (who, incidentally, lost his jop later that year for being too chummy with Dillinger in front of the press)and compare it to the scene in the film. Very well-done,Depp does a tremendous job in Public Enemies.
    Chrisitan Bale plays the role of Melvin Purvis - one of the agents in charge of capturing Dillinger. I have to say that his acting is a little less than convincing.I can't really put my finger on why, but I just thought he looked out of place in a movie that is set in this era. Although the scene where he carries Billie Frechette out of the interrogation room down the hall to the ladies' room is very touching. Oh, by the way, the FBI denies ever physically assaulting Billie, but its not like they would admit it, now would they? I tend to think they probably did under Hoover, who was desperate to round up all the notorious gangsters.
    Overall 7.5 out of 10 . Not one to miss, but not one to pay $30.00 for a copy of either.
    Last edited by OZZ; 14th December 09 at 01:39 AM.

Yes | No

My brother said it sucked. I'm not watching.
    DRUGS ARE FOR LOSERS

Yes | No

I've been to Little Bohemia lodge dozens of time. They left some of the broken windows in their respective panes from the bullet holes...so they say.

Pretty cool if it's true.

Science Fucker Photobucket WarPhalange's Avatar

Yes | No

MOAR LIEK PUBIC ENAMIES LOL AMIRITE???

Yes | No

So close.

Pubic Enemas.

Science Fucker Photobucket WarPhalange's Avatar

Yes | No

Public Enema Number One?

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZDq2mmFgZE

CoffeeFan

Yes | No

I rented it a few days ago. OZZ is right, this film has a lot historical fiction in it, which doesn't make it a bad film just a misleading one.

Pros:
    -Johnny Depp performance is great as always.
    -The visuals, sets, and props of the era are well done
    -Don Frye is this movie, which is always a pro
    -Certain scenes are very well done.

Cons:
    -Christian Bale is just terrible. He failed miserably at giving his character any depth or portraying emotion.
    -The pacing in this movie is far too slow IMO
    -Many characters and plot points are not explained or given any development. It didn't help generate any feelings about a person's death when you don't know the character's name.

I say rent it first, 6/10
    Last edited by CoffeeFan; 14th December 09 at 12:30 PM.