Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Middle-eastern Food

Stand out of my kennel Aphid Jones's Avatar

Yes | No

Default Middle-eastern Food

Lately I have been consuming large amounts of north african (Tunisia, Egypt, Morocco specifically) and levantine food. Share any recipes for middle-eastern food that you enjoy.

And if you give something hummus-related, make sure it's not plain hummus.

I've posted my particular Egyptian koshari recipe a few times already.

I'll give my Harissa recipe:

> 8 oz dried red chiles, the best you can find

> 1 tbs caraway seeds

> 1 tbs black peppercorn

> 2 tsp salt

> 2 tsp coriander seed

> 3 garlic cloves, peeled

> olive oil

> salt

> A large mortar and pestle/grinding stone is a must. A food processor or blender chops and cuts, but doesn't press or smash.

Place chile peppers in a large bowl, cover with warm water to 1/2 inch above peppers. Add 1/2 cup olive oil. After 2 hours, transfer bowl to refrigerator and soak overnight. Remove from refrigerator and carefully pour off liquid (do not strain). Coarsely chop the chile peppers (or use cooking scissors if you want to make it easy)

---
    Toast peppercorns, coriander and caraway seeds over high heat in the pan of your choice for 4 minutes or until smoking/fragrant. Transfer immediately to mortar and finely grind. Add 1/4th cup olive oil and garlic, continue to grind until you have a fine paste. Mix in salt. Remove from mortar and pestle and set aside in a bowl.

In batches of 4 parts chiles to 1 part spice paste, grind the chiles into your spice paste mixture in the mortar, adding more olive oil until you end up with a good paste in each batch.

Will taste best after a few days have passed, as the olive oil needs to infuse with the flavors of the chiles and spices. You will recieve a product far better than the storebought kind.

This stuff lasts for a very long time refrigerated, supposedly longer if you cover it with a layer of olive oil after use.
    Last edited by Aphid Jones; 1st September 09 at 04:32 AM.
    When Sociocide dies, who gets The ?

Registered Member Supporting Member bob's Avatar

Yes | No

^^ freedom hater.

Zendetta

Yes | No

I had a whup-ass lamb musaka on my birthday. With a hookah. Apricot tobacco.

Oh Yeah.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by bornsceptic
    ^^ freedom hater.
    I worked with a guard once who refused to buy a kebab with me cos terrorists.

Yes | No

Anyone else here like baklava?

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by danno
    Anyone else here like back lovin'?
    You're on your own.

Yes | No

Ahe.

Ahehehehehhehe

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

I've had a couple of really outstanding and inexpensive meals in cous cous restaurants in France, and I keep trying to replicate the food at home.

I'm not satisfied with the Chicken Tagine yet.

I copied this Moroccan meatball recipe off a british TV cookery show that was good:

http://www.hairybikers.com/index.php...&id=54&back=90
    Last edited by Cullion; 2nd September 09 at 01:21 PM.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Stand out of my kennel Aphid Jones's Avatar

Yes | No

Do you do your Tagine with half a bowl of cous cous and half a bowl of the sauce/meat? They Key with Tagine, I've found, is that you can't neglect seasoning and preparing the cous cous half as if it were a stand-alone dish.
    When Sociocide dies, who gets The ?

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

I treat the cous cous as a simple accompaniment and it seems ok. I'm not satisfied with the sauce though.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.