Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How does Gumbo taste like?

Yes | No

Default How does Gumbo taste like?

Ive heard of it in termsof the simpsons and people talking about it.

Is it some sort of sea food stew?

Anyone ever have it or tasted it?
    if i was christian i'd say: ZOMG jerusalem is in hands of the infadels!!!get ur swordz and lets pwnz0rs for G0d!!!!'

Lebell

Science Fucker Photobucket WarPhalange's Avatar

Yes | No

It tastes exactly how it sounds.

Registered Member Supporting Member bob's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Poop Loops
    It tastes exactly how it sounds.

Bubble gum stew?

Ka-Bar

Yes | No

What an odd question. It tastes seafood-y and spicy. There are variants, but the base stock is made of sauteed vegetables, seafood (usually shrimp) stock and a dark roux. Spices and meats are added, usually shrimp or prawns, crawdads, oysters, a firm fish like snapper or catfish and andouille sausage. Variations exist, with people throwing in other types of seafood, chicken, pork, etc. It should have okra in it, if there's no okra, it's not gumbo. It's then ladled over a bowl of hot white rice.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Ka-Bar
    What an odd question. It tastes seafood-y and spicy. There are variants, but the base stock is made of sauteed vegetables, seafood (usually shrimp) stock and a dark roux. Spices and meats are added, usually shrimp or prawns, crawdads, oysters, a firm fish like snapper or catfish and andouille sausage. Variations exist, with people throwing in other types of seafood, chicken, pork, etc. It should have okra in it, if there's no okra, it's not gumbo. It's then ladled over a bowl of hot white rice.
    Okra is a foul slimy disgusting substance... Use file powder (powdered sassafras) to add flavor and to thicken.

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

Okra foul and slimey? How are you cooking it to make it like that?

It's a crisp vegetable to me.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

In gumbo it is foul and slimy.

Ka-Bar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Japuma630
    Okra is a foul slimy disgusting substance... Use file powder (powdered sassafras) to add flavor and to thicken.
    Heathen. The file powder is added after cooking by the eater to their personal preference.

Like I said, there are variations, and some people are deeply entrenched in their preferences.

Yes | No

For me, gumbo - like menudo and goulash - are regionally different terms for the "throw that in there" stew.

Senior Member Photobucket Sun Wukong's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Ka-Bar
    I'm telling you right now that okra is not 100% necessary. Personally, I don't like okra so when I make gumbo, I don't use it. and the key ingredients are definitely dark roux and marjoram (not to be confused with margarine).

Everything else is pretty much up to the chef but I suggest mixing no less than 3 different kinds of meat (crawfish or shrimp is fine and, I've never made it without 1 of the 2).

Gumbo is a creole/cajun specialty and because of that there is a great deal of lee-way in it's preparation.

Edit: well, File' naturally. that goes without saying.
    Hail Hydra!

In the consciousness of the truth he has perceived, man now sees everywhere only the awfulness or the absurdity of existence and loathing seizes him. - Nietzsche