Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friday night feature with Stick & his girl... And Plasma: Harry Potter & the HBP

Yes | No

Movies Friday night feature with Stick & his girl... And Plasma: Harry Potter & the HBP

In about 10 minutes the lights will dim and the three of us will sit in happy judgment of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Here's hoping for good things.

Edit: Curse you, thread title character limit!
    Last edited by Stick; 18th July 09 at 10:28 AM.

Yes | No

I is here. Trailers are starting. Shhhhhhhh

Yes | No

Seeing it in 3-D, by chance? I'll be hittin' it up as soon as it does here..... In IMAX!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    Steve wasn't in CTC but he's one of us in spirit. I can't explain it.
    <3

SHARK FARTS!

Registered Member staff EuropIan's Avatar

Yes | No

TURN OFF YOUR CELL PHONE, YOU FUCKERS!
    You are Ian's plaything, responding to his touch with shrieks of orgasmic delight. No woman in the history of the world is having better sex than sex you are having with Ian... in my head.

Yes | No

No worries we did, too bad retarded guy who answered his phone and had a conversation on it didn't. Anyway:

Spoiler:
    As a movie is was awesome, accurate enough to the book while be an entity of its own. Now I was disappointed that the epic Snape Battle and Monologue wasn't so epic. The death scene was fine, but I thought the best part was Harry goating Snape at the end up the book, and provoking him into a frenzy by calling him a coward. Its too bad cause Rickman had the acting skills to annihilate that scene.

Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Registered Member staff EuropIan's Avatar

Yes | No

I love Californication and all the scuffles He gets into.
    You are Ian's plaything, responding to his touch with shrieks of orgasmic delight. No woman in the history of the world is having better sex than sex you are having with Ian... in my head.

Unintentional Rayp'ist Spade: The Real Snake's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    Seeing it in 3-D, by chance? I'll be hittin' it up as soon as it does here..... In IMAX!
    That doesn't come out until the 29th of July.

We saw Order of the Phoenix in IMAX 3-D (well only the Ministry of Magic part was in 3-D) and it was awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feryk
    What Snake Said
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily
    Snake is also correct about EVERYTHING.

Yes | No

Yeah, Plasma ?d I did the true and good thing and silenced our phones, but the guy in the next aisle over did not. He answered his phone about 15 minutes into the movie and spoke loud as you please.

"I'm in theater one... Watching the movie... In theater one... Where are you? ... I'm in the theater right now... Watching the movie."

It was around this point I was seriously starting to get pissed off. Then he finally turned off his phone, got up and lurched to the exitm the guy was clearly disabled in some way. Plasma wasn't joking about the guy being retarded, so I let it go and the guy didn't cause any more distractions.

Spoiler:
    Many, many changes were made in order to fit The Half-Blood Prince into 2.5 hours and the continuity created by the first five films. As I said to Plasma during a new scene in which death eaters destroy the Weasely home, "adaptation is adapted!"

That said, the film more or less hit on the books major points: wizard/teen romance, Voldemort's early life, and betrayal.

The romantic comedy aspects were kind of cute, but really that's all they could be. The relationship between Harry and Ginny felt somewhat tacked on and forced- no where near as built up, foreshadowed, and meaningful as their relationship in the books. The relationship between Ron & Hermione was better handled as they are obviously saving that kiss up for the last film.

We only got 2 scenes of Tom Riddle pre-Voldemort. Both were done well, but a lot of nuance was missing without further exposition from Dumbledore and all the additional scenes. For example, absolutely no explanation was given for Voldemort's ring. Had I not read the books, it would've meant nothing to me that the camera shifted to the ring on Riddle's finger when Slughirn said "is it not bad enough to contemplate one murder, but SEVEN".

I suppose that's really my biggest complaint: too much story to fit into 2.5 hours, it feels like so much is missing.

Now, regarding Snape, as Plasma said I think Rickman's really been reigned in here. It was great that in the astronomy tower scene things were changed so that Snape and Harry each knows the other's there and that Harry let's Snape go to Dumbledore under the very distinct impression he's there to save the day- I really, REALLY liked that change. But where in the book Snape seemed incredibly torn and emotional and on the ragged edge- especially when Harry calls him a coward- Rickman just seems dead. I suppose that's one way to go, but I did not like it. You could tell Snape was torn up by killing Dumbledor, but rather than getting more and more outwardly emotional, movie-Snape just shut down.

I enjoyed it, but it's kind of hard not to have problems with this movie.

Yes | No

Arrgh!! I did not like this movie at all. Even ignoring the horrible mess of cutting out book elements to make a movie, the movie doesn't stand on its own.

The very title of the installment (Half Blood Prince) was almost totally ignored save for one or two scenes and a pathetic reveal at the end.

I also felt they destroyed one of the most important aspects of the growing up/adult life themes: realizing that Dumbledore isn't a shining hero - he has faults and worries and makes mistakes. They completely glossed over those things and had him be the look-up-to, always trust idol for Harry just like he was when Harry was freaking 10.