Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Organic Food: What A Load of Over-Hyped Rubbish

Hein vom Richterbach adored! Photobucket Truculent Sheep's Avatar

Yes | No

Default Organic Food: What A Load of Over-Hyped Rubbish

An interesting article on what turns out to be just another outlet for conspicuous consumption:

http://www.spiked-online.com/index.p.../article/7222/

The irrational, seemingly instinctive desire to get close to ‘the source’ has been a recurring theme of the organic movement from its inception in the 1920s. The rise of the pro-organic lobby in the early twentieth century was a reaction against industrial society, led by precisely the kind of people - aristocrats, vicars and so on - who found their positions of authority and respect undermined by the modern world. No wonder Prince Charles and Lord Melchett are such fans of organic food; they are the heirs to Lady Eve Balfour, the founder of the Soil Association. The fact that these aristocratic, anti-modern views have now become quite mainstream is a symptom of the collapse of belief in both capitalist society (amongst the ruling classes) and in any progressive alternative (amongst the working classes). The end result is that the middle classes - the dregs of political life - now have a disproportionately influential role in Britain, which means that their fads and outlook can dominate public debate.

Acupuncturist/BSN/AA-S Quikfeet509's Avatar

Yes | No

Wow, I thought my desire to eat organic was an attempt to eat locally, avoid carcinogenic pesticides / herbacides / fungacides, and possibly get more phytonutrients from my food.

Glad someone else is around to explain it to me.

Fail. 2/10.

Yes | No

Charles eats organic food because he's fucking royalty and doesn't have to worry about money when he eats; he gets the good shit.

Besides; organic food tastes better. At least, the stuff I get from the ol' farmer's markets sure does.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Yes | No

organic food can have some advantages, fewer pesticides are not one of them. often much more natural poison must be used and results in more toxins in the food you eat. and yes, it is possible to create something in a lab that is safer then anything in nature.

Hein vom Richterbach adored! Photobucket Truculent Sheep's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Franco1981
    Wow, I thought my desire to eat organic was an attempt to eat locally, avoid carcinogenic pesticides / herbacides / fungacides, and possibly get more phytonutrients from my food.
    Well, you're certainly benefiting from the inflated sense of smugness:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8174482.stm

Organic food is no healthier than ordinary food, a large independent review has concluded.

There is little difference in nutritional value and no evidence of any extra health benefits from eating organic produce, UK researchers found.

The Food Standards Agency, which commissioned the report, said the findings would help people make an "informed choice".

But the Soil Association criticised the study and called for better research.

Researchers from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine looked at all the evidence on nutrition and health benefits from the past 50 years.

Among the 55 of 162 studies that were included in the final analysis, there were a small number of differences in nutrition between organic and conventionally produced food but not large enough to be of any public health relevance, said study leader Dr Alan Dangour.

Overall the report, which is published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, found no differences in most nutrients in organically or conventionally grown crops, including in vitamin C, calcium, and iron.

Yes | No

My wife has been almost completely suckered in by the whole organic thing..
    I don't even bother trying to argue with her about it anymore. But I have to admit, I have found some real differences between regular and organic foodstuffs in some instances. Flavor, especially in the case of meats ..seems to be different and better.
    But I find some of the shit absolutely laughable..like 'organic honey' wtf? The designation 'organic' has really become a political one ultimately signifying very little to do with actual food quality and more to do with the licencing fees paid by farmers or food distributors.
    I would hope that anything I get that is 'organic' may at least have less pesticide residue..but I realize that its a crap shoot at best.

Yes | No

I eat local/organic when I can, usually just fruits, veggies and meats and whatnot. Even if it isn't extremely better for me [hey, you wouldn't want to marginally better is still better] it tastes better and looks better. To me organic vs not is like battery vs free range eggs. Various people come out with studies on either side but in the end free range tastes better and is probably better for you.

What people should really be doing is eating local. Buy from farmer's markets, go right to the source. Fuck paying some multisquillion dollar chain that goes around putting displacing local businesses, and fuck paying them too much for only half-decent produce.
    Last edited by socratic; 4th August 09 at 09:47 PM.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Science Fucker Photobucket WarPhalange's Avatar

Yes | No

The "organic" movement has dick to do with some conspiracy, losing faith in capitalism, or royal fucktards.

It's due to the general public being ignorant globs of shit when it comes to science.

"OH [email protected] CHEMICALS!!"

"OH ORGANIC!! KTHNXBYE IT MUST BE GOOD CUZ ITS ORGANICK! NEVERMIND THE FACT THAT SNAKE VENOM IS ORGANIC!"

Martial mediocrite Toby Christensen's Avatar

Yes | No

As a person who works in a market garden with his friend the mattock:

- I am proud of my work
    - I don't enjoy "busywork" and objected to the term "Mandala" with reference to the patchwork pattern I was forced to build.
    - I'm not an outside man, but I LIKE the garden. It takes a lot for me to like an outside space and very little for me to pickaxe you in a frustrated rage.
    - Teaching people to farm can teach them to EAT.

- It's great practise to help for my dreamhome with a big bloody garden and library.

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" Cicero.
    "Kill him and take her as your prize. That's how it works, you know."

Poop Loops cutting through the social hypocrisy of reproduction.

Registered Member staff EuropIan's Avatar

Yes | No

Didn't we have this discussion already?
    You are Ian's plaything, responding to his touch with shrieks of orgasmic delight. No woman in the history of the world is having better sex than sex you are having with Ian... in my head.