Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to cook steak, the preferred method. (Vegetarians need not apply)

Yes | No

Default How to cook steak, the preferred method. (Vegetarians need not apply)

#1 - Start with quality meat, get it from a butcher who know what he he is doing. My preferred cut is the New York Strip, but Filet and Ribeye work just as well. Make sure that your butcher trims the hard fat and silver membrains from the meat. Meat should be room temp. when the cooking starts. I like my steaks cut to about 1 3/4" to 2" thick.
    #2 - Get a cast iron pan, this is essental as it heat holding abilites out shine the likes of stainless and aluminum. Heat said pan to as hot as you can get it, while at the same time preheat the oven to 500 degrees F. Prepare meat with a VERY light coat of a high smoke point oil (I use peanut, but canola and light olive works too), then sprinkle with salt and pepper. THATS IT FOR SEASONING.
    #3 - Unplug the smoke alarm.
    #4 - Put meat in to the pan, be sure not to overcrowd. There will be lots of smoke and noise, this a is a good thing. Now, leave it alone for 2 mins, don't touch it, don't think about touching it, don't even look at it. When the two mins. are up flip the steaks, you will notice the cooked side will be the perfect shade of cripsy. Let this side cook for 2 mins as well.
    #5 - Take entire pan and place it in the 500 degree oven. Before this however throw a pat of butter on top of each steak.
    #6 - Cook for several mins, depending on the amount of doneness desired (if you want medium pull out the steaks at medium-rare, there will be enough residual heat in the meat to finish the cooking)
    #7 - wrap in aluminum foil and place on cutting board for ATLEAST 5 mins.
    #8 - Unwrap and serve with creamed spinach, mashed potatos or sauteed mushrooms (cooked in the same pan with just more butter) and enjoy!

I'd like to hear how you prepare your mammal flesh as I am always looking to improve my meat. (/double entendre)

Yes | No

it all depends on the cut.

for something like flank steak I prefer to use a simmilar method to yours, but with clarified butter.
    i set the oven to 200 as I just use it to keep the meat warm.
    then i cook some shallots in the pan and add some butter, when they've softened i deglaze with some red wine vinegar.

for a rib steak or the like i use my grill. hot as i can get it, sear bolth sides and then serve.

the real key to good steak is to start with the meat at room temperature, this stops even extremely rare steaks from getting chewy.

Zendetta

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Japuma630
    #2 - Get a cast iron pan
    FAIL.

Steak goes on the Grill, Son.

Will she be set upon you? jubei33's Avatar

Yes | No

you need pictures before Mclovin gets to bizness
    Where have all the hobos gone to?

RESOLVE IS A DISHONEST PERSON.

http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

Science Fucker Photobucket WarPhalange's Avatar

Yes | No

Salt and pepper is all you use? What the fuck is wrong with you?

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

There is no one true steak recipe, trust me. It depends what cut you've got and what you're in the mood for.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Science Fucker Photobucket WarPhalange's Avatar

Yes | No

And whether or not you have any sort of sense of taste.

Registered Member staff EuropIan's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Poop Loops
    Salt and pepper is all you use? What the fuck is wrong with you?
    if the meat is good enough it's all you need.
    You are Ian's plaything, responding to his touch with shrieks of orgasmic delight. No woman in the history of the world is having better sex than sex you are having with Ian... in my head.

Yes | No

Japuma, I like the cut of your jib.

I also like using a pan.

-Salt and pepper beforehand.
    -Get the pan blazing.
    -Coat the meat with oil (not the pan)
    -Sear the shit out of it for 90-120 seconds per side

Here is where I stray...

For the last 20 seconds or so, put a glob of butter into the pan at the same time as crushed garlic and thyme or rosemary.

Turn once or twice as the herb infused butter coats both sides.

Don't dick around. Eat ASAP. Should still be close to sizzling upon serving.

Of course, I do this with relatively thin cuts of ribeye.

Thicker stuff on the grill, and...I don't mess with filets very often, so I dunno.

No oven usage for me.
    Last edited by Kein Haar; 4th June 09 at 05:41 PM.
    If your daughter isn't wearing her hijab, you can see it and slap her.

-Creativo

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

Fillets take to a stronger flavoured sauce, whether in the pan or on the grill. They're more tender but less strongly flavoured than ribeye.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.