Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kristen Wentrceck

fuck you math class MEGA JESUS-SAMA's Avatar

Yes | No

Default Kristen Wentrceck

What’s the hardest thing to design?

Clothing is the most difficult thing of all. There’s too many variables. There’s grading. Holy shit. People say “Why don’t you make it in this size?” You can’t just put it in a machine and pop it out fast and get something of the same quality and feeling. You a lot to factor in.

If I make this in two new sizes, how much less or more fabric is this going to use each? Can this print be shrunken down if there’s a print? Do I need to order longer zippers? How will this affect the pocket placements? Will a person of this size be able to use the pockets the same way?

All this stuff. And it’s funny too because I think a lot of people shit on clothing design. But EVERYBODY wears clothes. It’s something you can’t overlook.

And the most difficult thing to hear, especially with clothing is “That’s overpriced.”

I don’t know how $4.00 shirts exist. The idea of a $4.00 shirt blows my mind.

Even without knowing anything you can think about it logically and come to understand that a price can be too low.

Even an American Apparel t-shirt, people will say “That’s too expensive.”

Well, not really. I mean, there are materials. There are people with actual hands make them and cut the fabric. There’s their health care. And shipping costs. And the wages of people in the actual stores working. And then rent of the building. You have to know when you’re buying a t-shirt at Wal-Mart and it’s $4.00, someone’s getting screwed. You’re not getting ripped off, someone’s getting screwed.

The difficult part is that I grew up a Wal-Mart kid. I’m a consumer too, low prices are great. But as a designer you get a peek behind the curtain and learn what sacrifices are made to get a price that low.
    http://keepsworkshop.org/post/584679...isten-wentrcek

Yes | No

BOO HOO! THEY WON'T PAY ME ENOUGH FOR MY "ART"!
    "NoB's acquisitiveness is Zanshin like" - Dougie

"USA is 50 separate countries" - doof (tadpole farmer extraordinaire)

"I actually believe, nay, know that NoB's ass and innards are spotless." - Lilith

Ability to feel pain Dark Helmet's Avatar

Yes | No

I think you didn;t read further in the article, Nob?

I recently bought what I thought were great pajamas for 9 bucks and for them to fall aprt on me after 2 months. You are not getting your moneys worth with cheap stuff. \I still have jeans I bought last uyear and I wear them often.

And she's probably right. The day of cheap clothes is over. But what the hell are people bitching about. I got leather shoes from Romania and a winter longshoreman coat for a 180 bucks that's great.
    Last edited by Dark Helmet; 5th June 11 at 12:33 AM.
    "But for me the fact that I had danger on my shoulder made it much more exciting. It’s rather like if you flirt with a girl, it’s more exciting than paying for a prostitute, because while you know you’re gonna get it, the other one you don’t.”"

Yes | No

Price value isn't really what she's talking about. If that's the case then while a $1,000 suit may pay for itself by virtue of never needing a replacement, until your fat ass grows out of it, a $50 t-shirt will probably not outlast the collective lifespan of ten $5 t-shirts. And making a $50 t-shirt is no feat at all.

About a year ago I was in a Walmart and I saw $10 button front shirts. Not on sale, or discounted, they just cost $10. Let me tell you, it takes several hours of labor for me to make a shirt from start to finish, not counting the cost of designing it, the cost of the fabric, the cost of shipping the the fabric and the buttons and the finished shirt from factories to distribution centers to stores, or any of the other minutiae that go into selling a garment. In order for that shirt to cost $10 someone had to get bent over the table raw; knowing Walmart it was probably the owners of the textile and garment production factories, who are forced to pass the horrible rape down to their employees.

I don't know if the era of cheap clothing is necessarily over, but it inevitably will be. And it's going to be a good thing, because we need to get used to spending more money on things, owning less of them, and repairing them so that we can own them for a longer amount of time. As China and India become more affluent, and then as the countries that are succeeding them as centers of exploitable labor become more affluent, then these prices are going to become impossible. On the other hand, the newly wealthy populations of the rest of the world are going to create a demand that'll allow people producing higher quality things - clothing or otherwise - to operate on thinner margins and offer lower prices. This can only be good, in the long run.

your avatar gives me epiliptic fits Adouglasmhor's Avatar

Yes | No

It's not just screwing labour it's also mechanisation (batch cutting, auto stitching etc.) but it's mostly screwing labour.

And Nob, the invisible K in front of your username is really obvious.
    Don’t say, “It’s been a good day” till sundown.
    Don’t say, “She’s a good wife” till she’s buried.
    Don’t say, “It’s a good sword” till you’ve tested it.
    Don’t say, “She’s a good girl” till she’s married off.
    Don’t say, “The ice is safe” till you’ve crossed it.
    Don’t say, “The beer is good” till you’ve drunk the last of it.

From Hávamál, a Norse poem

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

I would not bet on clothing becoming more expensive to manufacture en masse in coming decades.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

I only suspect that the cost of labor will increase significantly. This applies to everything made overseas.

I don't know what will happen with the cost of first world labor.

Yes | No

Clothing becoming allot more expensive across the board is a pipe dream of designers.

Even if it happened in the short term someone would come along to undercut everyone else and be the value line.

in the eighties and nineties I bet no one thought cars would come down in price, then fucking kia / hyundai shows up with cheap rides with long warranties.
    "NoB's acquisitiveness is Zanshin like" - Dougie

"USA is 50 separate countries" - doof (tadpole farmer extraordinaire)

"I actually believe, nay, know that NoB's ass and innards are spotless." - Lilith

Yes | No

Are you stupid?

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post
    I would not bet on clothing becoming more expensive to manufacture en masse in coming decades.
    Agreed. We will just see the centers of cheap labor move a bit.

Eventually back to the states if we keep gutting our safety net.
    I'm here a week now... waiting for a mission... getting softer. Every minute I sit in front of this computer, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the gym, he gets stronger