Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Transformers 2

Yes | No

Default Transformers 2

Well I saw this last night at midnight (and while I thought this made me a complete nerd, seeing the other people at the theatre made me realise I could be much worse), and my overall impression was good... not great, but good.

I fear this movie suffers a little from what I like to call the "Jurassic Park" effect. When JP first came out, everyone was like "holy shit dinosaurs in a live action movie!" By the second movie the gimmick wasn't so awesome anymore, and by the third movie no one cared about the Dinosaurs. Transformers may suffer from the same syndrome, with the first having a very strong "holy shit giant robots in live action!" impact which becomes less impressive in later sequels.

Let's break it down.

Pros:

- Giant robots Judo fighting with swords and guns in major cities. This is pretty much what made the original so fucking awesome in the first place, and this movie lives up well to it's predecesor. Lots of explosions.
    - Special effects looked top notch.
    - Meghan Fox is still rediculously hot.
    - I actually liked the plot. It's not literary genuis, it's science fiction. And from what my friend told me, it stayed very true to the original plot of the comic books.
    - Lots of humour in the characters. Corny humour like the first one, but it fit well.
    - They have no qualms about killing people in this movie, but the graphic violence is still PG-13 rated. No blood and gore.
    - They make allusions to both "President Obama" and "Swine flu". Extra points for recent social references.

Cons:

- It's bloody LONG. 2.5 hours, and there were many parts where it just kind of bumbled along without advancing the story at all. Too many parts added for comedic effect. They could have shaved at least a half an hour off the movie and it would have moved along at a better pace.
    - Shia's character still annoys the shit out of me.
    - There were a lot of setting discrepancies. At one point they are fighting somewhere on the eastern seaboard of the US, and the NEXT FRAME they are in the mountains in the middle of nowhere, apparently still engaged in the same battle. I wouldn't have noticed except that it was SO obvious and wierd, because I figured it would take a long time to get from the Eastern coast to anywhere remote and mountainy. There are some others parts like that, although none so glaring. The final parts of the movie seem to have an abundance of pyramids just scattered everywhere. I didn't know they were so common in Egypt.
    - Human reinforcements seem to pop up out of nowhere. A little wierd, but not enough to wreck the movie. It is sci-fi afterall.
    - They still didn't explain why all the robots created by the cube/parts are immediately evil.
    - In the plot, the existence of Giant dueling robots is still classified and hidden from the general public. Come on now. That's a real stretch after the carnage of the first movie. Governments aren't THAT good at covering shit up.
    - They give a very important item to the scrawny and slow human (shia lebouf) and expect him to get it to a very important location, instead of giving it the the giant, armoured, rocket shooting, high performance sports car that could get it there in a fraction of the time. Common sense much?
    - they have an annoying government faction who seems hell bent on doing the opposite of what obvisouly should be done in every situation. Annoying, unoriginal, and forced.

The cons seem to outnumber the pros, but only in quantity. Giant Judo fighting robots, combined with awesome special effects and a scantily clad Meghan Fox more than compensate for some of the annoying parts of the movie.

In closing, if you liked the original movie, and especially the original books/cartoon, you will love this movie. If you didn't really like the first movie and don't care about seeing Giant Dueling robots, then this movie won't really win you over.

It is definitely best experienced in the theatre, whatever your opinion.
    "Pranksters and LARPists write or call in threats. Guys like me claim responsibility.

-SFGoon.

"I can teach libs to love guns faster then I can teach cons to think, it seems."

-JohnnyCache

Yes | No

I had a midnight showing as well, so if you're a nerd for it, I am too (that...doesn't actually comfort me).

I have to disagree with you on the plot. It was too hazy, too in the background of the movie. A lot of things are suddenly added with no backstory, or perhaps for me the backstory was too contrived - too out of nowhere - for the plot developments to really go anywhere.

There were plenty of good characters - or there could have been if they were given a chance to have any depth. A whole lot of one-dimensional parts do not equal a multi-dimensional film. I would've liked to see less characters and more development with those characters - especially for a 2 1/2 hour movie.

Actually - the movie does follow the idea of the original cartoons very closely: sell merchandise. The explosions take longer than most of the dialogue scenes (and I'm talking about a single super-charged takedown, just one in a whole string of em). The messages are at one point nonexistant, and the next they're beating you over the head with it.

I guess Bay was listening to critics because what I heard most disliked in the first movie was the lack of Transformers doing anything but fight scenes, and in this one they are much more the focus of the movie.

Overall I liked it, it's a fan movie and it really shouldn't be more than that.

Spoiler:
    Also, fucking Devastator!! Wooo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    Nuts in general are super.

MrGalt

Yes | No

It really wrecked my suspension of disbelief when the old 'bot walked out the back of the Air and Space Museum and was suddenly in what looked like an air force base in Montana.

Is there a second Smithsonian I don't know about?

Yes | No

That site reminded me!! I almost screamed at this part in the movie:

Spoiler:
    They drop Optimus!! His saviorific metal body is carried back to base by helicopters and instead of placing him on the ground, or in some sort of carrying device (or even putting parachutes on him, like they did the second time) they just let go of the wires and drop him to the airfield like he wasn't some giant alien leader of a race that makes our toasters turn into missle platforms.

Yes | No

I liked the indirect jabbing at Obama.

Spoiler:
    Like when the government bureaucrat was being tricked into parachuting out of the plane, and he starts screaming "Bail out?! Bail out!"

And there was the argument the soldiers had with same bureaucrat about the futility of negotiating with bad guys.

Yes | No

I liked how Tyrese's only part in that movie was to stand there and not like the bureaucrat.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by MrGalt
    It really wrecked my suspension of disbelief when the old 'bot walked out the back of the Air and Space Museum and was suddenly in what looked like an air force base in Montana.

Is there a second Smithsonian I don't know about?
    They kinda goofed on that one...the actual exhibit is at the Steven Udvar-Hazy A&S at Dulles.

http://www.nasm.si.edu/events/eventD...m?eventID=1317
    http://www.biocrawler.com/w/images/e...es_Airport.jpg

MrGalt

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by taijiamn
    They kinda goofed on that one...the actual exhibit is at the Steven Udvar-Hazy A&S at Dulles.

http://www.nasm.si.edu/events/eventD...m?eventID=1317
    http://www.biocrawler.com/w/images/e...es_Airport.jpg
    You're right. Did I hallucinate them saying it was the A&SM?

Yes | No

Spoiler:
    Cranky old SR-71 wasn't as cool as cranky old WW1 plane would've been, but then I suppose you don't get the big = old & powerful. What did these ancient autobots disguise themselves as before passenger machines, anyway? Are there transformer windmills now?