Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 78

Thread: my theory on fashion

  1. #1
    Distilled Excellence danno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6,406


    Yes | No

    1 my theory on fashion

    this is possibly a load of shit, but here it goes.

    fashion is really about emulation. by wearing clothes similar to someone you admire, you're really trying to take on their visual attributes, in the hope that others will associate you with the person you dress like.

    basically, if you can look like someone who is accomplished/important/whatever, people will treat you like you are accomplished/etc.

    exhibit a:

    billy blanks.


    he wears hand wraps because fighters wear hand wraps. the other people in his videos also wear hand wraps because they're emulating the appearance of fighters. firstly they want others to see them as people who are accomplished in combat, secondly the act of wearing them makes them feel like they are fighters. this was the real selling point of tae-bo.

    more examples later.

  2. #2
    how do robot Supporting Member Arhetton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,057


    Yes | No

    Default

    hmmm rather than just trying to 'fit in', I think fashion also serves the purpose of 'standing out' or trying to make yourself look as good as possible.

    Generally more attractive people receive preferential treatment across a swathe of human activity and the way you dress can make you look more or less attractive.

    I agree that you can associate yourself with a certain group or individual by dressing similarly to them.

    The suit is a classic example.

    Certain items look a bit too 'try hard' in my opinion.

    I was out at a club the other night and there was a goth/emo (who knows) wearing a partially transparent cape. It was kind of an indie venue, so I dropped a 'you are the hero that gotham deserves' at the bar and got a laugh out of it.

  3. #3
    Distilled Excellence danno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6,406


    Yes | No

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arhetton
    hmmm rather than just trying to 'fit in', I think fashion also serves the purpose of 'standing out' or trying to make yourself look as good as possible.
    by emulating someone else you could either stand out or fit in.

    for example, when i was in high school i grew longish hair because i was listening to a lot of grunge, jimi hendrix, black sabbath, led zeppelin and so on. i was told to cut my hair (and to stop listening to that music) by my peers almost daily.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arhetton
    Generally more attractive people receive preferential treatment across a swathe of human activity and the way you dress can make you look more or less attractive.
    yes, there is more to fashion than my theory covers of course. makeup and clothing can make you look stronger or more feminine. you can visually tweak those things that we find instinctually attractive. but that's different.

    here's another example of what i'm talking about: one could also be considered sexy because they dress like a cowboy - but only if the people around them hold cowboys in high esteem.

    the person dressing as a cowboy doesn't need to do anything that cowboys traditionally do. but if they appear superficially like a cowboy, others will associate the attributes of your stereotypical cowboy with them.

  4. #4
    Harpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    21,306


    Yes | No

    Default

    danno - how does your theory incorporate people who do not view external attributes (like dress, makeup and accessories) as important or a signifier of one's affiliation (or as you say, emulating a role model)?

  5. #5
    Distilled Excellence danno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6,406


    Yes | No

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lily
    danno - how does your theory incorporate people who do not view external attributes (like dress, makeup and accessories) as important or a signifier of one's affiliation (or as you say, emulating a role model)?
    i'd like to see an example of this. got any pics of people you might consider like that?

    i used to think that i didn't. it was only after some self examination that i could admit to myself that i was growing long hair because i was in fact emulating someone i admired. otherwise i pay very little attention to fashion.

    which was a bit frustrating when i was doing some illustration recently for a fashion store. i was clueless.

  6. #6
    Harpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    21,306


    Yes | No

    Default

    Illustrations for fashion stores? Wow, sounds like you're doing well.

    i used to think that i didn't.
    I was going to say that I don't care about fashion.

    it was only after some self examination that i could admit to myself that i was growing long hair because i was in fact emulating someone i admired. otherwise i pay very little attention to fashion.
    But maybe I need to think about it a little harder.

    It's a good theory in general but I think it might apply more strongly to the 10-24 age group.

  7. #7
    Catnip fiend. Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,485


    Yes | No

    Default

    I just try to look good like Damon. Saves me money on pants, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    Steve wasn't in CTC but he's one of us in spirit. I can't explain it.
    <3

    SHARK FARTS!

  8. #8
    Distilled Excellence danno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6,406


    Yes | No

    Default

    trust me, i'm not getting paid what i should for these drawings. they're getting an absolute bargain.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lily
    But maybe I need to think about it a little harder.
    you might be a little like me.

    i'll hazard a guess - at work, instead of copying any individual, you're just wearing what is accepted by those around you as sensible, what a professional woman is supposed to wear. you don't necessarily follow current trends, but you need to communicate to others you work with that you know what you're doing.

    there are always the standard things, like they assume that if you're neat and tidy on the outside, you're neat and tidy on the inside. regardless of fashion at the time, this still applies.

    but to some degree, you need to look at others who are considered capable in your work and imitate them visually.

  9. #9
    Harpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    21,306


    Yes | No

    Default

    You're correct danno. I definitely know how to blend into any environment and use clothing and other apparel to do so. Your theory works.

    Why the h are you doing anything at a bargain price in Sydney? Who is negotiating your contracts danno, don't undersell yourself!

  10. #10
    Distilled Excellence danno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6,406


    Yes | No

    Default

    it's just how things are going with my current job, the guy i work with generally just does web design and applications. we haven't done an illustration job like this one before, so it's kind of experimental. now we know the time and everything that is involved, so next time we're going to charge them the right amount.

    been working for peanuts lately...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
◮ Top