Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lolita: the Book

Sirc

Yes | No

Default Lolita: the Book

Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta. She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line. But in my arms she was always Lolita. Did she have a precursor? She did, indeed she did. In point of fact, there might have been no Lolita at all had I not loved, one summer, an initial girl-child. In a princedom by the sea. Oh when? About as many years before Lolita was born as my age was that summer. You can always count on a murderer for fancy prose style. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, exhibit number one is what the seraphs, the misinformed, simple, noble-winged seraphs, envied. Look at this tangle of thorns.

Usually I try to read a novel a week. I average about .75 novels a week, but over the last 2 weeks I've only read 1 book. Lolita. Lo-lee-ta. It is a book that you must slowly read to fully understand how brilliant it is. How beautiful it is. And how wonderful it is.

The entire book is like watching someone do a ballet with the English language. Every Nobakov book that I read makes me feel so disgusting and burlesque by how average my handle of the written English language is. It isn't my first spoken or written language, but neither was it for him.

If you haven't read this, read it. It. Is. So. Amazing.

I cannot express, not even in the slightest, how brilliant Nobakov is. I cannot tell you how much I want to consume the wordplay, the puns and the amazing syntax that fills this book up with its beautiful and wonderful wordsmithing. What a wonderful, wonderful book.

Read it. Or don't, whatever your loss.
    Last edited by Sirc; 10th May 09 at 09:26 PM.

Yes | No

Tits or GTFO?

Seriously tho, this should be on my list, I know. I'll probably see if I can find it as an audio book. I seem to get into the classics better when they're read to me than if I read them myself.

Sirc

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Arjuna
    Tits or GTFO?

Seriously tho, this should be on my list, I know. I'll probably see if I can find it as an audio book. I seem to get into the classics better when they're read to me than if I read them myself.
    Do you use torrents?

I have torrents.

If not, I can see about uploading it to a file server.

Yes | No

I love using torrents, the wireless provider I use, does not. If I truly wanted to spring for cox, I'd hop on that shit as soon as possible, but right now the $30 a month less I pay is worth not having a static IP. I can always come to the gliderport and stea...err, upload public files through their wifi.

Sirc

Yes | No

http://static.open.salon.com/files/t...1229954876.jpg

Enjoy. Audiobook.

[Moderator's note: NO FILE SHARING, SIRC!]
    Last edited by Steve; 19th May 09 at 04:01 PM.

Sirc

Yes | No

I heard that it's corrupted though so torrent:

http://pajamajournalist.com/napping-...nd-kittens.jpg

[Moderator's note: NO FILE SHARING, SIRC!]
    Last edited by Steve; 19th May 09 at 04:02 PM.

Yes | No

Many thanks, o creepy-eyed one of the long-chins.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta. She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line. But in my arms she was always Lolita. Did she have a precursor? She did, indeed she did. In point of fact, there might have been no Lolita at all had I not loved, one summer, an initial girl-child. In a princedom by the sea. Oh when? About as many years before Lolita was born as my age was that summer. You can always count on a murderer for fancy prose style. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, exhibit number one is what the seraphs, the misinformed, simple, noble-winged seraphs, envied. Look at this tangle of thorns.

Usually I try to read a novel a week. I average about .75 novels a week, but over the last 2 weeks I've only read 1 book. Lolita. Lo-lee-ta. It is a book that you must slowly read to fully understand how brilliant it is. How beautiful it is. And how wonderful it is.

The entire book is like watching someone do a ballet with the English language. Every Nobakov book that I read makes me feel so disgusting and burlesque by how average my handle of the written English language is. It isn't my first spoken or written language, but neither was it for him.

If you haven't read this, read it. It. Is. So. Amazing.

I cannot express, not even in the slightest, how brilliant Nobakov is. I cannot tell you how much I want to consume the wordplay, the puns and the amazing syntax that fills this book up with its beautiful and wonderful wordsmithing. What a wonderful, wonderful book.

Read it. Or don't, whatever your loss.
    Someone finally fucking agrees with me about Lolita (and Nabokov). All the tards where I live say one of three things when I mention this:
    "I've never heard of it"
    "Isn't that book about pedophilia?"
    or "If you like stories about love, you should read twilight."

Registered Member billy sol hurok's Avatar

Yes | No

By gum, there's hope for you yet Sirc.

Any chance the audio version was read by James Mason?

Kubrick's version was deeply flawed -- how could it not be? -- but Mason was brilliant. And Sellers as Quilty was darkly hilarious, maybe his most underrated performance. Even the blowsy, baying Shelly Winters was used to perfection.

Registered Member Supporting Member bob's Avatar

Yes | No

A fine, fine book.